Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Intelligent People Tend To Be Unhappy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Daanyeer
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Why Intelligent People Tend To Be Unhappy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Daanyeer » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:50 pm

Source: scribd
Posted 8 days ago by Builder

Description: The rates of suicide, imprisonment and emotional dysfunction among highly intelligent people are much higher than for the average. Many are socially and emotionally underdeveloped or maldeveloped. Read on to learn why.
Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.

- Ernest Hemingway, author and journalist, Nobel laureate (1899-1961)

Hemingway, who took his own life in 1961, knew his share of both intelligent people and of unhappiness. He lived through two world wars, the Great Depression, four wives and an unknown number of failed romantic relationships, none of which would help him to develop happiness if he knew how.

As Hemingway's quote was based on his life experience, I will base the following speculation on both my personal and my professional experience as a sociologist. Not enough study exists to quote on this subject.

Western society is not set up to nurture intelligent children and adults, the way it dotes over athletes and sports figures, especially the outstanding ones. While we have the odd notable personality such as Albert Einstein, we also have many extremely intelligent people working in occupations that are considered among the lowliest, as may be attested by a review of the membership lists of Mensa (the club for the top two percent on intelligence scales).

Education systems in countries whose primary interest is in wealth accumulation encourage heroes in movies, war and sports, but not in intellectual development. Super intelligent people manage, but few reach the top of the business or social ladder.

Children develop along four streams: intellectual, physical, emotional (psychological) and social. In classrooms, the smartest kids tend to be left out of more activities by other children than they are included in. They are "odd," they are the geeks, they are social outsiders. In other words, they do not develop socially as well as they may develop intellectually or even physically where opportunities may exist for more progress.

Their emotional development, characterized by their ability to cope with risky or stressful situations, especially over long periods of time, also lags behind that of the average person.

Adults tend to believe that intelligent kids can deal with anything because they are intellectually superior. This inevitably includes situations where the intelligent kids have neither knowledge nor skills to support their experience. They go through the tough times alone. Adults don't understand that they need help and other kids don't want to associate with kids the social leaders say are outsiders.

As a result we have many highly intelligent people whose social development progresses much slower than that of most people and they have trouble coping with the stressors of life that present themselves to everyone. It should come as no surprise that the vast majority of prison inmates are socially and emotionally underdeveloped or maldeveloped and a larger than average percentage of them are more intelligent than the norm.

Western society provides the ideal incubator for social misfits and those with emotional coping problems. When it comes to happiness, people who are socially inept and who have trouble coping emotionally with the exigencies of life would not be among those you should expect to be happy.

This may be changing in the 21st century as the geeks gain recognition as people with great potential, especially as people who might make their fortune in the world of high technology. Geeks may be more socially accepted than in the past, but unless they receive more assistance with their social and emotional development, most are destined to be unhappy as they mature in the world of adults.

People with high intelligence, be they children or adults, still rank as social outsiders in most situations, including their skills to be good mates and parents.

Moreover, they tend to see more of the tragedy in the communites and countries they live in, and in the world, than the average person whose primary source of news and information is comedy shows on television. Tragedy is easier to find than compassion, even though compassion likely exists in greater proportion in most communities.

Bill Allin

'Turning It Around: Causes and Cures for Today's Epidemic Social Problems,' striving to make the difficult problems easier to understand so someone can change the system.

Learn more at http://billallin.com

Reuter
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Re: Why Intelligent People Tend To Be Unhappy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Reuter » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:41 pm

So u are saying geeks have more chances of being unhappy due to their super intellengencia? No i refuse that easy notion.I say they are unhappy due to their awkwardness, social ineptness, and nerdiness? Well the author sort of agrees with me of course but definitely intelligence has nothing to do with their unhappiness. lol Too much intelligence means sadness? No, way! I bet the author based all this solely on Hemingway. I bet he was his ONLY inspiration. Hemingway suffered from depression, a mental illness.(just like lionheart lol) Geeks are unhappy? Bill Gates is not. Cilmiile seems happy from the looks of it. Prag maybe--maybe not, her moodiness borderlines depression.Gamdid, well he is not intelligent, just clever.Have u heard of the geek squard? They seem pretty happy to me, despite from wearing bible salesman uniforms.Although i do agree being intelligent has its own problems, what do they say- ignorance is bliss? Laughing
Last edited by Reuter on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bagamundo
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Bagamundo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:44 pm

Give up something to gain some.

You can't wanting to have it all. That's why i always leave my brain when i want to have fun. Laughing

Ismahan445
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Ismahan445 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:08 pm

I think its absurd to say intelligence makes someone unhappy rather its the indivitual's personality.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.