Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What role should women have?

This forum is dedicated for women, beautiful Somali ladies.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
BVSNet
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

What role should women have?

Postby BVSNet » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:10 pm

In my experience women usually have a strong opinion on how we (as a gender) should live. Be it in education/employment routes, when to get married, when to have kids, whether to be working mothers or stay at home...

In the Somali context I have seen Somali women saying women have no place in politics or leadership. What's your take and also what have your experiences been when interacting with other females?

I remember reading an article that said negative stereotypes usually manifest most strongly in the minority groups that they are used against. This would then present itself for example in the case where a recruitment professional from a certain minority background might discriminate against people like them etc. So used in the case of women, are we our biggest downfall?

Bella18
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: What role should women have?

Postby Bella18 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:05 pm

Macaaneeey, females shouldn't be peddling in politics. We're too emotional for that field! :mrgreen:

BVSNet
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby BVSNet » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:28 pm

Macaaneeey, females shouldn't be peddling in politics. We're too emotional for that field! :mrgreen:
I hope you are trying to wind me up

Bella18
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Bella18 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:19 pm

I was expecting long essay reply. :down: :lol:

zulaika
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby zulaika » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:31 pm

It's true that women sometimes are obstacles to their own happiness.

If you're talking about the women who are inadvertently keeping other women down...as a result of some hidden marginalizing agenda they are unaware of themselves, are women then just tools to be used as such by men? Or they are wicked in owning the authoring of such plot against other women? Cuts both ways.

What's good for women has long been tampered with and poisoned; afterwhich an anecdote in the form of feminism was later offered to sooth the ailment. We are now at odds with its benefits or downfall; you may choose your camp.

In a perfect scenario, where whatever that hinder our happiness is removed(whether it was handed to us or to our merit)....some women, in my opinion, who are living lives agreeable to whatever their plans/goals were...still manage to find themselves unhappy or unfulfilled, they are too focused on "achieving", so much that when they actually "achieve", are unable to see the prize at hand....and still are on the hunt for something better.

We women can be too complex for our own good; I can speak from experience in falling into many of what I've noted.

Sharmarke91
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Sharmarke91 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:41 pm

This is a man's world, Sorry there is no role for women.

PanSomaliNationalist
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby PanSomaliNationalist » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:44 pm

If a women is the best for the job than sure.

zulaika
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby zulaika » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:58 pm

This is a man's world, Sorry there is no role for women.
Thought the question was which role is appropriate....but u say no role at all? Lol it's a mans world where men do EVERYTHING!! I can live with this :)

Macarons
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Macarons » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:53 pm

In the Somali context I have seen Somali women saying women have no place in politics or leadership. What's your take and also what have your experiences been when interacting with other females?
My experiences have been mixed; both postive and negati ve like most things in life. From a career perspective, it has been more of a challenge in interviews. I sense female interviewers put more emphasis on their intuitive judgement; whether they like your personality, how you will fit in and gel with them in future, can they bother dealing with you daily? Is there familiarity? Are you too different and hence have zero in common?. Girl, are you husband-searching or looking for a worker. So based on this likeability score and your CV, a decision is made to hire you.

Sadly, I tend to much prefer male interviewers and bosses. It is more fact-based and less faffing about. Have the skills and papers? Boom. You're hired.

SultanOrder

Postby SultanOrder » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:32 pm

In my experience women usually have a strong opinion on how we (as a gender) should live. Be it in education/employment routes, when to get married, when to have kids, whether to be working mothers or stay at home...

I remember reading an article that said negative stereotypes usually manifest most strongly in the minority groups that they are used against. This would then present itself for example in the case where a recruitment professional from a certain minority background might discriminate against people like them etc. So used in the case of women, are we our biggest downfall?
Women are like the Kapos used by the nazis in the death camps. They have internalized their oppression and secondary role that if another woman starts to challenge things they are the first line.

BVSNet
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby BVSNet » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:20 am

I was expecting long essay reply. :down: :lol:
Dhibley :lol:

In a perfect scenario, where whatever that hinder our happiness is removed(whether it was handed to us or to our merit)....some women, in my opinion, who are living lives agreeable to whatever their plans/goals were...still manage to find themselves unhappy or unfulfilled, they are too focused on "achieving", so much that when they actually "achieve", are unable to see the prize at hand....and still are on the hunt for something better.

We women can be too complex for our own good; I can speak from experience in falling into many of what I've noted.
So Prince was right, we're never satisfied?

The number of times I've seen guys list the three things they need to be happy, ask a woman the same question and chances are most of us would struggle with it

Estranged

Postby Estranged » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 pm

Women are like the Kapos used by the nazis in the death camps. They have internalized their oppression and secondary role that if another woman starts to challenge things they are the first line.

True. It's hard to get my head around, but this is the reality for many women.

EvolSyawla
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: A woman proud of who she is cannot be made to feel otherwise of who she is not.

Postby EvolSyawla » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:01 am

My experiences have been mixed; both postive and negati ve like most things in life. From a career perspective, it has been more of a challenge in interviews. I sense female interviewers put more emphasis on their intuitive judgement; whether they like your personality, how you will fit in and gel with them in future, can they bother dealing with you daily? Is there familiarity? Are you too different and hence have zero in common?. Girl, are you husband-searching or looking for a worker. So based on this likeability score and your CV, a decision is made to hire you.

Sadly, I tend to much prefer male interviewers and bosses. It is more fact-based and less faffing about. Have the skills and papers? Boom. You're hired.

You are right, but for me it's 1 then the other and I am not ashamed to admit it. I only call in qualified folks for interviews. From there I see if they are really capable of what they wrote through questions and seeing their responses. This is the easy part because I ask matter of fact questions and see how well they understand and sift through the bullshit/sugar coating.

All the while, I make sure to keep note of their behavior and if he/she looks at their phone or watch at any point, picks their nose {{(WALAAAAHI someone picked their nose while I was talking to him...I asked him if he needs the washroom and made a point to say you should not pick your nose when you are in public places esp during an interview. Before the interview was over, he looked down and picked his nose again. I said don't touch anything on your way out lol I still can't believe that happened.}}, or does any funny/sketchy stuff then they move to the bottom of the pile.

It is what it is. If you're working on your 1s be weird, but if I know you will have trouble following rules, direction or embarass us with clients buh byee :arrow:

Ben Dover
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Ben Dover » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:12 am

All the while, I make sure to keep note of their behavior and if he/she looks at their phone or watch at any point, picks their nose {{(WALAAAAHI someone picked their nose while I was talking to him...I asked him if he needs the washroom and made a point to say you should not pick your nose when you are in public places esp during an interview. Before the interview was over, he looked down and picked his nose again. I said don't touch anything on your way out lol I still can't believe that happened.}}, or does any funny/sketchy stuff then they move to the bottom of the pile.
Did you consider the person might have been suffering from rhinotillexomania?

Macarons
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Macarons » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:25 pm

You are right, but for me it's 1 then the other and I am not ashamed to admit it. I only call in qualified folks for interviews. From there I see if they are really capable of what they wrote through questions and seeing their responses. This is the easy part because I ask matter of fact questions and see how well they understand and sift through the bullshit/sugar coating.

It is what it is. If you're working on your 1s be weird, but if I know you will have trouble following rules, direction or embarass us with clients buh byee :arrow:
That's gross. I hope you have a box of kleenex on your desk from now on.

My worst interview was with about 5 women interviewing me in a large room where they all sat across this large table from me. My glass of water was finished half-way through from the nerves. :lol: They had so many questions including irrelevant personal questions and just seemed to have sticks up their rear ends. The last interview was so much better, only 3 men and 1 women asking questions to the point.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.