Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The tragedy of Mandaluug Dir and their dispersion

Dadka ku dhaqan ama ka imaaday gobolkan

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Thanato

The tragedy of Mandaluug Dir and their dispersion

Postby Thanato » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:04 am

1. Daauud Madaluug (Gadabursi Madaluug Dir) 
2. Isaaq Madaluug (Isaaq Madaluug Dir)
3. Reer Ahmed (Ahmed Madaluug Dir)
4. Reer Xasan (Xasan Madaluug Dir)
5. Jire Madaluug Dir
6. Irrable Madaluug Dir
7. Geelwaaqle Madaluug Dir
8. Masalalay Madaluug Dir
9. Xuseen Madaluug Dir

Only the Gadabursi stayed in their traditional homeland. The rest dispersed in Somali Galbeed and the South after the Abyssinian crusades.

Thanato

Re: The tragedy of Mandaluug Dir and their dispersion

Postby Thanato » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:10 am

The Madaluug Dir in Western Somali Region (So-called Ogaden) were in the 1870s pushed South in large numbers during the Menelike Amhara invasions from Tug Fafaan down to Beledweyn and Dolow region where they settled with other Dir groups.

The 1880 famines which caused Amahara millitias of Menelike to reach as far South as Beledweyn and Eel Buur in order to raid Somali herds to finance his invasion of Southern Muslim lands, pushed the Manadaluug in large numbers, dispersing them, mostly found other Dir groups and settled with their kinsmen even though impoverised.

This coupled with Ogaden/Absame raids who lost their life stock to Amhara dwindelled the once powerful Madaluug today they are about 120,000 strong but very dispersed over large territories in Western Somalia and Jubba / Shabeelle valley.

In 1880s, the Menelik forces who were expanding and raiding the farming villages of upper Shabeelle and exacting tribute from Somali nomads in villages of upper shabeelle and exacting tribute from nomades at the dry-season watering sites

These raids led to the destruction of many Dir groups which included the Mandaluug, Bajimaal, Gadsan and Suure, which caused many to move futher south.

These raids also motivated many Darood clansman like the Ogadeen and Mareehan to move inland fearing the vicious Amhara Christian raids,these Darood Somali clans fled into Somalia and away from these aggressive blood thirsty Christian Amhars.

There are nine distinct Southern Madaluug Dir in Kenya, Doollo/ Nageele and Jubba Shabelle Valley. The remaining are in Harrara and Western Somali regions

Reer Isaaq ( Largest group) Live in Godey, Qabri Dahare, Shilaaba Jarati and Jubba Shabeele valley. The Mekhaahil subclan lives in Jilib -Kismaayo area

Reer Ahmed- Shilaaba, Jarati and large numbers in Kismayo,Jamaame, Afmadow mixed with Bimaal, Suure and their Gadsan Kinsman

Reer Hassan are in Godey, Qallafe and Nageelle. Large numbers live in Hiiraan and own farms with their Suure (Fiqi cumar and Fiqi Muxummed) The Reer Nuure live West of Baladweyn. The Reer Maajuun live in Bay Region with the Quranyow Maxammed Dir and some settelled amounf Rahanweyn Eelay. The Reer Majuun and a Madaxweyn Dir group the Reer Aw Said live in this are.

Jirre Madaluug- only group remaining in Tog Faafan, Jigjigga

Masalalay- NFD Kenya Bardheere Dollow

Reer Xuseen

Samaroon Saciid of Awad proper Gadabuursi

Reer Majjuun amoung Eelay and Quranyow Maxammed Garre Dir of Bay

Makahiil large numbers amoungst Dir Bimaal and Surre of Jammaame and spreading out as far as Afmadow and Kismayo. Also in NFD amoung Quranyow and Dir of Bardheere and Doolow Ado. In this region the Mandaluug live closely with the Reer Yaxye, Dheere Madaxweyn and R. Dayo

Buufow Ethiopia near great bend of Shabeelle Xamaro Xaddad

Angoolle and Xeeble and Reer Nuure all live in Dollow but own large farms West of Beledweyn this group alone numbers about 22,000 souls.

Even though most Dir geneologies record that Dir had 4 Sons Madaxweyn, Madoobe and Mahe Dir and Mandaluug Dir which includes the Samaroon Saciid and Mandaluug clans of the south. I was suprised by the Lower Jube and Shabeelle account of the Mandaluug Dir. And this was observed in Kenya, most Mandaluug identify themselves as Mandaluug Maxammed and they Say that Mandaluug and Samaroon are the sons of Mahe Dir Maxammed Xiniftire. This claim would make the Mandaluug of south direct cousines of the Biyomaal Maxammed, Baajimal Maxammed, Quranyow Maxammed (Garre) and Dabruub. Also the Surre ( Cabdalle and Qubeys clans of South and Mudug). I was also suprised to see quite a number of Madiigaan clans who referred to Mandaluug as Abti (maternal uncles because they said their lineages were Baho Samaroon. The Madigaan and Barsuug (Barsuuk I saw identified with the numerous Mahe Dir in the region stated they were Curads of Dir because they are Madaxweyn Dir) especially the Mandaluug their are part of the same Diya groups of Madaxweyn Dir Hordare (Alaab weyne clans)

balwarama
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby balwarama » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:33 am

Waryaa, there is nothing tragic about their presence in Qoraxay. They are in alliance with the Royal family, simply known as reer Ugaas and thriving. You said, they r called reer Isaaq. We only know them as Madaluug. Im going to respect and love them even more. Thanks for the info

Raidboss
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Raidboss » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:29 am

Surre living in Jamaame is news to me but this tragedy can be turned around to a blessing since those lands are the most fertile.

Thanato

Postby Thanato » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:32 am

The Darood regimes of the past always attempted to dwindle Dir numbers in all Somali territories.

The reality is Dir is the biggest clan in the Horn of Africa.

The Mandaluug Dir have many subclans. The strongest is the Gadabursi.

mahoka
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby mahoka » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:37 am

LoooL qudhunbiirsi ain't shit and you know that

Thanato

Postby Thanato » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:51 am

LoooL qudhunbiirsi ain't shit and you know that
I, certainly do know my identity and where I'm from and who I'm related to and my ancestors.

Can't say the same for a clan who doesn't know who they're biological father was who is Iraqi one day, Dir another day and Irir Samaale another day. Although, we all know your father was Bucur Bacayr.

Ben Dover
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Ben Dover » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:57 am

WTF is Mandaluug :lol:

Dir doing some more clan-shopping I see.

Its a little sad actually.

Thanato

Postby Thanato » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:03 am

WTF is Mandaluug :lol:

Dir doing some more clan-shopping I see.

Its a little sad actually.
Clan shopping is an Isaaq trait, sorry Ben Dover. I'll have to call you out on that one. A tribe that successfully incorporated Dir clans in the East and Oromos in the West cannot talk about clan shopping. DNA proves this, too.

Ciise Madoobe Dir
Gadabursi Madaluug Dir
Gurgura Madahweyne Dir
Mahe Dir

You must have been in a coma or relatively oblivious if you haven't heard of the names of the subclans of Dir. Stick with the Somaliland topics or Khatumo. This isn't yours bro. Everyone knows these subclans existed for hundreds of years. 8-)

Thanato

Postby Thanato » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:06 am

Even a Google search or a Wikipedia search yields the same results.

Just because I only heard of Solomadow or Adam Madoobe yesterday, doesn't mean it never existed.

Ben Dover
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Ben Dover » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:10 am

Sxb, even Google is like WTF is Mandaluug:

Thanato

Postby Thanato » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:11 am

Click on the "Search instead for"

Try again now, Ben Dover.

Seriously, bro. Calm down. I don't know what your trying to prove.

Ben Dover
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Ben Dover » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:17 am

The fact that Google's search A.I does not recognise it and shows you the results being a city in the Philippines instead tells you all you need to know :)

Thanato

Postby Thanato » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:28 am

The fact that Google's search A.I does not recognise it and shows you the results being a city in the Philippines instead tells you all you need to know :)

Ben Dover
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Ben Dover » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:31 am

So we are citing dissertations now?

You are using a paper that lists Isaaq sxb :)

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.