Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muxumed Liibaan Jadeer and Raage Ugaas and Xamar

Dedicated for Somaliland politics and affairs.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
The`Republic
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Muxumed Liibaan Jadeer and Raage Ugaas and Xamar

Postby The`Republic » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Well Robecchi wrote gazallion stuff and articles on Somalia, not just that book, although that book is interesting. As for the rest of what you wrote, I'll pass on responding.

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:07 pm

Is it "Italian Somaliland" thats another book by him.

The`Republic
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby The`Republic » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:09 pm

Btw,not that this has anything to do with the topic, I think now for sure there is conclusive evidence that backs up what I have been told long time ago which is that descendents of Ahmed Abdirahman Ismacil was named "Mareexaan" because Mareexaanka dad caraf badan ayoo loo aqoon jiray.

In Somali:

Mar = walk on
Reexaan = sweet smelling flowers

Britain's Royal Geography Society

Encyclopedia of Universal Geography

Even in Arabic

In Arabic

مر (v) = to pass by/go over
ريحان = sweet basils
ريعان = flowers

The`Republic
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby The`Republic » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:10 pm

Is it "Italian Somaliland" thats another book by him.
Well the man wrote a lot, and took a lot of pics and had several books some on Somalia, some on Ethiopia but he also wrote a lot of articles too. Him and Cerulli have written a lot about Somalis during that time yet few know about them for some reason

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:14 pm

The one you have in Arabic is Riixaan , but if you spell it Reexaan its a herb that the southern Arabian stick in their hair and it has a good scent, sometimes they but it on top of both ears.

The`Republic
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby The`Republic » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks for that info. If you will check up on Robecchi, check up on Cerulli too. It is a folly to assume that Italian explorers in Somalia only stayed in Italian Somaliland boundaries, they went everywhere from Eritrea to Kas Kamboni, especially Somali territories.

For example, in all my times I have not come acrossSomali records of poems of the Sayid in which he mentions Marehan but I have come across several in Cerulli's work which were recorded by him sometimes at the Sayid's camps

They call Cerulli the "doyen of Cushitic studies", the godfather of the academic theme in Western circles

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:27 pm

o yes i have that paper and there is a mareexan guy who recite a nasty peom about trying to fak a pretty woman.

Rightwing
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Rightwing » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:36 pm

I milgliori di questi bardi s' incontrano fra i Marehan e sull' altipiano dell' Ogaden dove ho potuto maggiormente spigolare.

E celebre la memoria di Roghé Ugaz dell'Ogaden che pare non fosse soltanto un buon poeta, ma anche un valoroso soldato, perché morì combattendo, circa dieci anni or sono.

Aden Achmed Dubba degli Isaak, tribu Habr-Junis, vive ancora, sebben vecchio , presso Meth ed e conosciuto sotto l'appellativo di Gabbaj hogg, cioe il " forte poeta". Nella sua gioventu i di canti suscitarono grandi invidie fra i Raghe Ugaz, e, non poche volte, sanguinose e irreconciliabili inimicizie.

Dallab, pure delle tribu d'Isaak, rappresentano due splendide aurore, poiche,giovani ancora, hanno gia' fama di cantori provetti. Ha lasciato pur fama di buon improvvisatore Mohamed Liban Giader. eche mori or sono tre anni nella pienezza del suo vigore

From Google Translations :

The best of these bards meet between the Marehan and on the 'plateau of' Ogaden where I could glean more.

It celebrated the memory of ROGHE Ugaz Ogaden that he apparently was not only a good poet, but also a brave soldier, he died fighting, about ten years ago.

Aden Achmed Dubba of the Isaak, Habr-Junis tribes, still lives, although so old, and at Meth and known under the name of Gabbaj hogg, that the "strong poet." In his youth the songs aroused great envy among Raghe Ugaz, and, not infrequently, bloody and irreconcilable enmity.

From even the tribes of Isaak, are two beautiful auroras, since, still young, have already 'fame singers alike. He left while the reputation of good improviser Mohamed Liban Giader. who died three years ago in its full force

Somalia e Benadir:
viaggio di esplorazione nell'Africa orientale. Prima traversata della Somalia, compiuta per incarico della Societá geografica italiana. pp357, 1899.
LOL Raage Ugaas was being bullied by Gabay-Xoog :lol:

Cumar-Labasuul
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Cumar-Labasuul » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:57 pm

voltage marexaan doesn't mean what you posted - well at least not in arabic anyway - I saw this thread and thought if hyper he studied arabic and his father couldn't understand what it meant then it probably doesn't mean that in arabic.

viewtopic.php?t=309497&p=3716330

As for the somali meaning, it is probably an old somali word(s). The closest I can think of is: mariixmaan
Last edited by Cumar-Labasuul on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siciid85
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Siciid85 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:17 pm

If Gabay Xoog died in 1912 it is possible there is a picture of him in unexplored sources.

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:12 pm

There is a Gadhweyn lunatic who has a decent collection of his poem.. he would part without them.. its an Idoor diseas , they don't publish the poems nor they give it up... and thats why Gabay Xoog isn't not even known to most of h.y. and there is also an old blind Gadhweyn named Aw Jaamac nearly 90 who has few of his poems to Raage Ugaas.. but again the Xaasid wouldn't record it.

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:21 pm

I found the book online and did a complete translation of the 2 pages regarding somali poetry and poems of the 19 century.

LANGUAGE AND POETRY OF SOMALI 356-357

The Somalis used to say, at times, that you are born poets or born good farmers, and of these, their poets, dead, pass on the songs and remember the names.Of course, each region has its own, and I would have to say every tribe, and they rarely pride of poetic pre-eminence. burst contention and long civil wars.

You could say that Webi, marking the boundary between two different Somali immigration, that of the 'Indian Ocean comeback. perhaps more than half a millennium, and the other from the Gulf of Aden, which has almost 'a couple of centuries less demarcates as well, if not two kinds of poetry, some of the same two periods.

So from Benadir, between the Juba and the Webi, there are still songs and epic narratives, and beyond that, the story, the love song, the fable is a field in which to exercise their gabbaj.

The best of these bards s 'encounter between Merehan and on the' Ogaden plateau where I could glean more. It is celebrated the memory of ROGHE Ugaz Ogaden that he apparently was not only a good poet, but. a brave soldier, because he died fighting, about ten years ago.

Aden Achmed Dubba of Isaak, Habr-Junis tribes, still lives, although so old at Meth and is known under the name of Gabbaj hogg, ie " strong poet". " In his youth he sings of the great aroused envy among Raghe Ugaz, and, not infrequently, bloody wars and irreconcilable enmity.

If this man represents the setting sun, and Hassan Daher deIPOgaden Dallab, well as the tribes of Isaak, are two beautiful auroras, since, still young, they already have fame of singers alike. He left while the reputation of good improviser Mohamed Liban Giader, who died three years ago in its full force. And Tacio of others that would take too long to enumerate.

In summary, it can not deny the Somali people a poem, or his or reflected, if not those who have crossed the country with his eyes closed and ears plugged, without studying the costumes.

Certainly it would be childish to claim that a simple people and still primitive igermi possessed of a true literature, but it would be equally childish to deny the attitudes and feelings of the poem pastoral, mystical light of that wrapped our first generations through the biblical age. '

Sing simple natural feeling, expressing thus the pro PRIO ethnic character, as he sings the 'bird of the forest, knowing its natural sound. And just as the singing nightingale-are lost in the unknown, would be lost and the songs of those nomads, if the 'pen Aquilea of civilization, which is already hovering over them, they would lay them on paper. pointing them out to the attention of the student, that there is the moral elements of a race.
Last edited by X.Playa on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The`Republic
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby The`Republic » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Cumar-

I wasn't implying Arabic nickname, his name was Muslim name (Ahmed). I just noticed similarity in translation but I think the nick is fully Somali. Mar-reexaan.

Lol @ closest is Mariixmaan. My grandma always said Mareexaan maahee waa Mariixmaan (unpushable).

Xplaya-

So basically the Italian observed there is a cultural north and cultural south separated by the Shabelle river and that of the cultural north the authentic cultural homeland starts with Marehan and ends in Ogaden plateau or where we can guess to be the greater Hawd homeland.

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:47 pm

He is right there the Shabeele river seems to be the cultural border of most somali poetry.

Rightwing
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Rightwing » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Cali Cumar suldaanka Sacad yoniska Barkadka ayaan bal berito telifoon u diri in uu bal ogyahay cid wax kasii haysa oo weli nool.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.