Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I think early colonial writers lied about Madhiban/skilled guild; "Sambo" effect manufactured by Brits I suspect

Daily chitchat on Somali politics.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

I think early colonial writers lied about Madhiban/skilled guild; "Sambo" effect manufactured by Brits I suspect

Postby Gubbet » Sat May 15, 2021 12:06 pm

Does anybody know why I would say that?

Have you ever noticed something odd about earlier colonial discourse and their characterization of Madhibaan?

Even worse, have you ever found the characterization hard to justify or even inconsistent with anything concerning the subject matter?

Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: I think early colonial writers lied about Madhiban/skilled guild; "Sambo" effect manufactured by Brits I suspect

Postby Gubbet » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:49 am

Early British colonial writers lied about Madhibaan. They perpetuated a well recognized descriptive strategy based on fictionalized embellishment we now called "Sambo" effect. You can read about Sambo online but it wasn't only towards Madhibaan.

They lazily regurgitated the same tropes (engorging this meat after a hunt, blood running down their bodies, mindless ant like being who are good finding tracks for them, one incident or another where they save the author from a hunt inwhich they mindlessly again allegedly stab the animal with their arrows and daggers and then engorge on the scene) time and time again towards all they called "helot" tribes or groups we now identify as marginalized. It was always effected as an extreme juxtaposition, a sort of spoil to the majority of the land being brought in to the commonwealth as a constiuent member.

The people designed as audience for the stories weren't you or people in the culture, heck they could never imagine our lives right now.

The audience was supposed to be the sheltered influential society folk in upper class Europe needing to be shocked and entertained by the strange and wondrous world their countries were going to go civilize.

This is why;

1. The writings are all from a period and they completely and immediately cease once real administration was built and real anthropologists and scholars came to.study---not just the wild gamesman or extremely adventurous globe trotter looking for shock and awe but without any trained skills in ethnography.

2. The writings are all British.or the point of view they speak for or influenced, those sourcing them. Yet this perspective is fantastically missing from ITALIAN travelers who ironically saw a larger, and bigger proportion of the Somali people and lands.

3. And the biggest and 1st clue of all that made me suspicious was, after employing critical observation, I noticed foundational inconsistencies that did not cosign with BASIC HUMAN EVOLUTIONARY HISTORY AND ANTHROLOLOGY;
As for dead meat, it doesn't even make scientific sense.

You have to understand the way the dead meat story is employed in Somali culture is not even Hunter-Gatherer. It is scavenger.

So do they eat collected carcass meat (scavenging) or do they eat foraged food/hunt meat (hunter-gatherer)?

Do they not know the cultural and evolutionary difference between SCAVENGING and HUNTING/GATHERING is even greater than Pastoralism and Agriculture?

Or did they not know using FIRE and going to HUNT is literally the moment one evolved from scavenging to hunting/gathering?

How about the fact that NOMADIC PASTORALISTS like Somalis are literal the half brother to hunting/gathering in comparison to the distant farmer?

The whole story is nothing more than the simple meanderings of small localized primitive myth creation.
At that time, I thought the caricature "which did not make sense" was naturally reflecting from Somali culture, but it is obvious now it was actually reflected from the imposed colonial readaptation that monopolized and owned the narrative informing how an already marginalized group was even retold back to the society they were within.

Yet, none of the folks from that era sufficiently understand the extent of the biological and anthropological inconsistency the fake caricatures would ultimately be betrayed by.

Hunting and gathering =/= scavenging

They were pointing out "allegedly" what they said were hunter/gathers while ascribing scavenger characteristics.

The discovery of fire was the most important cultural development in human history. It allowed humans to jump from scavenging TO hunting/gathering.

Hunting/gathering is as culturally evolved to scavenging as 4th ave New York living is evolved to hunting/gathering. I mean literally and figuratively.

There are no human scavengers for at least 200000 years.

Scavenging = "engorging" on uncooked, raw carcass

Hunting/gathering = going out to "hunt" meat rarher than growing or keeping domesticated animals

These are Hunter gathers

Notice that fire? Any scavenging early man that did not jump 200,000 lost the race. There have not been any existing human scavengers for that long.

So when they randomly equivocate "baqti" buu cunay (wild game/hunting) and *cayriin buu cunay" ((carcassscavenging?)----it tells basic human mind understanding the huge evolutionary distinction and wide cultural chasm between the two groups that the basic facts underpinning this story are probably non-existent.

It is like an alien describing humans " there are two kinds, one bigger and taller, hair in face, and betweem the legs something protrudes (penis/man?) and the other are small, long hair in head, but not on body,, and thr chest protrudea (breast/woman?).....and the bigger with protruding leg gives birth to a new one of their kind (the man gives birth?)----at that point, one expert would br like "yeah, I don't think you actually went to earth, are you just repeag

Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: I think early colonial writers lied about Madhiban/skilled guild; "Sambo" effect manufactured by Brits I suspect

Postby Gubbet » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:56 am

Cliff;

-British early travelors utilized Anglo-American writing technique most popularly explained by the Sambo effect

-Same tropes about all they deemed "Helots" (marginalized groups/castes/artisanal groups..even the term helot is from classical tropes and Greece)

-Allegedly Madhibaan observed to eat dead, carcass meat or fresh hunted meat---all raw, uncooked, bloody

-This observation only existed from mid-1800 century to early colonialism (the same time from Sambo style was popular)

-This observation is never represented in the experience and perspective of Italian writers; not one ever observed such a thing though they traveled and saw more Somalis

-Humans who eat raw carcass meat DISAPPEARED 200,000 YEARS AGO..... THERE IS NO SURVIVING HUMAN CULTURE THAT DID NOT TRANSITION OUT OF SCAVENGING WITH THE ADVANT OF FIRE

-HUNTER GATHERERS DO NOT EAT RAW CARCASS MEAT; 100% OF HUNTER GATHERERS USE FIRE

-THE VERY TRANSITION TO HUNTING AND GATHERING WAS AN EVOLUTIONARY ADVANCEMENT AND DEVELOPMEMT FROM SCAVENGER STAGE

-AGAIN THERE ARE NO SURVIVING HUMAN CULTURES THAT HAVE NOT TRANSITIONED TO FIRE AND COOKING THEIR MEAT IN THR LASY 2000000 YEARS

= Hunting is NOT scavenging

-The trope about Madhibaan described SCAVENGERS while identifying Hunter/Gathers

-It was false trope

Shirib
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Shirib » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:43 pm

You should really consider doing a PhD in Somali history.

ReturnOfMariixmaan
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ReturnOfMariixmaan » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:56 pm

I tell him all the time.

Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gubbet » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:59 am

I take it you appreciate the englightening results from my random critical analysis?

When I ran this position by my father, he said "I always believed the stories were false, I mean we all know deep down "caqli gal maaha" (it's not rational), but until this moment I could never say HOW it was false let alone argue against it because it is not true rather than because it was not the right thing. "

His response got me thinking because of the last part's implications for the victims of this cruelty.

It is the difference between CHARITY and SELF-SUFFICIENCY.

Pushing back against something you feel is wrong is a minimum; it is goodwill, but it is like providing charity to a helpless person if in fact the issue itself was false attributed and a lie to begin with.

If it was falsely attributed, then it needs to be pushed back against not because it is right per se, BUT BECAUSE IT WAS FALSELY ATTRIBUTED PURELY AS A FACTUAL MATTER.

Their dignity--- cruelly and oppressively stolen from them--needs to be wrenched back from those evil hands.

The victim of this evil oppression doesn't need CHARITY, they deserve to be given back their stolen DIGNITY.

As long as I live, as God is my witness, I will realize the goal of wrenching back the dignity and honor stolen from the rightful ownership of our brothers and sisters, bestowed on them as a God-given natural heirloom upon the moment of their creation.

Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gubbet » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:08 am

Bump

ReturnOfMariixmaan
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ReturnOfMariixmaan » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:02 pm

Truth be told I never looked on anybody for their clan especially these folks. It is the endogamy caste system of Somalis. Like all groups in Neolithic times. It is a remnant. Truth be told non Somalis shouldn’t be even allowed to know it why? Because it’s irrelevant. Your ethnic and national identity matter the most. Somalis aren’t cryptic.

theyuusuf143
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: "Dareen naxli reeba iyo nolosha aan loo sinayn naftaaday dhaawacaan" by dhaglas

Postby theyuusuf143 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:23 pm

Even the most well developed countries like Norway, Ireland or Romania have midgo. In Norway they are called the samis. In Ireland they are called the the travellers. In Romania they have gypsies. India is even worse. All these communities have one thing in common they are often labeled things they are not.

barbarossa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby barbarossa » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:23 pm

Ustaad Yusuf, has it right.
Nothing that has cadaan stamp of approval can be possibly wrong.

ReturnOfMariixmaan
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ReturnOfMariixmaan » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:55 pm

Good. Thebes accepts the assignment

Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gubbet » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:31 am

It is mildly contemptible the way Yusuf believes the colonial writer's words are "evidence" as opposed to some to test against "critical analysis," but to. be fair to him his last sentence contextualizes his difference with what the colonial writer is imparting. So in short he was dismissing the colonial writer.

SadSayyid

Postby SadSayyid » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:40 am

There's a case to be made that the "Midgaan" or "Sab" in European societies are the main population and the travellers and the gypsies who are despised are the nomads.

Somalis need to thank this geography we're always cursing. Otherwise today lamagoodle would be a slur, not Jareer or Midgaan.

I feel very sorry for the Tumaals and the Rahanweyn. I read a theory that "Soomaal" was the name of an occupation, not a race. Like "Bedouin" or in the European sense "Traveller" or "Gypsy".

Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gubbet » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:22 am

Sad,

1. Their endonym name is "Madhibaan/Madhimaan," Tumaal is "Birmaal."

I plus every other single Mareexaan I have ever met dislike the accentuated reference "Mariixaan" because we know some mean it as an epithet ("pathetic").if you notice some of the Somalilanders here started to reference Dhulbahante intentionally as "Dhulmahante" ("vagrant").

Their endonym name is Madhibaan/Madhimaan (Innocent) not the exonym Midga(c)an (Bow Hand).

Their social group is also not called "Sab" (Submerged), but "Gabooye" (Tradesman/Artisan's Union/Skilled Guild).

2. It is true the nomads were the "outcasted" where they formed a minority and in this circumstance the tradesmen "outcasted" among an unsettled majority.

There is something else though.

The socially formed extreme outcasting against the Artisans (especially working with metallurgy).among the entire populations of the Horn (Cushitic and Semitic/Ethiopian and Somali/Oromo even Sidama) is so universal and so extenuating that it is considered a "world outlier."

Literally we are can be so consumed with our Somaliness that we don't see around us but the Somali feature is merely a part of a Horn (Cushitic/Semitic) feature which altogether is considered an EXTREME oddity among the rest of humanity. Even the Semitic speaking Ethiopians do not resemble other Semitic cultures.

I haven't seen anyone find a definitive answer to this but something tells me this all has to do with how the Afro-Asiatic speaking Horners first came to the Horn northwest from the Sudan to Upper Egypt E-v32 belt.

We don't recognize it but we are actually very unique as modern Horners being in the land and with our majority at the EXPENSE of those before us----namely the Horn is one of the most unique parts of the globe which saw total and complete impacted population replacement.

You can call it "genocide" or "ethnic cleansing" or whatever---and they were theorized to be like the Khakhoi hunter gatherers.

Somehow a rigid class segregation was mayhaps as a way to rationalizing/absolving what was done and subsequently even turned into a " punishment" for those outcasted from within as a " policing " agent.

Allahu Aclam though.

theyuusuf143
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: "Dareen naxli reeba iyo nolosha aan loo sinayn naftaaday dhaawacaan" by dhaglas

Postby theyuusuf143 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:24 am

It is mildly contemptible the way Yusuf believes the colonial writer's words are "evidence" as opposed to some to test against "critical analysis," but to. be fair to him his last sentence contextualizes his difference with what the colonial writer is imparting. So in short he was dismissing the colonial writer.
My point is discrimination against some peaple exists every country, , it's not something special for us because of jaahilnimo and it's not something brought by the colonials . If you go to japan (an advanced country with less outside influence ) you will find peaple with hereditary status of untouchability.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.