Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darod Origin Stories

Taariikhda Soomaaliya ee ka horeysey intaan diintu soo gaarin

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators, Islam mods

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Bari14
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Darod Origin Stories

Postby Bari14 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:39 am

Greetings Snetters,

I'm currently doing some research into Origins of the Darod and was hoping to collect stories on them and see if they existed prior to The Islamic conquest and fall of Aksum.

Some key indicators I've already found were through word etymologies. The term Boqor had been used a title for War chiefs in Nubia (Meroe Army) and it may have come from the fighting style (Paqar) used among Meroë military.

The word Qoray (Las Qoray :smugruss:) can also be traced the title used for the Cush Kings (Qore :wow:) that ruled during the 25th dynasty of Egypt.

Any stories that relate to early Darods would be appreciated :MJ:

I once heard a story that there used a giant darod that used to carry a fifty lb bag of timir across the desert and would finish the thing while he made the trek :damn:

Caesar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Darod Origin Stories

Postby Caesar » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:05 am

Im cool with Darood they are upstanding people. But I think some Dir were assimilated into a new Darood ideology etc. You have to agree Ancient Somali words = Ancient somali people right :)

Caesar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Caesar » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:23 am

Also Qore.. can't that mean "above" in a way. So I can see it being named "ruler" etc.

I know of a place in Galbeed called awliyo koombe?
The local legends are that they were converted to Islam by Shiekh Abadir so that's kind of interesting.
So that means Koombe name existed before Islam reached them. I suppose.
If you're looking into Darood Origins look at the names of the Subclans you will find your answers there. They are Cushitic names. Kablalax,Koombe, Majerteen, Ogadeen etc.

Bari14
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Bari14 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:36 am

Thanks for that feedback sxb. I totally agree with you there on the "Somalis been here" theory :blessed:

I've already noticed that a lot of the pre-Islamic Arab gods (hubal, etc) had originated from the motherland! :dead:

Seeing that we were a big trading Hun between two of the largest civilizations that have ever existed ( egypt & ancient sumeria), it would only make sense that a lot of the old gods we believed in carried on to other cultures. Hubal was considered the most important out of all 365 gods that were housed as idols in the Ka'bah (prior to the Battle Badr when Swa ordered all idols to be destroyed).

To this day Hubal is considered as an old Somali god of literature. Could we have descended from the original Hebrews that started worshipping the calf after Musa left to the mountains?!? :wow:

Caesar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Caesar » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:46 am

Thanks for that feedback sxb. I totally agree with you there on the "Somalis been here" theory :blessed:

I've already noticed that a lot of the pre-Islamic Arab gods (hubal, etc) had originated from the motherland! :dead:

Seeing that we were a big trading Hun between two of the largest civilizations that have ever existed ( egypt & ancient sumeria), it would only make sense that a lot of the old gods we believed in carried on to other cultures. Hubal was considered the most important out of all 365 gods that were housed as idols in the Ka'bah (prior to the Battle Badr when Swa ordered all idols to be destroyed).

To this day Hubal is considered as an old Somali god of literature. Could we have descended from the original Hebrews that started worshipping the calf after Musa left to the mountains?!? :wow:
Ah so you agree as well we somalis are the same people we been for thousands of years.

Hmm the Hebrew stuff I don't know, they say the Yibir are jews, I heard some things about Yibir are just lost Falasha and stuff like that and they traded back and forth and chilled, I can see that happening but I don't think every somali was with that since they are a minority.
History is retained with the people, everyone knows where everyone comes from :up: there is no secrets in Somali history lemme say that, everyone remembers everything.

Somalis were monotheist in a way with that Waaq stuff. But I think each region had their own regional gods and customs etc.
That Hubaal stuff is interesting, it reminded me of a Somali Lullaby I was sung to as a child, in words I never knew of. ( Old dialect)
I think it's in some ancient somali because I had no idea what it meant when it was sung to me. (Using some words I never heard of lol)

But what i mean is, our past is retained in our culture, language, poems, and songs

Bari14
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Bari14 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:09 am

Thanks for that feedback sxb. I totally agree with you there on the "Somalis been here" theory

To this day Hubal is considered as an old Somali god of literature. Could we have descended from the original Hebrews that started worshipping the calf after Musa left to the mountains?!?
Ah so you agree as well we somalis are the same people we been for thousands of years.

Hmm the Hebrew stuff I don't know, they say the Yibir are jews, I heard some things about Yibir are just lost Falasha and stuff like that and they traded back and forth and chilled, I can see that happening but I don't think every somali was with that since they are a minority.
History is retained with the people, everyone knows where everyone comes from :up: there is no secrets in Somali history lemme say that, everyone remembers everything.

Somalis were monotheist in a way with that Waaq stuff. But I think each region had their own regional gods and customs etc.
That Hubaal stuff is interesting, it reminded me of a Somali Lullaby I was sung to as a child, in words I never knew of. ( Old dialect)
I think it's in some ancient somali because I had no idea what it meant when it was sung to me. (Using some words I never heard of lol)

But what i mean is, our past is retained in our culture, language, poems, and songs

Yes, we are known to have some of the best poetry around (even Mad Mullah sent war poems to the British).

Though a concerning I've been finding tracing my family's roots is that they have little to no knowledge on the pre Islamic past and all the historians in my family either went nuts or have been killed :damn:

I hope to unravel our history (before Mr. Dahl does :troll:) and make a little trip back to Maakhir to see if I can start some preservational projects and do some serious digging :smugruss:

Caesar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Caesar » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:12 am

Maakhir is the blessed land :blessed:

Talk to the fams back home link up and learn the history :lol:

Malmalxagardheer

Postby Malmalxagardheer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:28 am

My brothers in the origin of Darod ,I have lots of respects for you, am Masara ethnic tribe who believes in and is the reality that we originated from the son of Noah called Misraim, Misra, Masara,Masr,Mitsrayaim all of same name.That was before Islam we left Egypt and today Somali ethin group of Saransoor clan. Now that Darods are linking thier origins to Egypt is good news for us. The Masara nation.So I am not surprised we are just one ethnic origin or at least we are related in history. I appreciate your research and wish to invite your comments for more discussions, healthy debates about origins.
My intention is building friendship and harmony between our folks.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.