Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

D&M were not the only one to practice 'adoption'

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Warsame101
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

D&M were not the only one to practice 'adoption'

Postby Warsame101 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:44 am

According to Dr. Enrico Cerulli, Hawiye was another tribe that practiced this type of adoption.

He says:
"We have seen how those who genealogically belong to the tribe (and are of an age to bear arms) participate in the assembly. But the Somali tribe also included other categories of peoples and families who were part of it by a different right and were dependents of the chief of the tribe itself. The first, and historically and juridically the most important, of the institutions of the consuetudinary law by which one could become part of the tribe, even though being a stranger to its traditional genealogy, was the gentilitial adoption. An individual, a family, or a group of families could be adopted into a Hawiyya tribe. The adopting one could be, from time to time, the whole tribe -- and for it, therefore, the tribal chief --; one of the peoples ( families, clans) of the tribe with recognized autonomy and its own pater gentis; one of the families of a people. The adoption, if made by a people or by a family, must have the consent of the chief of the tribe; and, if by a family, that of the chief of the people and of the chief of the tribe."

galia
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: D&M were not the only one to practice 'adoption'

Postby galia » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:52 am

Everyone knows that hawiya adopted

Muru-sade--the oldest sibling of merehan

sacad and saleebaan-------Lost sons of Ogaden

xawadle---who are tanade darood

shekiehal----who are also darood

Ajuuraan-----some old somali subclan who could be dir

And maybe alot more others.

galia
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby galia » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:55 am

Also it is well known that D and G were originally from a darood sub clan that heavily intermarried with oromos that's why they speak broken somali.

Warsame101
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Warsame101 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:55 am

Sade is a Dir name, nicknamed by our Dir abtiyaal. So Muru-sade was probably an ancient Dir clan.

galia
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby galia » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:01 pm

I even heard that some Gaaljecels claim to be darood.

So Hawiya clan is a federation not affiliated by blood but rather as a united southern somali clans against other somali clans comming from the north and east of the Horn.

Warsame101
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Warsame101 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:46 pm

According to Dr. Enrico Cerulli, Gaaljecel and Abgaal were the two tribes in Hawiye that adopted the most.

galia
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby galia » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:05 pm

Actually merehans is the somali qabil that adopted the most, they assimilate into their clans oromos and Bantus like there's no tomorrow, especially the merehans in Gedo and NFD do this.

Karbaash_killa
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Karbaash_killa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:15 pm

Lol ..Galia you litle sell out midgaan....

Warsame.... aboowe Hawiye is Hawiye end of story.. sometimes i dunno weathe to be flattered by your facination or Envy out the Powerful Hawiye tribe...

So many daroods dry to assosiate Hawiye clans to them self.. ..you'll hear it all the time...

Darood dude " Did you know reer hebel ar actually one of us" ... you guys crakc me up... on the contrary you'll never catch a Hawiye claiming to have anything to do with dooros..lol

ps. i know many galjecels and Xawadles and i have never ever heard or met anyone who have even heard of any assosiation with dooros.. its a complete and utter joke... well warsame you got want you wanted .. A LAUGH OUT LOUD!

Warsame101
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Warsame101 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:24 pm

Galia, this is not a topic discussing hearsay and myths. I have read Dr. Enrico Cerulli's piece called ;Texts of the consuetudinary law of the Marehan Somali' There he discusses that the more Mareexaan pushed to south, the more laws they created in order to seperate them from the other Somalis they conquered.

Karbaash_killa, if you call this fascination or 'envy Very Happy' sxb then you are greatly mistaken. I am just revealing information that tells a whole different story than what some been raised up with. Adopting genealogies is something that is alien and prohibited in the Diin.

Since most Hawiye subclans have been adopted in to the greater Hawiye, how will this affect your abtiris?

galia
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby galia » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:44 pm

Warsame101 as a sacad the only merehan subclan that i have respect for is reer wardghac, these people stayed around Mudug and Galgadud for over 200 yrs, they have effectively resisted our constant invasions and attacks whislt we forcebly pushed the the Majority of the other merehans further south, 120 yrs ago u would have seen the Majority of merehans within Mudug and Galgadud, but however they have been tossed aside by the emerging Haber Gider subclans into the south.

Warsame101 please tell me why ur so called merehan intermarrige laws have not stopped u guys from marrying oromos and bantus.

Gedo is the worst place where merehans and bantus interbreed constantly, I guess if u have adoons in ur area ur going to have to absorb them, like the merahans are doing in gedo.

Warsame101
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Warsame101 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:58 pm

Galia, telling fables is not my section, if you are going to make a claim or an assertion, either provide an academic reference that will substaniate. Do not come to me with unfounded assertions and especially refuted assertions.

Mareexaan were never pushed south nor where they originally from Mudug. Mareexaan along with Daarood first settled in Northern Somalia but gradually pushed down south with Absame whilst Harti stayed behind pushing North-West.

Evidence:
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/6157/mapnw1.gif (mid-nineteenth century)

The final push toke place around the time of the late Maxamed Cabdulle Xasan (RH) whom we assisted by migrating and providing forces to the south. Turton writes, "the Marehan who came south were by and large, his supporters and many at some time fought with him"

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/2002/makj9.png

Whilst Hawiye were adopting larger and larger groups, Mareexaan devised laws and imposed it.

Now the burden is on you to provide evidence where Mareexaan intermarried with Oromos or Bantus, not that I am against it by the way.

By the way, there are no Oromos and Bantus in Gedo, do not confuse it with the Jubbas.

galia
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby galia » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Hey Warsame101 absame have always lived in Ogaden and many other parts of somalia, they never allowed other somali clans to move them out from their turf, If merehans were from north and centre of somalia there must have been some people that were pushing them forcibly into the south.

Sacad and saleebaan fought hard against wargdhac and they never gave us a inch of thier turf, that is why we have come to respect and allow them to reside amongt us all over Mugdud and Galgadud, whilst petty clans like the dir that attempted to out stage us were inflicted with severe blows, check out the historical clan battles between sacad and dir in the early 60s over scarce water usage, i u will see how dir got pushed out to the south.

Warsame101
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Warsame101 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:26 pm

Galia, this is an academic discussion sxb, do not spoil it with your pseudo-history.

galia
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby galia » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:36 pm

Well what do u want me to say? Do want me to say that merehans rule the holy city of mecca, is that academic enough for u.

sadeboi
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby sadeboi » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:24 pm

Warsame these guys will not bring you any kind of academic info and all you will see is the typical nac-nac and hearsay, so its best if you do not reply to them.

The SADE laws Warsame was speaking of:

http://lucy.ukc.ac.uk/EthnoAtlas/Hmar/M ... riage.3912

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.