Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Canadian Muslim sitcom--Feedback needed.

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Mowhawk
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

New Canadian Muslim sitcom--Feedback needed.

Postby Mowhawk » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:32 am

I think it premiered last night in Canada on CBC.

Did anyone see it? How was it? Does it educate or address Muslim stereotypes?

Check their website. You can watch clips of the show.

http://www.littlemosque.ca/

Little Mosque on the Praire.

OTTAWA, (AFP) - Canada's public broadcaster CBC hopes to lighten religious tensions between this country's Christian majority and Muslims with a new sitcom, "Little Mosque on the Prairie."

The show is a parody of the acclaimed US drama "Little House on the Prairie" (1974-1983), starring Michael Landon and Melissa Gilbert, about the life and adventures of the Ingalls family in the 19th century American West.

But instead of raising pitchforks, tumbling down hills and selling eggs at the general store, this fictional Muslim family struggles to find its place in Canada's vast western prairies in a post-September 11, 2001 world.

CBC spokesman Jeff Keay said Monday the broadcaster has ordered eight episodes and will begin airing them in January.

"The producers recognize that this is a potentially sensitive topic," Keay said.

The Roman Catholic pope Benedict XVI's recent comments on Islam, an alleged Toronto terror plot foiled in June and attacks on mosques have divided Canadians lately, he acknowledged.

"But, the show is a comedy. We hope people will laugh," he said.

Liverpool-born filmmaker Zarqa Nawaz wrote and produced the satire.

Her previous films include "BBQ Muslims" about two brothers who are suspected of being terrorists after their barbecue blows up, and "Real Terrorists Don't Belly Dance."

Her production company is called Fundamentalist Films; its motto is to put the "fun back into fundamentalism," according to its website.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/arts/ ... nd&emc=rss

Copy.&.Paste
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Copy.&.Paste » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:35 pm

Salam Moe,

Yes I watched the show last night. Infact I made thread yesterday on "Little Mosque on the Praire". Yet you went and made thread anyways huh? Very Happy

I was worried the show would paint muslims in bad light. But it didn't {well mostly in my view}. Instead it made Muslim stereotypes look ridiculous.

Overall I enjoyed the show and I plan on watching it next week if they air it.

Here are links below on the show. I recommend you don't watched them if you are able to watch or download the whole show .

A clip from CNN on the show and creator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uT-StoC ... ed&search=

Here another clip from CBC on the show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUnnG-m8 ... ed&search=

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.