Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adal Dynasty (Walashma?)

Dedicated for Somaliland politics and affairs.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Adal Dynasty (Walashma?)

Postby James Dahl » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:41 am

I'd like to one day :up:

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:10 pm

There was no Daarood anywhere near Zeila, in fact most of the Daarood moved from Puntland region around the end of the 1700s . The Isaaq moved into Sanaag before the Daaroods and the Isaaq moved towards Zeila before the Daaroods,
While the main Darod center was Gidaya and Hargaya (the Jigjiga region to north of Harar), there were of course Darod in Zeila, there were all clans in Zeila, it was an economic and political center, the Muqdisho if it's day. Modern Zeila is a ghost town and a ruin, the town was completely destroyed when the Portuguese burned it to the ground in the 1600s. The Turks rebuilt the modern town of Zeila, which has been slowly crumbling ever since. There used to be a ton of Arabs in Zeila who mostly left for Yemen following Somali independence, and a surprisingly large Jewish population who all moved to Israel in the 1960s.

The Adal state was a multi-clan state. Adal had Hawiye, Darod, Dir, Isaaq, Argobba, Cafar and Arabs all living together in one state.

Gidaya and Hargaysa??? as far as I know there was no Hargaysa before the 1880's only a dry river bed where few wells were dag by the Garxajis and Arab clans where they watered their flocks. There was no need for Daarood to come from modern puntland with their many ports to come and trade the same goods in Zeila. During the apex of Zeila power that is pre 1800's the Daaroods were still confined to modern Majeerteenia . Saying there were Daaroods sultans is different then saying there were few Daarood traders in Zeila , I doubt if there was any significant Daarood populations any where west of Majeerteenia during these centuries. Jigajiga was founded around 1888 when the Amxaara invaded Harar , Jigjiga was only a fort , north of that fort the Habar Awal lived there , East of it the Jidwaaq and west of it the Gedabursi/ Ciise south of jigjiga the Burzuk, Akiishe, Geri koombe and such small clans lived between Jigjiga and Harar. Of course there use to be Arabs, Adari, Greeks and Jews but like any other coast in east Africa different nationalities came there to trade and settle, that's different then claiming it was a Daarood city run by an imaginary daarood sultans.

What you James Dhel promoting is a Daarood Aryan version , where ever where and any where you promote Daaroodism even in Zeila, explaining all Somali history through the lenses of Daaroodism , you remind me of the "Hellenistic" fanatics who with no evidence always promoted a version of "Germanic tribes of blonds" coming from the North invading Greece and civilizing the swarthy dark Greeks , why these blond didn't civilized their own Northern lands no Aryanist can tell us, but always " northern invasion" theory is used to claim every civilizations on erath. You are using that same logic in Somali regions promoting "the blond and blue eyed Daaroods" .

Isaaq, Ciise , and Cafar surrounded Zeila during these century un less a Daarood sultan was parachuted there from the sky I don't see how that clan can come out of no where and dominate that important city. This theory is no different then your Sultan Nuur al-Mujaahid been a Daarood and a Mareexaan, both theories are baseless .

LiquidHYDROGEN
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LiquidHYDROGEN » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:52 pm

Lol@ darood in Hargeysa and Zeila. I swear these people would claim Rome as well if they could.

metamorphosis
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Cali iyo haaruun, miyaa gabal isaaq ciilay? Reer Cali miyaa wada cuskaday, curadadii reerka?

Postby metamorphosis » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Accusing a white man of being a daroodist. lmao this guy is something else. LiquidH2O why is this under sland section again?

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:32 pm

last time I checked Zeila and Adal was Somaliland,... where do you suggest to open the thread in...Puntland?? Ogaadeenia???

James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby James Dahl » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:59 pm

There was no Daarood anywhere near Zeila, in fact most of the Daarood moved from Puntland region around the end of the 1700s . The Isaaq moved into Sanaag before the Daaroods and the Isaaq moved towards Zeila before the Daaroods,
While the main Darod center was Gidaya and Hargaya (the Jigjiga region to north of Harar), there were of course Darod in Zeila, there were all clans in Zeila, it was an economic and political center, the Muqdisho if it's day. Modern Zeila is a ghost town and a ruin, the town was completely destroyed when the Portuguese burned it to the ground in the 1600s. The Turks rebuilt the modern town of Zeila, which has been slowly crumbling ever since. There used to be a ton of Arabs in Zeila who mostly left for Yemen following Somali independence, and a surprisingly large Jewish population who all moved to Israel in the 1960s.

The Adal state was a multi-clan state. Adal had Hawiye, Darod, Dir, Isaaq, Argobba, Cafar and Arabs all living together in one state.

Gidaya and Hargaysa??? as far as I know there was no Hargaysa before the 1880's only a dry river bed where few wells were dag by the Garxajis and Arab clans where they watered their flocks. There was no need for Daarood to come from modern puntland with their many ports to come and trade the same goods in Zeila. During the apex of Zeila power that is pre 1800's the Daaroods were still confined to modern Majeerteenia . Saying there were Daaroods sultans is different then saying there were few Daarood traders in Zeila , I doubt if there was any significant Daarood populations any where west of Majeerteenia during these centuries. Jigajiga was founded around 1888 when the Amxaara invaded Harar , Jigjiga was only a fort , north of that fort the Habar Awal lived there , East of it the Jidwaaq and west of it the Gedabursi/ Ciise south of jigjiga the Burzuk, Akiishe, Geri koombe and such small clans lived between Jigjiga and Harar. Of course there use to be Arabs, Adari, Greeks and Jews but like any other coast in east Africa different nationalities came there to trade and settle, that's different then claiming it was a Daarood city run by an imaginary daarood sultans.

What you James Dhel promoting is a Daarood Aryan version , where ever where and any where you promote Daaroodism even in Zeila, explaining all Somali history through the lenses of Daaroodism , you remind me of the "Hellenistic" fanatics who with no evidence always promoted a version of "Germanic tribes of blonds" coming from the North invading Greece and civilizing the swarthy dark Greeks , why these blond didn't civilized their own Northern lands no Aryanist can tell us, but always " northern invasion" theory is used to claim every civilizations on erath. You are using that same logic in Somali regions promoting "the blond and blue eyed Daaroods" .

Isaaq, Ciise , and Cafar surrounded Zeila during these century un less a Daarood sultan was parachuted there from the sky I don't see how that clan can come out of no where and dominate that important city. This theory is no different then your Sultan Nuur al-Mujaahid been a Daarood and a Mareexaan, both theories are baseless .
Not Hargeisa, Hargaya (it was a region of old Adal). Hargaya was north of Harar but south of Jigjiga.

I'm not sure why you find it so unbelievable that there were Ogaden in Zeila in the 1300s. Ajuuraan used to rule in Mareeg in 1300 and dominated Muqdisho, now they mostly live in Kenya.

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:03 pm

Because Ogadeen don't even reach Jigjiga nowdays never mind Zeila in the 1300's . The Ogaadeen left Puntland couple centuries ago during an Absame internal civil war. 1300 that some 800 years ago , not even Isaaq resided any where near Zeila during those years. Your problem is you put a theory forward with no evidence and most of those theories are Daarood centeric.

Khalid Ali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Khalid Ali » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:26 pm

Xplaya did Ogaden clan even exist in the 13 century due to their short abtirsi let alone be in zeila , the daarood hailes from Puntland and they started their migration from Puntland, james has not provided evidence that Zeila had Daroods or ogadens even the deepest darood the geri migrated much later to the region

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:51 pm

Xplaya did Ogaden clan even exist in the 13 century due to their short abtirsi let alone be in zeila , the daarood hailes from Puntland and they started their migration from Puntland, james has not provided evidence that Zeila had Daroods or ogadens even the deepest darood the geri migrated much later to the region

Well James is now claiming the Daarood predated Ismaaciil Jabarti and there was another Ismaaciil Jabarti that is yet to be discovered loool we are waiting for the archeologist .

StormShadow
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby StormShadow » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:57 pm

Because Ogadeen don't even reach Jigjiga nowdays never mind Zeila in the 1300's . The Ogaadeen left Puntland couple centuries ago during an Absame internal civil war. 1300 that some 800 years ago , not even Isaaq resided any where near Zeila during those years. Your problem is you put a theory forward with no evidence and most of those theories are Daarood centeric.
LOL at how did they get to Zeila it was the Rome of Somalis at that time interms of business, religion, and politics, it wasn't that hard for anyone to go there.
When Ibn Battuta visited Muqdisho in 1331 he met the ruler of the city suldaan Abu Bakr ibn Sayx 'Umar a man from Berbera. What the heck was a reer Berbera man doing in Muqdisho?

James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby James Dahl » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:11 am

Well he literally said he was a Berberi, not from Berbera, but most translators translate that as that he was "a Berber" (which in this context means he was Somali, Arabs called Somalis "Berbers"). He said the language he spoke was "Maqdishi" (probably Af-Reer Xamar, though possibly Af-Ashraaf).

Caesar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Caesar » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:58 pm

Rural man always laughed at jamesdahl, I know why know.

Caesar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Caesar » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:21 pm

It looks as though lots of posts while I was asleep :lol:

JuliusCaesar you have so far in this thread attacked everyone who has posted in it, I am the only person who is bothering to reply to you at this point, and I am not sure why I should bother, but I did say I would find an online source for my statements earlier and so I will. Perhaps you should change your attitude about debate other than ad hominem attacks and attacking everyone else to make up for your own weak arguments, you have not brought much to this discussion other than insisting I am wrong.

I see now why all the prominent Dir posters laugh and riducle you James Dahl, you have no knowledge of Somalia apart from google and lies, Im not sure why I am even trying to educate you on your ignorance but it's the gentlemanly thing to do to someone that is Jaahil (ignorant) about Somali history, So I will do my best

I found two more citations of Cerulli's genealogy last night. One is via Lewis' copy (which conflates him with Yusuf al-Kawnayn), and another citing the Harari manuscript directly.

Here is Cerulli via Lewis:

When Did Cerulli ever visit Zaylac,weren't italians based in the south? secondly you admitted in the Yusuf Al Kownayn thread Ceurilli's thoughts were not as strong.Secondly didn' ceurlli think Aw Barkhadle and Al Kownayn were the same person LOL, Either way I'm not sure how that makes the Walashma people Ogadeen, since it was never ever claimed until 1999 or 2000 on somalinet fourms, can you find me a Source indicating they were "ogadeen" apart from this Walashma business, you cannot, again James Dahl, your assumptions seem to have prevelence over thousands of years of somali oral tradition. What do Yusuf Al Kownayn and Aw Barkhadle have to do with "Ogadeen". You clearly have an Ogadeen Bias, creating history online will never change what really happened. You cannot fool a reer Zaylici

As it is citing from Lewis (the cerulli genealogy stops at Barkhadle) the genealogy continues on with Yusuf al-Kawnayn's Hasani nisba, which is due to this Yusuf ibn Barkante being confused with Yusuf aw-Barkhadle (the Walashma genealogy does not say Yusuf aw-Barkhadle, it says Yusuf ibn Barkante, it's not the same guy

Even with your citing, I do not see "ogadeen" included anywhere, you are creating history out of thin air with your "assumptions" james dahl
Cerulli and I.M Lewish thought Yusuf Al Kownayn and Aw Barkhadle were the same man, my Source shown that Yusuf Al Kownayn was the patriarch/founder of the Walashma dynasty, By Harari Historians, not white colonists who confuse the simplest things.
meanwhile your unreliable Cerulli source in which you mention in the yusuf al kownayn thread mentions it as ibn barkante, if ceruilli can mix up two prominent personalities as the same person in his writings how can I believe anything he says, furthermore Somali Oral tradition indicate Yusuf al Kownayn as a Dir man, and Harari historians as a Native man who sired the walashma dynasty. James again your assumptions seem to over rule facts. You seem to disregard any fact or source that goes against your "assumptions" like i had indicated earlier.

[/color]
The second citation does not cite Lewis or Cerulli (so no conflation of Barkhadle) and preserves the original spelling.
http://dspace-roma3.caspur.it/bitstream ... 20horn.pdf (page 2, footnotes)

Umar bin Dunyahur bin Hamud bin Mohamed bin Sheikh Yusuf, (bin) Barkatle (the Harari manuscript also tries to claim Sheikh Barkhadle as the Walashma ancestor, but in all the traditional histories Sheikh Barkhadle had no sons).
Actually like I had shown Harari historians wrote that Yusuf AL KOWNAYN was the starter of the walashma dynasty, not Aw Barkhadle, next. Show your Harari source for Aw Barkhadle please.
As an additional tidbit, Ibn Taghribirdi refers to the dynasty as being founded by Umar Walasma al-Jaberti al-Hanafi.
Source please, also in those days jabarti meant muslim (eritrea for example) and hanafi well goes without saying, a follower or student or shiekh hanafi
There is not a shred of evidence for either the Walashma or Yusuf aw-Barkhadle being Dir. I am not opposed to the idea but there just isn't any evidence. Where does it say in the evidence you have posted that either are Dir? :|

James again your assumptions over ride your ability to see the facts, as the source indicated the parallels with the Arabs in shoa with the NATIVE walashma, indicating the fact that they were not ARABS or even descended from arabs , Somali Oral tradition in AWDAL AND ZAYLAC indicate Yusuf al Kownayn was a Dir man, Zaylac was a Dir city Im sorry if this goes against your darood hypothesis or brainwashing, but this is the facts, the source I had posted ( which I beleive we got from the same site, so you've probably read it before)
mentioned a Harari historian indicating the walashma were not arab but native, who is more Native then A Dir in Somalia, that's not my point though,there is no evidence of the Walasham people ever being Ogadeen, and there is no source saying they were Ogadeen, only reer Barkhadle,Kawnani, or whomever.
James take off the brainwashing you have received online and from your website, someone writes a random abtirsi on your site for Ogadeen and you believed it. Fool like behavior. But you reject Somali Oral tradition since it goes against your assumptions, and Harari historians as well. Again I see why all the Dir posters do not acknowledged your presence on this fourm.

I imagine I will be the target of your verbal abuse in the next few posts.

You will subject to the facts ya fatalaad
and last but not least the link that destroyed james dhal arab or darood or whatever lies
Proof for those against Somalili Oral Tradition and future naysayers
from the Harari historian (remember the great library of harar contains fascinating somali history :lol: and was the second Capital of the Awdal Empire)
Shiekh Abibakr Ba Alawi ashanbali , he states the history of the land,

the walashma dynasty were "native" to the land ( Dir are the first "somalis" as you all know)
secondly they claim to be descendent of Yusuf Al Kownayn, a Wardiiq (Dir) man

We over threw the arabs in shoa and ruled it :lol:

Information from this PDF
written for the Service d'Information of Djibouti

http://dspace-roma3.caspur.it/bitstream ... 20horn.pdf
the wardiiqs ( some call us walashama i guess) still exist and live all over Somalia :clap:
Last edited by Caesar on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caesar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Caesar » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:23 pm

They confuse the tow, Yuusuf Al-Kawnayn as far as we know is a Hassani Sharif who came to Zeila along the other 40 missionaries including Sheekh Isxaaq , that Arab is later confused with the Cabdi Ciise Mullah Yuusuf Aw Barkhadle a cousin of Sultan Guuleed of the Ciidagale who just died late 1700's .
No Yusuf Al Kownayn was a Wardiiq who was from Zaylac. Again i made a thread on his life, you should read it.

as probably the only reer zaylici on the entire snet, I have his entire life story and probably insider information about his life outsiders ( you lot) don't know about

no one even outside of awdal says he is an arab so Im not sure why snetters do it. I think inferiorty complex.

Caesar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Caesar » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:28 pm

Not Hargeisa, Hargaya (it was a region of old Adal). Hargaya was north of Harar but south of Jigjiga.

I'm not sure why you find it so unbelievable that there were Ogaden in Zeila in the 1300s. Ajuuraan used to rule in Mareeg in 1300 and dominated Muqdisho, now they mostly live in Kenya.
James the fool spreading his lies again, he thinks walashma are "ogadeen" when that is not true and simply impossible as I have proven.

during the 1400s Ogaden were not even in jig jiga yet, let alone Zaylac,
why are you creating Ogadeen history online in 2014? Ogadeen used to trade cows for Timir (dates) to the isaaq, how did they somehow run an empire before that,then regress to peasantry and please no Ajuraan comparisons, Ajuraan were verified rulers, you are propagating insane theories this is madness, this is unreal.

This is the dumbest thing I heard and Why I corrected you james dahl, Thinking back now James Dahl proboly went on his site made a new account and just created a false ogaden walashma abtiris out of thin air in order to back up his silly stupid claims.

James Dahl you should get paid for your ogaden preaching. Because as A reer zaylici, none of what you say makes any sense to me.

What Ogadeen were ever in zaylac apart from your "walashma is ogadeen theory" if I showed my Zaylici cousins what James Dahl wrote, they would laugh for days wallahi.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.