Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Monumentum Adulitanum

Taariikhda Soomaaliya ee ka horeysey intaan diintu soo gaarin

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators, Islam mods

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Monumentum Adulitanum

Postby James Dahl » Wed May 14, 2014 4:12 am

Most scholars today agree that the Monumentum Adulitanum is a chronicle of conquests by Ezana in the 4th century. I however believe that this is utter nonsense, and this is a much earlier conquest of a pre-Aksumite king of Zeila who went on to conquer most of what would become the Empire of Aksum. Perhaps he was the first Emperor of Aksum?
Having after this with a strong hand compelled the nations bordering on my kingdom to live in peace, I made war upon the following nations, and by force of arms reduced them to subjection. I warred first with the nation of Gazê, then with Agamê and Sigyê, and having conquered them I exacted the half of all that they possessed. I next reduced Aua and Tiamô, called Tziamô, and the Gambêla, and the tribes near them, and Zingabênê and Angabe and Tiama and Athagaûs and Kalaa, and the Semênoi ---- a people who lived beyond the Nile on mountains difficult of access and covered with snow, where the year is all winter with hailstorms, frosts and snows into which a man sinks knee-deep. I passed the river to attack these nations, and reduced them. I next subdued Lazine and Zaa and Gabala, tribes which inhabit mountains with steep declivities abounding with hot springs, the Atalmô and Bega, and all the tribes in the same quarter along with them. I proceeded next against the Tangaitae, who adjoin the borders of Egypt; and having reduced them I made a footpath giving access by land into Egypt from that part of my dominions. Next I reduced Annine and Metine----tribes inhabiting precipitous mountains. My arms were next directed against the Sesea nation. These had retired to a high mountain difficult of access; but I blockaded the mountain on every side, and compelled them to come down and surrender. I then selected for myself the best of their young men and their women, with their sons and daughters and all besides that they possessed. The tribes of Rhausi I next brought to submission: a barbarous race spread over wide waterless plains in the interior of the frankincense country. Advancing thence towards the sea, I encountered the Solate, whom I subdued, and left with instructions to guard the coast. All these nations, protected though they were by mountains all but impregnable, I conquered, after engagements in which I was myself present. Upon their submission I restored their territories to them, subject to the payment of tribute. Many other tribes besides these submitted of their own accord, and became likewise tributary. And I sent a fleet and land forces against the Arabitae and Cinaedocolpitae who dwelt on the other side of the Red Sea, and having reduced the sovereigns of both, I imposed on them a land tribute and charged them to make travelling safe both by sea and by land. I thus subdued the whole coast from Leucê Cômê to the country of the Sabaeans. I first and alone of the kings of my race made these conquests. For this success I now offer my thanks to my mighty God, Arês, who begat me, and by whose aid I reduced all the nations bordering on my own country, on the East to the country of frankincense, and on the West to Ethiopia and Sasu. Of these expeditions, some were conducted by myself in person, and ended in victory, and the others I entrusted to my officers. Having thus brought all the world under my authority to peace, I came down to Aduli and offered sacrifice to Zeus, and to Ares and to Poseidon, whom I entreated to befriend all who go down to the sea in ships. Here also I reunited all my forces, and setting down this Chair in this place, I consecrated it to Ares in the twenty-seventh year of my reign.
A lot of these nations are identifiable. It's clear he is starting out from Adulis and conquering south from there.

1) The "Gazê": Here he's conquering Akkele Guzay, the Gazê are also known as the Agazyan or the Ge'ez or the Xabasha, Who were the Aksumites if they weren't Xabasha? Good question! :lol:
2) The "Agamê": The inhabitants of Agame, who's capital was at Matara. Ethiopians call them "Belew Kelew".
3) The "Sigyê": Considering where he goes next, this is probably a nation who originally lived around Entitcho. Debre Damo is located in this area
4) The "Aua": This is a nation that lived around Adwa. Adwa means "Ad Aua" the city of the Aua.
5) The "Tziamô": This probably referes to Tembien, south of Adwa
6) The "Gambêla": This refers to the Jambela valley of Enderta, probably named after the people who lived there.
7) The "Zingabênê": Probably the original inhabitants of Mek'ele
8) The "Angabe": Other inscriptions of Ezana's campaigns put Angabe in Agaw country as well, probably the the original inhabitants of Saloa
9) The "Tiama": Probably the original inhabitants of Abergele, along the Takezze
10) The "Athagaûs": Probably a branch of the Agaw native to Woggerat
11) The "Kalaa": Kalawe is on the other side of the Takezze
12) The "Semênoi": Finally a name that survived, the Semien Mountains, these are the Qemant (or Falashas) he's attacking now, probably what is now Tselemti
13) The "Lazine": Lazen is where King Kaleb is from. Probably the original inhabitants of Waldebba
14) The "Zaa": Probably the original inhabitants of Woggera
15) The "Gabala": Probably the original inhabitants of Dembeya, challenging territory indeed, centered around Gonder
16) The "Atalmô": Probably the original inhabitants of Fogera, along the eastern shore of Lake Tana.
17) The "Bega": He's actually referring to the Bega of Begmeder, not the Beja of Sudan
18) The "Tangaitae": He is done with his southern conquests and this is clearly a new campaign, this time in Eritrea. These are probably the original inhabitants of what is now called the Sahel region. He says this gives him a border with Egypt, which must mean this conquest is occurring in the time of Ptolemaic Egypt's rule over Suakin (they called it Limen Evangelis), so the 1st century or so!
19) The "Annine": Probably the original inhabitants of Senhit.
20) The "Metine": Mentioned in other inscriptions, the original inhabitants of Hamasien.
21) The "Sesea": Probably Debarwa, with it's forbidding mountains. He doesn't go any further west, turning east again.
22) The "Rhausi": The original inhabitants of the Danakil Depression, probably long since absorbed by the Afars
23) The "Solate": The original inhabitants of the Buri Peninsula and northern Danakil coast

My interpretation is he never went south of Lake Tana, never went west of Eritrea, and never went east of Hawakil Bay in the Afar country.

No Ethiopian conquerer ventured into Somali lands until Amde Seyon.
Last edited by James Dahl on Wed May 14, 2014 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caesar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Monumentum Adulitanum

Postby Caesar » Wed May 14, 2014 4:16 am

you said pre akusmite king of zaylac

go on. ill check with my zaylac family for accuracy

James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby James Dahl » Wed May 14, 2014 4:22 am

I went through the list to see if this is where Zeila was conquered, but I don't think it was. It must have been later, maybe much later, in history. Maybe Ezana or one of his successors?

Caesar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Caesar » Wed May 14, 2014 4:26 am

I went through the list to see if this is where Zeila was conquered, but I don't think it was. It must have been later, maybe much later, in history. Maybe Ezana or one of his successors?
perhaps

ill check with my cousins back home and get back to you soon inshallah

James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby James Dahl » Wed May 14, 2014 11:51 am

I'll do a map later of what I think the campaigns of the Monumentum Adulitanum would have looked like.

James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby James Dahl » Sun May 18, 2014 8:50 pm

http://historyinthehorn.wordpress.com/2 ... dulitanum/

Blogged about it, here is the map:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.

Return to “Somalia History - Before Islam”