Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somalis mostly befriend somalis from similar clan background

Daily chitchat on Somali politics.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
SiennaEarth
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Somalis mostly befriend somalis from similar clan background

Postby SiennaEarth » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:52 pm

Most of my family friends are hawiye or isaaq. My Somali friends however are mixed, some of em are from tribes I never heard of in my life.
Last edited by SiennaEarth on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancer
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Lancer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:52 pm

Of course Somalis would want to befriend others from similar clan backgrounds.
Who else would they talk to about Qabiil related stuff without sounding awkward? Every Somali has
friends from other clans they engage with about trivial stuff like the community,work , school, kids etc. but the ones
they are closest to and can freely speak to about everything without sounding Politically Correct are probably
friends from their own clan. This largely applies to the older folks and others who are familiar with Qabiils
not the westernized ones who don't even know their own Qabiil or care about it.

We all have friends from different clans but at the end of the day when you close your doors behind and start talking Clan Politics
I guarantee your circle isn't so diverse anymore. :stylin:

Qabyalaad is a subconcious among us and people can deny it all they want but it's the truth. :-@ :dj:

Estarix
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Estarix » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:01 pm

Soph......A Dir friend once explained to me that Dir are the largest tribal grouping.
I was like.....are they playing hide and seek? :)
OD, we have created separate entities that number into the millions. We are a victim our own landhernimo :mrgreen:

If you get a chance travel from Jijiga to Dire Dawa and make small talk with those 'Oromos'. Similarly, do the same with certain branches of the Digil and Mirifle.

OD, for Somalinet purposes, I will exclude your distant Reer Apti that Cali Dhuux spoke about in his poems. :lol:

MoAwr, next time you are at a wedding where heavyweights attend, ask them if you are Dir. :mrgreen:
Could those Oromos really be called Somalis though? Most Horn African tribes have lost huge numbers to the expanding Oromo, today those people self identify as Oromo.

Machiavelli2
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Machiavelli2 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:03 pm

Is this thread intended for qabiilists to dissolve their regret of being qabiilist and scream, no I'm not a qabiilist, I have friends from qabiil Tixsi Naaso Ka Taabto like when a racist claims, I ain't a racist, I always catch cabs driven by Somalis? Most Somalis who are tribal to the core used to be Somalis from korraadka and when they meet for the first time someone from their own sub-clan waxaad u malleeysaa as if they won a billion dollars jackpot. But it has now spread to all the Somalis like a wild fire, though reer hoosaadka are not as open about and hostile like reer korraadka, the virus has spread to everyone. In general, if Somalis live in an area with many Somalis, they rarely have friends from other clans and the only time, they meet other people from other clans are in fadhi ku dirrir like the maqaaxi. Also, what I noticed is if they have balwad like Khaat or qamri, they might befriend one another till they have a huge falling out fight because of qabyaalad.

Marka Runta ha laysku sheego, haddii aad tahay bullaacad qabiilist ah, who other than your own clan members wants to befriend with you? Will you befriend a racist who despises Somalis? Ha inoo keenina sheekada racists, ooh my neighbour is brown.
Last edited by Machiavelli2 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoobleAlWaliid
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby RoobleAlWaliid » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:04 pm

Dhilobante only have in mind to stop the wadajir of Somaliland, if only they invested that much money and time in basic infrastructure and clean water for their civilians living in ram-shack/huts.

zumaale
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby zumaale » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:08 pm

Could those Oromos really be called Somalis though? Most Horn African tribes have lost huge numbers to the expanding Oromo, today those people self identify as Oromo.
Estarix, not really, when they are in the North or among Somali speakers, they identify with their clan. The Barsuug, Gurgura, Jarso etc to this day have retained their Somali clan structure and the Oromos also attatch a different label to them. Haraghe Oromos are distinct in that respect, there is a differentiation between those who merely speak Oromo and those that are Oromo by bloodline.

During the Dire Dawa conflict, for instance, the Gurguras formed an alliance (IGLF) with the Issa to remove the OLF from the city.

26June1960
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby 26June1960 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:15 pm

This thread is up there with the thread about which clans fast during Ramadan :lol:
Drop the link! :lol:

As for this thread: I could careless what clan my acquaintance is from, as long as they're honest, trustworthy and funny.
viewtopic.php?t=348764

Also a ranking of clans by how horny they are :lol: viewtopic.php?t=346903
Bloody idiots. However, I did find the horny thread quite funny. :lol:
Last edited by 26June1960 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Estarix
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Estarix » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:15 pm

Estarix, not really, when they are in the North or among Somali speakers, they identify with their clan. The Barsuug, Gurgura, Jarso etc to this day have retained their Somali clan structure and the Oromos also attatch a different label to them. Haraghe Oromos are distinct in that respect, there is a differentiation between those who merely speak Oromo and those that are Oromo by bloodline.
Does this apply to all hararghe including the western ones whom by the way seem to dress extremely similarly to Somalis. Also are the akisho somalicized oromos? in regards to the gurgura who the hell becomes Oromo because of tensions with another clan (cise), you know the full story behind why they joined the Oromo gang.

Buraanbur
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Buraanbur » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:20 pm

Never realized why you spread misinformation about them, then I realized they are a minority in your ends. However, the vast majority of them live in Somaliland, Djibouti and Ethiopia, which you have limited knowledge of. :win: Face it Horseed, you live in a tribal container, see the world, familiarize yourself with Somalis outside of your family.
We had a bit of them in Bari. It was a tradition within my subclan for the men to marry Dir women, but most of them have left Puntland for Somaliland, with a new qabil and name change to boot ( from Dir Rooble to Damal Muse -- HY). :stylin:

26June1960
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby 26June1960 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:24 pm

Is Gadabursi related to Biyamaal?

zumaale
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby zumaale » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:29 pm

Does this apply to all hararghe including the western ones whom by the way seem to dress extremely similarly to Somalis. Also are the akisho somalicized oromos? in regards to the gurgura who the hell becomes Oromo because of tensions with another clan (cise), you know the full story behind why they joined the Oromo gang.
I cannot comment on all Hararghe Oromos. I am just aware that the ones in the vicinity of Harar all the way to Dire Dawa are a heterogeneous group. The Akisho were absorbed by the Oromos during the expansion. Some retained their Somali identiy like the Gurre in Afdheer zone, albeit, with some Oromo linguistic influences. The ones bordering the Somalis reverted back to their original identity after the Oromos were again pushed from Jijiga by a multitude of Somali clans. However, like the Jarso, many are Oromo speakers particularly in the disputed woredas that became part of the Oromo State.

The Gurgura are linguistically divided by occupation. Farmers speak Oromo, pastoralists speak Somali. There was no conscious decision to become 'Oromo'. They have their Xeer dhaqan still and owe allegiance to one Ugaas based in Dire Dawa. However, the farmers outnumber the Somali speaking pastoralists for obvious reasons. They form one of the constituent clans of the Noole confederacy based in Harar.
Last edited by zumaale on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zumaale
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby zumaale » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:39 pm

We had a bit of them in Bari. It was a tradition within my subclan for the men to marry Dir women, but most of them have left Puntland for Somaliland, with a new qabil and name change to boot ( from Dir Rooble to Damal Muse -- HY). :stylin:
That clan you mentioned are Damal Muuse Carre, they reverted back to their traditional territories. They were called Dir Rooble by the MJ because when their ancestor arrived from Sanaag, rains followed. Hence, the name translating as Dir Roobka Keene. He left coastal Sanaag after a blood feud whereby he killed his uncle.

I know them very well because they used to pay blood money with my clan and one sub sub Surre clan still lives in Bari around Qandala, Iskushuban etc. These areas are not easily reached by car and are sparsely populated due to their size.

zumaale
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby zumaale » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:41 pm

Is Gadabursi related to Biyamaal?
Like the way Mareexan is related to Gerikoombe. Not for tens of generations.

Buraanbur
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Buraanbur » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:46 pm

That clan you mentioned are Damal Muuse Carre, they reverted back to their traditional territories. They were called Dir Rooble by the MJ because when their ancestor arrived from Sanaag, rains followed. Hence, the name translating as Dir Roobka Keene. He left coastal Sanaag after a blood feud whereby he killed his uncle.

I know them very well because they used to pay blood money with my clan and one sub sub Surre clan still lives in Bari around Qandala, Iskushuban etc. These areas are not easily reached by car and are sparsely populated due to their size.
How old is the Damal Muuse subclan?

theyuusuf143
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: "Dareen naxli reeba iyo nolosha aan loo sinayn naftaaday dhaawacaan" by dhaglas

Postby theyuusuf143 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:47 pm

90% of my real friends are not isaaq. In fact I never had any habarjeclo friends at all since I was 10. how ever fast majority of my Facebook friends are women and I actually don't even know most of them in real life.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.