Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the indigenous inhabitants of Mogadishu (aka Xamar)?

Taariikhda Soomaaliya ee ka horeysey intaan xoriyada la qaadan

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators, Islam mods

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
somali4lyf

Who are the indigenous inhabitants of Mogadishu (aka Xamar)?

Postby somali4lyf » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:25 pm

As you may know, a lot of you are already fed up with the renowned phrase, 'xamar unukaa leh'. I want to take this opportunity to shed light on the original inhabitants of Mogadishu. The following narrative is recollected from my grandma (allaha unaxriisto).

Before the arrival of the Italians, Mogadishu was a booming city with all sorts of trading activity and the emergence of Islamic centers. Even when the Sheikh of Hadramout, Haitamy, visited and met the Shiekh of Mogadishu at that time, Shiekh Muhyiddin Mukarram, he is quoted saying that "لو للعجمة لكان افقه من الهيثمي". This clearly indicates how far Mogadishu was ahead than most Islamic centers. In addition to that, the accounts of Ibn Batuta's journey which chronicled the cities he visited described Mogadishu as a vibrant city with an Indian and Arab flavour that has all sort of glamor. Mogadishu enjoyed a limited period of tranquility and huge progress. However, that seemed short lived with the arrival of 'lamagoodles' in the beautiful city.

As gathered from my grandma, she recalls from her great grandparents that when their relatives took their long voyage from Hadramout, Yemen, heading down South to Zanzibar (Omani empire), their 'dhow' or ship capsized in a place, the present Mogadishu. As a result they established the first camp of the new inhabitants of Mogadishu. I wonder where were the people of Mogadishu at that time? Or were there people who really lived in that particular area at that particular time? This clearly suggests that Mogadishu was never inhabited until the Arabs established their first settlements in Mogadishu. The Arabs built the city and started interacting with the people who used to come to the town in search for a better life. She recollects that, back in the days, Mogadishu had only one gate, and all the folks who worked in the city during the day went back to their hoods on sunset. This can be analogous to the local Kenyans who come to Eastleigh from all Nairobi counties as far as the exit gate of Nairobi. Because when they trek for their daily jobs, they have to pass through the board that reads 'welcome to Nairobi' and when they are returning, 'kuwaheri'. Just imagine Somalis being in that similar situation some 200 years ago.

The whole narrative changed when the Italians came. All over sudden, we hear the manual labourers claiming to be the indigenous locals of Mogadishu. Did you know the Italians invited the Arabs to rule Mogadishu? Had the Arabs took the power to rule that land...only Allah knows. So the phrase 'unukaa leh' should stop and Mogadishu should be returned to the people who opened its gates and civilized the barbaric locals that surround its territories.

All critiques, further insight, claims, and comments are welcomed!

AgentOfChaos
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Who are the indigenous inhabitants of Mogadishu (aka Xam

Postby AgentOfChaos » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:35 pm

All I know is if I go to Xamar I would probably get shot by a guy shouting "xamar unukaa leh!"

Calibesteen
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Calibesteen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Hawiye, Xawaadle, Raxanweyn and Dir all had presence in what is today Banaadir state with the center being Mogadishu. If I land in an uninhabited part of China, can I claim that land? Do you think indho yar will accept you claiming dhulkooda? So why would Somalis accept an Arab or Indian claiming their city? the Term Unuka leh is a joke and the city belongs to Somalis.

Now get the fuck out of here you CadCad istupir and take theBitchAndWhore with you. :pacspit:

Calibesteen
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Calibesteen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:39 pm

All I know is if I go to Xamar I would probably get shot by a guy shouting "xamar unukaa leh!"

Listen to me son, waad leedahay Xamar just like me, dont you ever forget that. :ufdup:

somali4lyf

Postby somali4lyf » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:45 pm

Now get the fuck out of here you CadCad istupir and take theBitchAndWhore with you. :pacspit:

somali4lyf

Postby somali4lyf » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:46 pm

Listen to me son, waad leedahay Xamar just like me, dont you ever forget that. :ufdup:
Haha what a joke!!

SANDIEGUY
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby SANDIEGUY » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:51 pm

So is the OP suggesting that Xamar belongs to the Arabs?

Calibesteen
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Calibesteen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Disprove my statement if you can. It belongs to Somalis and you should go back to Yemen or Oman.

Focking desert rat. :pacspit:

somali4lyf

Postby somali4lyf » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:56 pm

Do you accept the 'Arabs' as Somalis?

DANGIRL
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby DANGIRL » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:58 pm

Don't plan on visiting xamar...ever!!!

SANDIEGUY
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby SANDIEGUY » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Lol is this a trick question ?

Calibesteen
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Calibesteen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Lol is this a trick question ?

All Somalis clans own Xamar, from Hawiye, Darod, Raxanweyn, Dir, Isak, Xawaadle, Gardheere/Garre etc. but I do not see desert rats in that equation. :steviej:

Calibesteen
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Calibesteen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:02 pm

It is an oxymoron. Arab is an ethnicity and Somali is an ethnicity. You cannot be both and one cannot fall under the other. :ufdup:

SANDIEGUY
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby SANDIEGUY » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:03 pm

All Somalis clans own Xamar, from Hawiye, Darod, Raxanweyn, Dir, Isak, Xawaadle, Gardheere/Garre etc. but I do not see desert rats in that equation.
This!!
-----
Minus the insults lol :up:

----
Also why did you write Hawiye first? loool jk bud :lol:

Calibesteen
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Calibesteen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:07 pm

All Somalis clans own Xamar, from Hawiye, Darod, Raxanweyn, Dir, Isak, Xawaadle, Gardheere/Garre etc. but I do not see desert rats in that equation.
This!!
-----
Minus the insults lol :up:

----
Also why did you write Hawiye first? loool jk bud :lol:

Loooooooooooool @ that is the first thing you saw. :pac:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.