Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anyone out there from Jilib?

Qaybta Dadka kala dhumay (lumay)

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators, Islam mods

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Anyone out there from Jilib?

Postby Grant » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:32 pm

My name is Grant. I taught English at the government school in Jilib during parts of 1966 and 1967. I lost contact with my friends after the Russian takeover.

I would like to hear from anyone who remembers Jilib in the decade after Independence. I would especially like to hear from anyone who remembers Said Ali, Director of the Agraria, or who knows Ibrahim Mohammed Sheik of the Gosha, or Abdi Salad Seguleh of the Majerteen.

My memories of Somalia and of the Somali people are all good. I wish you well.

Iskawarran!

Grant
Last edited by Grant on Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I-Think-You-Like-Me
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby I-Think-You-Like-Me » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:05 pm

1965? Laughing Laughing i am 28 years old. u too old for dis site.

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:40 pm

I am 62. What other site can you recommend ?

TIA,

Grant

MEAN_GURL4LIFE
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby MEAN_GURL4LIFE » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:26 am

I think those people are dead by know,or still living in Somalia you never know.About go to the somali community where you live and ask around maybe i'll find someone who is relative to them.Hope you find them soon if not give up!

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:00 pm

MG4Life,

Aniga ku mahadaya u jawaab!

(I hope that is comprehensible or at least that the idea comes thru. I do thank you.)

As I am sure you know, Somali news has not been widely broadcast here in the States. I just discovered S-net this year, and even here I have only been able to learn a little about the living conditions, access etc. in the lower Jubba.

Does mail service exist?

I am in Oakland California. We have visible Eritrean and Ethiopian coummunities here, but no Somalis that I have been able to identify. If any are here and see this, please contact me. I could be a good neighbor and friend.

I will continue to hope for news of my friends.

If the situation stabilizes in the South, I would like to spend a couple more years teaching English there, or doing anything else there that would help. I fell in love with the country and the people, almost like having it in my blood, perhaps made worse by not being able for so long to get word or visit.

My wish this Christmas day is for peace on earth for all men, but especially for those in Somalia.

Nabad,

Grant

The Arabman
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby The Arabman » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:24 pm

Mr. Grant, you're trying to contact people you knew close to 40 years ago. I don't think it would be an impossible task, but it would be difficult. In order to locate them, you have to give some details about them. For instance, were the individuals born in Jilib? How old were they? Where did they work? Did they have nicknames? Did they knew influential persons (like the mayor) of Jilib? Do you have any pictures of them?

Bear in mind, most members who frequent this forum are very young. Elder Somalis hardly use the Internet.

I am not sure about this (can be verified), but Jilib could have limited telecommunications infrastructure, meaning it's possible to make a call to Jilib.

So far, you have only provided their names. Did Said Ali work for the Agriculture department of Jilib? The more details you provide, the better.

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:46 pm

TAM,

Said Ali (I also saw his name written "Sid Ali") was director of the agricultural research station across the river from Jilib. He had two wives, the second of which was Aday Omar. Either his third name or her third name was Abdulahi. I lived in their compound on the street off the main road nearest the government school, just past the police station. They were older than me and may not now be alive. But I taught his children by his first wife and some of them may remember me. He visited me here in 1969 and I imagine they have heard stories. I believe he must have been Hawiye, but I never heard his subgroup. He had a harelip and was fluent in Italian and Arabic as well as English.

Abdi Salad Seguleh (Abdi Dherey, sp.?) was secretary to the Somali-Soviet agricultural project near Jilib. He is Umar Mahamoud MJ, I think from Hoddur. He is about my age. He wrote me that he planned to move back to Xamar in late 1969 or 1970.

Haji Shafee of Barawe is about my age. He was working for the agricultural department. I only knew him briefly, but I have answers to questions Nurenni Haji Ahmed asked me that he may be interested in. They concern agricultural possibilities for Barawe.

Ibrahim Mohammed Sheik (Suleyman ?) was the son of the mayor of Jilib. They are of the Gosha. Ibrahim is younger than me and was a student at the Egyptian school when I was there.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide, or suggestions for how else I can approach this.

Grant

The Arabman
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby The Arabman » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:01 pm

Mr. Grant, you have provided some useful details. If you later remember additional details, post it here. I know some elders (who might have known the individuals you're looking for) who live in the US & UK. I will contact them, and should they provide any positive help, I will write you an email, insh'Allah.

HiTech_ChiC
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby HiTech_ChiC » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:47 pm

Where is Jilib btw?

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:38 am

HT-Chic.

Jilib is in Jubada Hoose, inland about 60 Km from Kismayo. It is where the Webi Schebelli meets the Webi Juuba in a wet year. It is the agricultural heart of Somalia. With proper irrigation and infrastructure, the area could easily feed the entire country, with an excess left over for export.

Grant

*Faithful
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby *Faithful » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:58 am

[quote="Grant"]MG4Life,

Aniga ku mahadaya u jawaab!

(I hope that is comprehensible or at least that the idea comes thru. I do thank you.)

As I am sure you know, Somali news has not been widely broadcast here in the States. I just discovered S-net this year, and even here I have only been able to learn a little about the living conditions, access etc. in the lower Jubba.

Does mail service exist?

I am in Oakland California. We have visible Eritrean and Ethiopian coummunities here, but no Somalis that I have been able to identify. If any are here and see this, please contact me. I could be a good neighbor and friend.

I will continue to hope for news of my friends.

If the situation stabilizes in the South, I would like to spend a couple more years teaching English there, or doing anything else there that would help. I fell in love with the country and the people, almost like having it in my blood, perhaps made worse by not being able for so long to get word or visit.

My wish this Christmas day is for peace on earth for all men, but especially for those in Somalia.

Nabad,

Grant[/quote]

California does has a large somali community,but not in Oakland but in San Digeo you'll probably will find help around this area.

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:39 am

Millad Muule,

Is there a comunity group in San Diego? How about a forum?

Is there anyone there in particular that I could contact?

Many thanks for your information,

Grant

Dabacsan

Postby Dabacsan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:21 am

Mr Grand
WHere i am at Dallas, Texas just across the border in Oklahoma there are large somali bantu communityall majority of them are from jilib and jamaame, most of them are farmers there are even some older people just like your age.they maybe helpfull to you, i will mention to them those names you wrote and ask if the knew any of them and if i found any news i will post it you. wish you best of luck.

Dabacsan

Postby Dabacsan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:25 am

I also forget to give you one more advice. most older people from somalia they like to listen bbc.com in somali language you can email the bbc that you are looking those people and they will air on there missing persons news. Happy new yeard and marry chritmas to you too.

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:33 pm

Dabacsan,

I have clearly not been monitoring this post the way I should have. Thank you for the reply, and especially for the information. Ibrahim Muhammed Sheik (Suleiman?) was the only one likely to be with that group. I am embarassed to say I am uncertain about his last name.

Do you know anything about the circumstances of their evacuation? Were all of the Gosha removed? The group in Oaklahoma, is there a community organization of any kind? Contact information? I had understood that most of the Gosha were in Canada.

God Bless!

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.