Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WHO IS GOING TO SOMALIA THIS SUMMER?

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
HELWAA
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

WHO IS GOING TO SOMALIA THIS SUMMER?

Postby HELWAA » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:31 am

The last time i was in somalia it was 15 years ago and i dont remember anything of it and now this summer inshallah if allah wishes i'm going there. Just the thougt of it scares the hell of me.Sad

I'm afraid that i'm gonna be a foreigner in my own country. Sad

It's somone who have the same feelings? Confused

Steeler [Crawler2]
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: WHO IS GOING TO SOMALIA THIS SUMMER?

Postby Steeler [Crawler2] » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:41 am

Be more afraid of being gang raped. If you are going anywhere south of Mudug, you are not going to a friendly, happy-go-lucky place.

HELWAA
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby HELWAA » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:44 am

I'M GOING TO SOMALILAND Cool

Steeler [Crawler2]
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Steeler [Crawler2] » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:44 am

Pretty safe. You should have a good time. It's cheap, people are friendly there. I liked Hargeisa.

HELWAA
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby HELWAA » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:55 am

So mad you have been in hargeysa......when Confused

Navy9
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Navy9 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:02 am

A friend of mine just came back from Somaliland, although she was happy to go back & see her family & relatives but she was not so happy with how things are run over there. From how she was describing things, i got the impression that women there are considered as second citizen! Not so cool Confused But anyways, its safe being there!

Steeler [Crawler2]
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Steeler [Crawler2] » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:05 am

Navy
It's a Muslim country. Of course women are considered second class citizens over there.

Helwaa
Two years ago. It's hot. But it's clean and safe, and pretty cheap.

HELWAA
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby HELWAA » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:08 am

[quote="Navy9"]A friend of mine just came back from Somaliland, although she was happy to go back & see her family & relatives but she was not so happy with how things are run over there. From how she was describing things, i got the impression that women there are considered as second citizen! Not so cool Confused But anyways, its safe being there![/quote]

The men think they are the best Surprised ...whats new Shocked

Steeler [Crawler2]
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Steeler [Crawler2] » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:20 am

And in Somaliland, you can get a beer at the hotels.....cheap Ethiopian beer, but in that heat, it goes down well.

Manaking
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Manaking » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:49 am

Mad Mac

In Islam Man and Woman are twin souls and equal .
in Africa women are known to care of business and house .

Esp in Somaliland , did you miss all the woman in the jewellery stores or money exchange ?
They are also very active in real estate SL also import .

Helwaa my sister
The only thing you should be afraid is getting bored in some villa if you dont have a plan!
I believe the idea is to get a camera , digital or/ and dvd video camera.
And find yourself a plan for your trip.

Visit the Berbera beach or Saylac coral reef , islands the water and beach over there is fantastic. Also try to get some 40 km outside Hargeisa to a place called " Las Geel " its ancient and full of cave paintings dating 5000 bc .
Yes Somaliland is old !

And also try to visit " beeraha
for example Barkhadle or Gebilay for seeing wildlife and lush earth.
There are lots of things you can do to entertain yourself and have nice trip
Go to the animal market where they sell sheeps , cows , camels every morning.

Since you are going summer time the temperature can be from 30 - 35 c in the middle of the day. So try to wake up early when its cooler 20-24 C and see the city.
Get out of centrum Hargeisa and see the outskirts of the city
Visit Mansoor Hotel have a nice meal and ask for Hargeisa Zoo
but be careful and do not go close to the adult lions if you are lucky they may have baby lions you can hold.

lots of somali girls often do the mistake of justing cruising around in a car and maybe buy some juice see Hargeisa centrum and then go home bored and watch TV.
The best is to visist relatives and friends hear their stories often they can be very interesting and by this way you can learn alot of standard somali from them.

Have a very nice trip Helwaa and thank you for Islamic info .
If you can try to stay a day or two in Dubai also !
seek hotels dubai and try online booking.
very cheap

Steeler [Crawler2]
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Steeler [Crawler2] » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:53 am

Manaking
There is theory, and there is reality. Somaliland reflects more of reality, although for sure there are plenty of women in all sorts of shops engaged in buisiness.

The cool thing about Somaliland (besides the things you pointed out - though I never got out of the capital) is while it is a Muslim society, it is not of the "up tight, women won't talk to you, can't have a drink" variety like you see in Saudi Arabia.

Manaking
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Manaking » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:58 am

yes I'm glad for that we dont need saudi wahabism .

However it really is a shame a soldier like you never got out of Hargeisa Wink !
I think you would have loved Saylac also known as Zeila .
The city is over 1000 years old and very little has changed .

Have you ever seen Berbera city and the beach ?
I tasted the food over there and its 10 times better then any Hargeisa restaurante .

Have any plans of going back to SL Mac

Steeler [Crawler2]
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Steeler [Crawler2] » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:01 am

I am thinking about going back this summer actually. I would like to visit some of my friends in Djibouti and then hit up Somaliland before heading off to Thailand. I don't know if I can make it work logistically though.

qudhac-m
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby qudhac-m » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:06 am

Mad Mac

Somaliland can never be radical like the Wahabi Sauds because of the culture difference, Sufism is so strong that it jas a 80%
followers of the pabulation.

Halwa
Been there last year augst and heading back this month, its pretty cool the best thing about is that pple
will crack you up you can hardly breath of laughter.
Is the world capitol of the comedy and its pretty cheap.
The best time is the rainy season in april.

Suldaan qudhac maygaag

Manaking
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Manaking » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:08 am

Of course you can.

You are not the only one making three trips in one Cool
Djibouti - Hargeisa ticket is not more than 100-150 USD
taking 1 hour to fly .

If you are smart and plan to stay maybe some time rent a villa as the russian pilots do.
its cheaper then ambassador hotel for example.

You know I recently visited a bird page praising Somalia birdlife and hoping one day there would be peace so they could go there for birdwatching.
It was a big website and club .

Funny thing is most of the birds they listed + habitat is in Somaliland.
W/galbeed , Sanaag , Togdheer . only the bulo burti bird discovered by Somalias only biologist or something back in the 80s was in the south exclusive .

It all depends on what you like to do Mac
Thailand is awesome ... you own a house over there ?

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.