Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dire Dawa - The Greatest Dir City

Dedicated for Somaliland politics and affairs.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
RuralMan08
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Dire Dawa - The Greatest Dir City

Postby RuralMan08 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:26 am

Named after the region where the Northern Dir tribes of the Issa, Gurgura, Gadabuursi merge is the great city of Dire Dawa.

Issa and Gurgura tribes of the Dir clan (who are the native inhabitants) and more recently Oromo tribes have come to make this the second biggest city in Ethiopia. The Gadabuursi inhabit the extreme eastern portion of the chartered city state bordering on Dembel district to the East. Source: Africa Confidentials Vo. 31-32

Allahu Akbar, what an amazing city!

[youtube]IEaaIXeUXog&feature=related[/youtube]

Cirwaaq
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Dire Dawa - The Greatest Dir City

Postby Cirwaaq » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:48 am

It was only a few years back when i thought Samaroon are the people who live in Laascaanood, i had been led to believe that they were the original owners of all somali settled lands.

Today i learn again.

Cisse is Dir? :shock:

I thought Dir were: Akisho, Gurgure, Samaroon(Recent discovery) as far as North is concerned are there any other Dir in the north?

Also

What are the Origins of the Yibir, Gabooye, Tumaal and other smaller groups, and are there historic relations to the Dir?

RuralMan08
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby RuralMan08 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:35 pm

Ciise, Samaroon is Dir. The relationship of Dir in regards to Yibir, Gabooye, Tumaal is non existent as far as I know. However there are some Oromo groups who have succesfully been adopted into the Dir family such as Akishe, Jarso etc.

The origins of the Yibir, Gabooye, Tumaal are the EXACT same origins as the other Somali clans. The only difference is that their clans used to hold a specific line of work (blacksmiths, carpetnry etc) and thus the most ignorant Somalis boycotted them. In real fact they are of the same origins as any Somali.

Gara Man
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Gara Man » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:41 pm

Named after the region where the Northern Dir tribes of the Issa, Gurgura, Gadabuursi merge is the great city of Dire Dawa.

Issa and Gurgura tribes of the Dir clan (who are the native inhabitants) and more recently Oromo tribes have come to make this the second biggest city in Ethiopia. The Gadabuursi inhabit the extreme eastern portion of the chartered city state bordering on Dembel district to the East. Source: Africa Confidentials Vo. 31-32

Allahu Akbar, what an amazing city!

RuralMan08
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby RuralMan08 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Oromos are also one of us :up: :lol:

Dude! I missed you, it seems you only come whenever I say something about Dire Dawa or the great Oromo nation. :up:

Gara Man
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Gara Man » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:08 pm

I missed this place and some people too. I miss having to vigorously argue with various snetters about their uncanny dislike for oromos on topics like "who does Dire Dawa belong to?"..... "who are the Gurgura?"...."What does Gal mean?" and of course "why are Oromos so useless?". This place is very unique for HOA Blogs and forums. :lol:

But to tell you the truth dire dawa is my home, its the same with your love with awdal i guess.

St8OuttaDirree
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby St8OuttaDirree » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:02 pm

I missed this place and some people too. I miss having to vigorously argue with various snetters about their uncanny dislike for oromos on topics like "who does Dire Dawa belong to?"..... "who are the Gurgura?"...."What does Gal mean?" and of course "why are Oromos so useless?". This place is very unique for HOA Blogs and forums. :lol:

But to tell you the truth dire dawa is my home, its the same with your love with awdal i guess.

Dire Dhawaa is the livest city if your a garaaba loving chilled out barcaa type of person. Either then that it's somewhat like all the other towns villages in harargee.

Rural. :lol: :lol:
at Jarso being Dir. Akichu are still somehow surviving the Oromo name, jarso have always and will always be Oromo.

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:48 pm

^^

I don't know what Akichu used to be but today they are Somali, speak Somali and identify as Somali. A friend of mine married one here in the States not too long ago. The family seemed as Somali as any other Somali family.

St8OuttaDirree
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby St8OuttaDirree » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:08 am

@Murax

That's in Somalia, it's a different story once you meet the ones living in Harargee.

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:12 am

@Murax

That's in Somalia, it's a different story once you meet the ones living in Harargee.

I'm talking about ones in Ethiopia. Ofcourse I'm not talking about every single Akishe, but a good segment have become Somali.

Blue_609
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Blue_609 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:19 am

Dire Dawa belongs to several clans since ever majority is.. Cisse, Gadabursi, Oromo ,Gurgura and various other Dir clans. i've been there like 9 years back.

Garaman are u oromo ?

2ndtoNone
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby 2ndtoNone » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:27 am

why is it that the biggest district in Dire dawa is called Haafat Ciise??

RuralMan08
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby RuralMan08 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:36 am

2ndtoNone that is because the majority in the city is ciise. A while back there was a civil war between the issa plus gadabursi against the oromo.

St8OuttaDirree
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby St8OuttaDirree » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:45 am

2ndtoNone that is because the majority in the city is ciise. A while back there was a civil war between the issa plus gadabursi against the oromo.
It wasn't a civil war, rather a little argument that became somewhat dangerous. Anyways who cares who the city belongs to, most the people speak both Afaan Oromo and Somali, and other languages and live together in peace. The only problem is the Abyssinians who migrated into this land. Enjoy these songs from your fellow Dir nation.

...Issa

...Gurgura

...Gadabursi

RuralMan08
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby RuralMan08 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:07 am

Dir and Oromo will soon remove the Woyannes :up:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.