Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Great Lesson for Future Tahriibayaal..

Daily chitchat on Somali politics.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
barbarossa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

A Great Lesson for Future Tahriibayaal..

Postby barbarossa » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:09 pm

Somali Migrant Returns Home After Losing Hope in Europe

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Burhan Jama Mohamed, 25, was in his final year of education studies at college when he migrated from Garowe to Europe a year ago.

He said goodbye to his wife, pregnant with their first child, and travelled through Ethiopia and Sudan to Libya and then across the Mediterranean Sea to Italy. He paid $8,500 on the journey that he hoped would lead him to a better life.

But Burhan was hugely disappointed in Europe. After nine months in Switzerland, he made the decision to return home to Somalia. Radio Ergo’s reporter in Garowe, Abdirahman Mohamed Haji, met Burhan and asked him what made him change his mind. The following is a transcript of the interview.

Burhan: I have learnt many lessons while I was in Europe. I didn’t get a better life, nor food, housing and money. I was living in a camp and there was no hope that my asylum application would be accepted. I realized that people wait too long before they are granted asylum and only a few people are accepted and given the legal documents to live in the country. There are many people [i.e. migrants] who are living in despair and have lost hope in this life after their applications were rejected. For example, there was a day we rescued a young Somali man, who was with us in the camp, trying to commit suicide by throwing himself in front of a train. He was regretting about the money he had spent getting to Europe and worried about the treatment he received there. He was also worried about the life of his family back home. He was not alone in that situation - there are many young people who are stressed and confused. I refused to live such a stressful life and that is why I decided to come back, while I am still physically and mentally healthy.
Abdirahman: Why did you migrate in the first place?

Burhan: I thought that life in Europe would be sweeter than in Africa. I expected to get a permanent residence and employment, and a recognised and respected passport so that I can travel around the world. I believed that there was enough wealth in Europe. These dreams were the reason behind my migration to Europe. But when I reached there I discovered that life is not all roses. I didn’t expect that life in Europe would be like that and I lost hope. Feelings of anxiety and distress engulfed me.

Abdirahman: How did you manage to come back to Somalia, since you didn’t have the right documents to travel?

Burhan: The idea came to my mind a few months before I returned home. I contacted the immigration authorities in Switzerland and requested them to return me to Somalia. They asked me a lot of questions, and who was to pay for my ticket. I realized they were wasting my time and I decided to contact IOM and asked them for help. After a collaboration with the Somali Embassy in Geneva, IOM gave me a document that enabled me to travel back home. The organisation also paid my air ticket and gave me $2,500 as money for expenses.

Abdirahman: So now you have returned to Somalia what are your plans?

Burhan: I have been home in the country for less than two months. I went back to resume studies at Garowe Teachers Education College. I started the classes again from where I left off. I re-united with my wife and my young daughter, who was born a month after I left the country. I am working hard to get any type of a job. Previously I used to be too proud to do certain jobs, but now I have learned in Europe that a job is just a job.

Siciid85
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: A Great Lesson for Future Tahriibayaal..

Postby Siciid85 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:28 am

I didn't get any life, food, money, and hosing he says. He expected he would roll around in stack of cash once he got to Europe after spending everything he had, he has returned Empty handed. I say this guy is a fool and loser who gave up easily.

Although Europe isn't what he envisioned, there is ample opportunities there not found in Somalia. He could have at least gotten a job and waited til he had made back the $8k he spent on his Tahriib

Righteous
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Righteous » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:02 pm

People who do Tahriib can afford to open businesses, instead they spent loads of money just to end up scrubbing toilets or worse, dead, raped or missing vital organs. The money these idiots have to waste cannot even be found in the bank accounts of most diaspora Somalis who live check to check. 8K is nothing, some of these people spend well over 30k!! Tahriib isn't about seeking a better life as it is about wanting to live in the West.

Estarix
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Estarix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:00 pm

I didn't get any life, food, money, and hosing he says. He expected he would roll around in stack of cash once he got to Europe after spending everything he had, he has returned Empty handed. I say this guy is a fool and loser who gave up easily.

Although Europe isn't what he envisioned, there is ample opportunities there not found in Somalia. He could have at least gotten a job and waited til he had made back the $8k he spent on his Tahriib
His asylum application didnt get accepted, did you read the article? besides an unskilled refugee would struggle to make money. He would have to do a job he looks down and do with minimum wage which would net him around 12-13,000 a year, a pittance.

Estarix
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Estarix » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Funny how Somalis in Europe are scrambling to get away from Europe whereas those in Somalia are fleeing to the west.

Siciid85
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Siciid85 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:21 pm

Yes I read it. But I have hard time believing that someone after all the dangers of tahriib didn't deter his migration simply gave up because his application was denied.

It is a case of giving up after coming too far. He could have appeal or simply tried his luck before doing u turn to where it all began

Obviously should have never done tahriib but at least if you do and are lucky enough, then be a man and make it happen.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.