Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

In regard to the Axmed Gurey , the nickname Gurey

Dedicated for Somaliland politics and affairs.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

In regard to the Axmed Gurey , the nickname Gurey

Postby X.Playa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:58 pm

In the Futuux there is no note of that , that the Imaam was left handed . The Abyssinian supposedly use the term ¨Gran¨ but the question is who and which Axmed they are referring to as the left-handed.? What i think is happeneing is a conflation between the two Axmed , the Somali Axmed with his obvious nickname the left-handed and the Imaam Axmed, Also what i think happened the Abyssinians just copied the somali version of Axmed Gurey and their record all postdate the Futuux.

One important question is when did the Abyssinian began referring to the Imaam wrongly as Axmed Gurey?. My theory is that the Axmed Gurey magaadle Garaad expolites and the Imaamś exploite were conflated and made into one hence the Gurey nickname for the Imaam , most likely the Imaam was not left handed .

In the Arabic version the word "Gurey" can also be read as ¨Geri¨ giraffe , i think also both could have been right handed and the term is the later and not Gurey.

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: In regard to the Axmed Gurey , the nickname Gurey

Postby X.Playa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:05 pm

Please no Boon crew with their Mareexaan Axmed Gurey and Nur theory. or Ben Dover will be unleashed.

Ben Dover
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Ben Dover » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:00 pm

In the Futuux there is no note of that , that the Imaam was left handed . The Abyssinian supposedly use the term ¨Gran¨ but the question is who and which Axmed they are referring to as the left-handed.? What i think is happeneing is a conflation between the two Axmed , the Somali Axmed with his obvious nickname the left-handed and the Imaam Axmed, Also what i think happened the Abyssinians just copied the somali version of Axmed Gurey and their record all postdate the Futuux.

One important question is when did the Abyssinian began referring to the Imaam wrongly as Axmed Gurey?. My theory is that the Axmed Gurey magaadle Garaad expolites and the Imaamś exploite were conflated and made into one hence the Gurey nickname for the Imaam , most likely the Imaam was not left handed .

In the Arabic version the word "Gurey" can also be read as ¨Geri¨ giraffe , i think also both could have been right handed and the term is the later and not Gurey.
Spot on.

The text conflates two figures, one is the Imam Ahmed, who was not Somali according to the Arabic text of Futuh Al Habash. The other was the Somali Isaaq Habar Magaadle leader named Gurey (Ahmed Gurey bin Hussein Al Somali), who is the only character in the original Futuh text described as Gurey.

Academic scholarship addresses this specific point and comes to the same conclusion that there was a conflation of two distinct historical characters, Ahmed Al Ghazi (the Imam) and Ahmed Gurey (the Somali leader of the Habar Magaadle Isaaq):

"The text refers to two Ahmad's with the nickname 'Left-handed'. One is regularly presented as 'Ahmad Guray, the Somali' (...) identified as Ahmad Guray Xuseyn, chief of the Habar Magadle. Another reference, however, appears to link the Habar Magadle with the Marrehan. The other Ahmad is simply referred to as 'Imam Ahmad' or simply the 'Imam'.This Ahmad is not qualified by the adjective Somali (...) The two Ahmad's have been conflated into one figure, the heroic Ahmed Guray"

LeJusticier
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: base of sufism. Imam Le Justicier ...Xerta Dareenka

Postby LeJusticier » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Gartay!

DayrBare
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby DayrBare » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:49 pm

I once met a Jibril Abokor guy in Addis Ababa at the Shaikh Abdi Ayoub tomb, he was one of the tomb keepers (him and another JB fella and few Oromo men were the tomb keepers), as we were talking, the story of Ahmed Guray came up, I remember the Oromo tomb keepers were claiming Imam Ahmed being an Oromo leader. However, This Imam Ahmed’s ethnicity is not clear cut, the majority of ethnic horner claim him as their own except Habasha people and few others.

As for the Habarmagadle Guray, the Jibril Abokor guy was quite adamant that Guray was Arab (Isaac). He said he knew some Arab families in Harar who were distant descendants of Ahmed Guray. He even told me half of Habrmagadle soldiers were Ayoub since the Ayoub were the most religious of the Isaac in those days. May be that is why Ayuub today has less numbers than other Isaac sub clans. I don't know, but who knows... I didn’t take him to be serious at the time but then few years ago I met another Arab dude who told me the same thing.

So you are right there were two Ahmeds and the people conflate the two and assume them being the same character.

BestPlaya
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby BestPlaya » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:14 pm

Neither Garaad Axmad Gurey Xusen nor Garaad Dhaaweed (mentioned as his clansmen in the italian Translation ) can be confimed as iidoors .All iidoor lowlifes can afford is to troll around and delete conflicting narratives .

I personally believe , after analyzing all the liittle info i have read about the topic so far , Garaad Axmad Gurey Xuseen and Garaad Dhaaweeyd were indeed Laag madoobe section of the Bartire .The brave early 19th century ruler (Garaad Wiilwaal) is the descedant of Garaad dhaaweed .The latter was Garaad of Jidwaaq and also a warrior in Adel Jihaad .

Garaad Axmad bin Ibraahim , the imaam was Karanle or a non-Somali .

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:21 pm

Neither Garaad Axmad Gurey Xusen nor Garaad Dhaaweed (mentioned as his clansmen in the italian Translation ) can be confimed as iidoors .All iidoor lowlifes can afford is to troll around and delete conflicting narratives .

I personally believe , after analyzing all the liittle info i have read about the topic so far , Garaad Axmad Gurey Xuseen and Garaad Dhaaweeyd were indeed Laag madoobe section of the Bartire .The brave early 19th century ruler (Garaad Wiilwaal) is the descedant of Garaad dhaaweed .The latter was Garaad of Jidwaaq and also a warrior in Adel Jihaad .

Garaad Axmad bin Ibraahim , the imaam was Karanle or a non-Somali .
You are a Daarood you can fetch some shit from your ass and put it on your nose and still believe its a musk from haven. so step a side , here we are discussing the record and manuscript not what some Cagdheer old lady told you.

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:25 pm

Spot on.

The text conflates two figures, one is the Imam Ahmed, who was not Somali according to the Arabic text of Futuh Al Habash. The other was the Somali Isaaq Habar Magaadle leader named Gurey (Ahmed Gurey bin Hussein Al Somali), who is the only character in the original Futuh text described as Gurey.

Academic scholarship addresses this specific point and comes to the same conclusion that there was a conflation of two distinct historical characters, Ahmed Al Ghazi (the Imam) and Ahmed Gurey (the Somali leader of the Habar Magaadle Isaaq):

"The text refers to two Ahmad's with the nickname 'Left-handed'. One is regularly presented as 'Ahmad Guray, the Somali' (...) identified as Ahmad Guray Xuseyn, chief of the Habar Magadle. Another reference, however, appears to link the Habar Magadle with the Marrehan. The other Ahmad is simply referred to as 'Imam Ahmad' or simply the 'Imam'.This Ahmad is not qualified by the adjective Somali (...) The two Ahmad's have been conflated into one figure, the heroic Ahmed Guray"
So far that is known, what is not known and never questioned is the origin of the Gurey from the Abyssinian side , did they just adopted that mistake from the somalis , or they from first hand sources know Axmed the left handed ??

Another isse th version of Axmed Al-Jeezaani of the Futuux is incomplete and ends long before the death of the Imaam , could the Abyssinian have the full versions of events leading to the death of the Imaam and maybe even the end of the real Amxed Gurey ??

Mustafee101
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Mustafee101 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:33 pm

Ahmed Gurey was Marehan reer Garaad

Mustafee101
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Mustafee101 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Iidoor were not part of the jihaad. The book doesn’t say Habar Magaale. It says Habar Muqdi which is a sub clan of Jidwaaq :?:

somalilander4211

Postby somalilander4211 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:36 pm

I once met a Jibril Abokor guy in Addis Ababa at the Shaikh Abdi Ayoub tomb, he was one of the tomb keepers (him and another JB fella and few Oromo men were the tomb keepers), as we were talking, the story of Ahmed Guray came up, I remember the Oromo tomb keepers were claiming Imam Ahmed being an Oromo leader. However, This Imam Ahmed’s ethnicity is not clear cut, the majority of ethnic horner claim him as their own except Habasha people and few others.

As for the Habarmagadle Guray, the Jibril Abokor guy was quite adamant that Guray was Arab (Isaac). He said he knew some Arab families in Harar who were distant descendants of Ahmed Guray. He even told me half of Habrmagadle soldiers were Ayoub since the Ayoub were the most religious of the Isaac in those days. May be that is why Ayuub today has less numbers than other Isaac sub clans. I don't know, but who knows... I didn’t take him to be serious at the time but then few years ago I met another Arab dude who told me the same thing.

So you are right there were two Ahmeds and the people conflate the two and assume them being the same character.
Was he talking about the imam ahmed ibrahim al ghazi or ahmed gurey? And why is ahmed gurey name so famous in oral tradition if he was just the chief of the habar magaadle , my theory on why hes so popular in oral tradition is due to the fact that he was nur ibn hussein brother, nur ibn hussein was popular among somalis as he is a somali himself

noer
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby noer » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:18 am

legendary x.playa. the nigga forced seedyare the cagderlander to do 3 years of research for a rebuttal :Heh: if u need more than 3 days for a rebuttal u need to give up. me tink bestplaya was seedyare's old nick

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.