Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Population of towns/cities in Somalia

Daily chitchat on Somali politics.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
hargaysaay
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Best part about getting high having sex with you is geting high having sex with you part.

Re: Population of towns/cities in Somalia

Postby hargaysaay » Sat May 04, 2013 7:26 pm

here is hargeysaays unbiased estimation of the biggest most populated cities in somalia

Mogadisho-2.5 million
Hargaysa-1.2 million
bosaso-650k
burco/Baydhabo-450k

Turbulence
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Turbulence » Sat May 04, 2013 7:41 pm

The only reasonable person in this topic is samatar but I am convinced even his numbers are off. The city I reside in has a population of about 60 thousand people and it looks way bigger than all these shitty little towns in Somalia everyone is claiming to host hundreds of thousands of people. I would honestly be surprised if there was a city in Somalia with a population reaching a million.

GeoSeven
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Out of my mind somewhere...always somewhere, never an exact location.

Postby GeoSeven » Sun May 05, 2013 2:42 am

The only reasonable person in this topic is samatar but I am convinced even his numbers are off. The city I reside in has a population of about 60 thousand people and it looks way bigger than all these shitty little towns in Somalia everyone is claiming to host hundreds of thousands of people. I would honestly be surprised if there was a city in Somalia with a population reaching a million.
The city you live in might look more populated because of the vehicle to person ratio, infrastructure and urban planning. Not many cars outside of the larger cities in Somalia and everything is usually congested.

samatar133
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby samatar133 » Sun May 05, 2013 3:47 am

here is hargeysaays unbiased estimation of the biggest most populated cities in somalia

Mogadisho-2.5 million
Hargaysa-1.2 million
bosaso-650k
burco/Baydhabo-450k
:lol: we can not be that many sxb. There is a one big inconsistency in your numbers I can prove beyond doubt. Since we never had a real census, we always speculate about city populations and we habitually overestimate hadaanu soomali nahay. But there is one thing we should know with higher confidence and that is the proportional comparisons between Somali cities. Google-earth made it very easy to compare cities, towns, measure and see how much one is bigger then the other, how congested or how spacious it is relative to others etc. What ever numbers you throw, you must have Xamar being twice or slightly more than twice bigger than Hargeisa, so your comparison of Muqdisho with Hargiesa above can be accepted in the proportional sense. However, the comparison between Bosaso and Hargiesa or between Bosaso and Muqdisho is beyond ridiculous to say the least. According Google earth evidence Bosaso can not be half the size of Hargiesa, it is more like four to five times smaller and by implication less populated than Hargeisa. If you give Hargiesa 1.2 million people then a reasonable estimate for Bosaso would be 270k not 650k.

My opinion based on some research and observation, numberka hoose ayaa runta iila dhaw
Moqdisho 1.6 million
Hargeisa 800k
Bosaso 180k
Burco 165k
Borama 150k
Galkacayo 140k

Kafkaesque
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Kafkaesque » Sun May 05, 2013 4:34 am

The assertion that Hargeisa has over a million beggars reality. But soon enough (2 months from now), the UN will release its report and we shall see which "cities" have the largest population.

I think we should also clear out the definition of a city, there is no such thing as a city in Somalia other than Mogadishu, they equal mere towns, that includes Hargeisa. The world media and academia refer to our "cities" as towns and I think Somalis should start doing so too.

Lastly that either Burco, Borama or Berbera would be more populated than Gaalkacyo is absolutely ludicrous, even more so than looking on Google Maps for a census.

Titanium
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Titanium » Sun May 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Baydhabo I think is the third largest city after Muqdisho and Hargeisa.

X.Playa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby X.Playa » Sun May 05, 2013 8:11 pm

Are you crazy? I was in Gaalkacayo just a few months ago 140k is a good and decent estimation. Hargeysa was estimated 700k and Xamar 900k a few years ago no way Gaalkacayo is nearly 1/2 of Hargeysa and 1/3 of Xamar.
Your estimation is way off. Xamar is much more populated then Hargeisa let alone the tiny dusty village Galkacayo. Also, the thinking that Hargeisa is only twice bigger than Galkacayo is absurd too. The number closer to reality is like this Muqdisho 1.6 million, Hargeisa 800k, Galkacayo 150k.
This Mqadisho popultion makes no sense even during the haydays of somalia when all somalis lived there Moqdisho was less then a million , now you are telling us moqdisho is even double that loool waar waxaas yaan lagaa dhaadhicin there is no difference beyween Hargaysa and Muqdisho today they are both around 1 million.

hargaysaay
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Best part about getting high having sex with you is geting high having sex with you part.

Postby hargaysaay » Sun May 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Are you crazy? I was in Gaalkacayo just a few months ago 140k is a good and decent estimation. Hargeysa was estimated 700k and Xamar 900k a few years ago no way Gaalkacayo is nearly 1/2 of Hargeysa and 1/3 of Xamar.
Your estimation is way off. Xamar is much more populated then Hargeisa let alone the tiny dusty village Galkacayo. Also, the thinking that Hargeisa is only twice bigger than Galkacayo is absurd too. The number closer to reality is like this Muqdisho 1.6 million, Hargeisa 800k, Galkacayo 150k.
This Mqadisho popultion makes no sense even during the haydays of somalia when all somalis lived there Moqdisho was less then a million , now you are telling us moqdisho is even double that loool waar waxaas yaan lagaa dhaadhicin there is no difference beyween Hargaysa and Muqdisho today they are both around 1 million.
well remember as time passes by population increases the same people who lived in burco 25 years ago live it today but burco is far more populated today then 25 years ago

GeoSeven
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Out of my mind somewhere...always somewhere, never an exact location.

Postby GeoSeven » Mon May 06, 2013 1:52 am

Baydhabo I think is the third largest city after Muqdisho and Hargeisa.
No doubt.

Hargaysaay, my Burco relatives were complaining about Burco's population decline before people were moving to Hargeysa.

samatar133
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby samatar133 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:18 pm

ninyow horta cid dadka tirisay ma jirto laakiin waxa jira siyaabo kala duwan oo wax loo cabiri karo. Tusaale ahaan hadii aanu tirokoob ku samayno Hargeisa dabadeedna aynu ogaano tirada dadka ku nool magaalada, waxa aynu halkaa ka qiyaas qaadan karnaa in magaalo kasta oo soomaaliyeed oo baaxad ahaan le'eg kalabadhka Hargeisa, la odhan karo tirada dadka ku noolna waxa ay le'egtahay kalabadh kuwa Hargeysa ku nool. Sidoo kale, magaalo Hargeysa laba laabkeeda leeg iyana waxa la odhan karaa waxa ku nool laba laabka tirada dadka Hargiesa ku nool. Anigu markaan anoo Google Earth kaashanaya sameeyay daraasad magaalooyinkaa ku saabsan, waxa ii cadaatay in Muqdisho dhisme ahaan ay leegtahay laba laabka Hargeysa, sidaa darteedna la odhan karo waxa ku nool laba laab tirada dadka ku nool Hargiesa. Dabcan daraasadaasi khalad way noqon kartaa, sababtoo ah waxa suurtogal ah in Muqdisho, dagaaladii mudada dheer ka socday awgeed, aanay magaaladu u buuxin ama u camirnayn sida Hargeysi u camiran tahay sidaa darteedna baaxada maagaladu aanay si buuxda uga turjumi karin tirada dadka ku nool. Hadii aynu samayno assumption ka ah in magaalooyinku isku si u camiranyihiin, qaab dhismeedkooduna usu dhawyahay, inta qof ee qoysasku ka koobanyihiin ee guri kasta ku noolina celcelis ahaan isu dhigmaan, dabadeed waa fikir fiican in baaxada magaalada laga qiyaas qaato marka population keeda la barbardhigayo population ka magaalo kale oo la mid ah.

Advo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Advo » Mon May 06, 2013 2:39 pm

Muqdisho = 1.4 Mill
Hargiasa = 800k
Kismaayo = 200k
Bosaaso = 200k
Baydhabo = 400k

the whole Somalia population= 7 Mill

FarIyoAlif
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: Farhareeri - Heegaale - Sararaweyne - Buuhoodle | Samatar Baxnaan's successor

Postby FarIyoAlif » Mon May 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Somalia:

2005 - 7 Million
2013 - ???

Shirib
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Shirib » Mon May 06, 2013 3:17 pm

All you guys are laangaab, just accept it :lol:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.