Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A wiki page for the great Sharmarke Ali Saleh 1776-1861.

Dedicated for Somaliland politics and affairs.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

A wiki page for the great Sharmarke Ali Saleh 1776-1861.

Postby X.Playa » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:50 pm

If there is any Somali that deserves a wiki page then Sharmarke qualifies as the first for being the most famous Somali of the 19 century. No other Somali was even known outside the borders of Bar-al-somal ( as Somaliland was known to the Islamic world ) .

We know exactly when he died for his death involved outside focrec , he was killed by french in 1861 and his conflict with the french involved both the Turks and the British , Sharmarke died at the age of 85 on board of a french man-of-war in Jida , Saudi Arabia.

What i know so far with reference are the following:

1- Sharmaarke took over Berbera between 1841 and 1842 , at least when some British expedition visited Berbera in 1843 he was the chief of the town and lorded both over its Arab and somali permanent citizens.

2- In May 1843 Sharmarke by force took over Zeila imprisoning the Sharif of Mocha garrison and the governor Mohammed Al-Bard.

3- He also through his conquest of Zeila took over its all tributaries including Tajura .

4- In 1852 the Habar Awal incited by the Amir of Harar took over Berbera and destroyed the Berbera pillars ( pillars built by Sharmarke for the town as a mark for navigation) .

5- in 1854 Sharmarke collided with the Sharif of Mocha ( the Turkish Arab Representative) and as result Sharmarke using his dhows blockaded all trade in route to the somali coast. The Turks removed the Sharif of Mocha and Sharmarke was back as a governor of Zeila and Tajura.

6- In the last years of the 1850s the French efforts to take over both Zeila and Tajura was blocked by Sharmarke , the del la Merveille and de Champlorete expedition to Tajura was blocked by Sharmarke.

7- The french having signed treaties with certain Afar chiefs had their first foot hold on the coast and conspired with the Afar in particular Abu Bakr to remove Sharmarke .

8- in 1860 the french counsel at Aden Henry Lambert was killed somewhere close to Tajura and naturally the french blamed Sharmarke's agent on the killing. A French man of war " le cordlier" was dispatched to the area headed by admiral De Lingle . De Lingle left back into France for reinforcement.

9- in late 1861 De Lingle came back with two naval vessels and wrote an insulting letter to Ahmed Pasha the Turkish governor of Hodeida , demanding that Sharmarke be imprisoned , and his property confiscated and indemnity of $25,000 given to the family of Henry Lambert.

Khalid Ali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: A wiki page for the great Sharmarke Ali Saleh 1776-1861.

Postby Khalid Ali » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Excellent he needs his seperate page this guy was the sole ruler of zeila for almost a century good piece it needs to be added to the page

LiquidHYDROGEN
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LiquidHYDROGEN » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:13 am

There should be a statue of him in Zeila. Greatest Somali warrior in history after Axmed Gurey.

Sauron
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Sauron » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:11 am

Great read.

Samatr
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Samatr » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:12 pm

I have a paternal cousin whose mother is directly descended from this guy. Needless to say my cousin is very hairy. I have basically the same abtirsi we meet right after Salah. Would be nice to learn more about him or if they have any portraits of the guy.

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:06 pm

I have a paternal cousin whose mother is directly descended from this guy. Needless to say my cousin is very hairy. I have basically the same abtirsi we meet right after Salah. Would be nice to learn more about him or if they have any portraits of the guy.
why go that far the chief akil of some sections of the muuse care are his descendants , from his son Mahamed to his son Axmed Shire killed in 1908 in a fight with the dervish to his son chief akil Jaamac Axmed Shire Maxamed Sharmaarke Ali Saalax, who participated in the take over Taleex and led the tribal horses along Xaaji Waraabe and Xaaji Adan Cilmi Qabile. They still hold the Caaqil-ship till today.

Slope66

Postby Slope66 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:45 pm

If there is any Somali that deserves a wiki page then Sharmarke qualifies as the first for being the most famous Somali of the 19 century. No other Somali was even known outside the borders of Bar-al-somal ( as Somaliland was known to the Islamic world ) .

We know exactly when he died for his death involved outside focrec , he was killed by french in 1861 and his conflict with the french involved both the Turks and the British , Sharmarke died at the age of 85 on board of a french man-of-war in Jida , Saudi Arabia.

What i know so far with reference are the following:

1- Sharmaarke took over Berbera between 1841 and 1842 , at least when some British expedition visited Berbera in 1843 he was the chief of the town and lorded both over its Arab and somali permanent citizens.

2- In May 1843 Sharmarke by force took over Zeila imprisoning the Sharif of Mocha garrison and the governor Mohammed Al-Bard.

3- He also through his conquest of Zeila took over its all tributaries including Tajura .

4- In 1852 the Habar Awal incited by the Amir of Harar took over Berbera and destroyed the Berbera pillars ( pillars built by Sharmarke for the town as a mark for navigation) .

5- in 1854 Sharmarke collided with the Sharif of Mocha ( the Turkish Arab Representative) and as result Sharmarke using his dhows blockaded all trade in route to the somali coast. The Turks removed the Sharif of Mocha and Sharmarke was back as a governor of Zeila and Tajura.

6- In the last years of the 1850s the French efforts to take over both Zeila and Tajura was blocked by Sharmarke , the del la Merveille and de Champlorete expedition to Tajura was blocked by Sharmarke.

7- The french having signed treaties with certain Afar chiefs had their first foot hold on the coast and conspired with the Afar in particular Abu Bakr to remove Sharmarke .

8- in 1860 the french counsel at Aden Henry Lambert was killed somewhere close to Tajura and naturally the french blamed Sharmarke's agent on the killing. A French man of war " le cordlier" was dispatched to the area headed by admiral De Lingle . De Lingle left back into France for reinforcement.

9- in late 1861 De Lingle came back with two naval vessels and wrote an insulting letter to Ahmed Pasha the Turkish governor of Hodeida , demanding that Sharmarke be imprisoned , and his property confiscated and indemnity of $25,000 given to the family of Henry Lambert.
X.playa
Are you the one who has created that wiki page for him? I have oral stories about him and his sons. He's my great great grandfather!

Slope66

Postby Slope66 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:49 pm

Mr Samatr its as though you talking about me.. well except the hairy part of course lol. Absolute madness!

noer
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby noer » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:32 pm

ustad xplaya. legendary expert on somali history in poetry. cagderlander named seedyare literally admitted to doing 3 years of research for a rebuttal to xplaya :damn: all around my favorite here

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.