Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aids patients suffer stigma rages in Somaliland

Daily chitchat on Somali politics.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
nomadicwarlord
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Aids patients suffer stigma rages in Somaliland

Postby nomadicwarlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:27 pm

HARGEISA, Tuesday

When a young HIV-positive woman recently passed away in Hargeisa, capital of the self-declared republic of Somaliland, none of the women in her family volunteered to carry out the traditional Islamic rite of washing the body before burial. “Her clothes are still hanging where she died because people think they can be affected if they touch them,” said Abdillahi Omar, a man in his 40s. Eventually, a group of HIV-positive women volunteered to wash the woman’s body.

Most people in Somalia still avoid touching or associating with people living with the virus. “Each one of us who has announced that he or she has HIV/Aids was thrown out of his or her family. I was a soldier ... as soon as they got the information [about my HIV status], I was told not to enter the camp - they considered me as being the epidemic itself,” Mr Omar said.

“Our children are sent back home by the school administrators for no reason other than the fact that their parents have HIV ... we experience it daily,” said Amina Ali, a mother of four. Experts attribute the intense stigmatisation of people living with the virus to ignorance and the strong association of HIV with immorality and ‘non-Muslim’ behaviour; United Nations estimates say less than 10 per cent of the population have accurate knowledge about HIV transmission.

“I know that HIV can be transmitted by using the same toothbrush as someone who is infected, or if the same [injection] needle used on an HIV-positive person is used on you,” said Sa’id Ahmed, a student at the University of Hargeisa. “If someone in my family had Aids ... of course I would feel the fear of the disease.” Sexual intercourse is the main method of transmission in Somalia, but Ahmed did not mention sex as a way of transmitting HIV and there is no HIV education in schools.

“We have carried out a lot of awareness to reduce the stigma, as well as giving people information about how the disease transmitted,” said Hassan Omar Hagga, director of training at the Somaliland Aids Commission (SOLNAC) secretariat. Somalia’s most recent progress report to the United Nations General Assembly Special Session on HIV/Aids noted that widespread stigma and discrimination were among the factors raising HIV vulnerability.

High stigma and low risk perception mean few people are tested for HIV, and the country’s antiretroviral (ARV) programme is still in its infancy. Of an estimated 13,000 people living with HIV in Somaliland, only 800 have access to ARVs,” said Mohamed Hussein Osman, executive director of SOLNAC.

SOLNAC has also been trying to push through parliament proposed legislation giving rights to people living with HIV, and making it illegal for doctors to reveal a patient’s HIV status without their permission. “[The draft] law criminalises discrimination against the people who live with the disease, specifies their requirements for care, and stipulates punishments for those who try to deliberately transmit the virus,” said Hassan Omar Hagga.
http://www.nation.co.ke/News/africa/-/1 ... index.html

nomadicwarlord
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Aids patients suffer stigma rages in Somaliland

Postby nomadicwarlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:28 pm

We shall overcome in Northwest Somalia. :up:

Cumar-Labasuul
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Cumar-Labasuul » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:29 pm

Allahunaxariisto, if this is true then walle dadkeenu waa jaahiliin, ilaahey ha soo hadeeyo

nomadicwarlord
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby nomadicwarlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:33 pm

"Sexual intercourse is the main method of transmission in Somalia, but Ahmed did not mention sex as a way of transmitting HIV and there is no HIV education in schools"

This is a problem.

Cumar-Labasuul
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Cumar-Labasuul » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:35 pm

^Don't they know that HIV can be transmitetd by dirty needles and I have seen with my eyes unqualified doctors giving people injections

The Nomad
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Las Qoray, Erigabo, Hadaftimo, Dhahar, Xingalol, Gelewiyt, Celaayo, Djibouti, Harena.

Postby The Nomad » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:35 pm

Let's be honest here, the figure can probably be attributed to the influx of Ethiopians seeking employment. Of the 13,000 I'd wager 80% are Ethiopian refugees.

nomadicwarlord
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby nomadicwarlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:39 pm

^Don't they know that HIV can be transmitetd by dirty needles and I have seen with my eyes unqualified doctors giving people injections
Students for the most part are the ones with the most knowledge about the virus. Like you said, they need to change certain practices at the hospital in order to curtail the spread of the virus.
Let's be honest here, the figure can probably be attributed to the influx of Ethiopians seeking employment. Of the 13,000 I'd wager 80% are Ethiopian refugees.
I hope that's the case.

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:02 pm

AIDS/HIV is so complex and so 21st century issue that the topic never becomes boring. This disease is shockingly inhumane yet i cant but agree it is a blessing for reducing over population and fighting poverty in africa and third world countries. :|

Somalian_Boqor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Somalian_Boqor » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:48 pm

It's fucked up what Ildoors are doing to other Ildoors. :|

Pirate Nayaa
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: [img]http://images.zaazu.com/img/zip-zip-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000408-large.gif[/img]

Postby Pirate Nayaa » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:56 pm

i was planning to go back to africa via somaliland, but am scared of this aids/hiv. who knows, one can get it by eating
with a spoon or drinking tea from a cup that's not properly washed.

anyways, no hate to s/landers. :sland:

grandpakhalif
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby grandpakhalif » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:45 pm

i was planning to go back to africa via somaliland, but am scared of this aids/hiv. who knows, one can get it by eating

they got it because allah punished them for being kind to ethiopian gypsies

Somalian_Boqor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Somalian_Boqor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:43 pm

they got it because allah punished them for being kind to ethiopian gypsies
:lol: :lol: :lol:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.