Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

did Amir nuur create identity called Harrari People?

Dadka ku dhaqan ama ka imaaday gobolkan

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
St8OuttaDirree
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Re: did Amir nuur create identity called Harrari People?

Postby St8OuttaDirree » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:12 pm

I guess what some peoples saying are all credit is due to Arabs and Kushites are not creative nation, even when they built the greatest civilizations that world ever known like Sumeria whom their langeuge sounds like Oromo, Egypt was Somali origin, Kush was Beja, Axume and Saba were Saba-kushite nation.
when we deny our own achievement and history it is self defeating thinking. Arabs never had dominated horn of Africa, the people who lived in Harar and Zayla were more educated about Islam then Arabs.
Orgoba was more wild than Maya, Xarla and Somal

When kid beats up another kid Somali mother would say " boy! you are as mindless killer as Orgoba" when i was young i dearly believed Orgobo was cannibal nation but later on i found out poor Orgobos were eaten alive by Oromo an Amhara and they were victims not cannibals that gave me a lot of sleepless nights.
Argobbas are a nice quite group of people, many have taken up Ittu, Qallu, Noole and Jarso clan names, but still identify themselves as Argobba.
To me hands down, their women are a lot more beautiful then the Adare ladies. A very religious group, with no voice, inshallah they will gain their identity back.

bareento
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: "telling me I am getting dignity by linking myself to Harar?" Wise Words of a Busted poor Sheegatto!

Postby bareento » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:51 pm

In my opinion the single most important event in that region was the establishement of Oda Bultum in early 16th century, probably around 1520,
right before the Imam's wars.Some say it was the whole Bareeytuma Gada but for sure militarly it was Humbanna-Itu Gadaa only; This institution send to oblivion all muslim sultanates of present day Hararge, Baalee, east Showa and beyond;

This might indicate that the population of the area was not homogenous religion wise;
and that the muslim sultanates were pockets in the sea of indigenous populations relying mainly mercenaries from desert dwellers!

Right from the beginning there was three forces in presence:
i)The muslim sultanates with Turkish help in which some Somali soldiery were drafted under harari/adal command ( Hirabu bin Goyta and co)
ii)The abyssinians later helped by the portuguese
iii)and the burgeoning Oda Bultum, indigenous force with indigenous religion

In fact the Gadaa wars started before the Abyssinia-Adal war in Baalee, around 1520...
Truly the Imam's wars were only one episode in extended struggle between the indigenous and the foreigners on one hand and the foreigners themselves on the other.In my opinion the Gadaa wars were indigenous people's answer to the slave trade conducted by the Muslims and christians alike.

Somalis tend to exagerate their role in the Adal empire; in my opinion they were only mercenaries in Adal sultanates and probably some of adal dignitaries might have somali ancestory thats all! The same way in late 18the century most of abyssinian army was made of Oromo mercenaries and even some abyssinan emperors were of oromo descent. That doesnt mean Abyssinia was an Oromo kingdom :shock:

And I laugh when Somali speak of Harer as a somali city; I havent seen any somali in that city :?

B.

abdirisak22
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: Buurdhuubo - greater Gedo region of Somali republic.

Postby abdirisak22 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:20 am

Oromo: does anyone know when the name Oromo was first mentioned in the history?

bareento
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: "telling me I am getting dignity by linking myself to Harar?" Wise Words of a Busted poor Sheegatto!

Postby bareento » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:25 am

In later times most probaby Oromo=waaqist incorporated in Gada institution

Abbaa Bahrey, mentions oromo with all major clans and subclans in his famous book; (early 16th century).
some of these clans have disappeared or became somali like Akichu :D

B.

OliveOil
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: I walk this empty street on the Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Postby OliveOil » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:29 am

Why do f-king Ethiopians act like they are closer to each other ethnically and defend each other...when a Somali is in the picture? We are all parallel (siman :?)

bareento
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby bareento » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:32 am

Oliveoil, wat are you talking about?
we are discussing history...probably not your forte

B

St8OuttaDirree
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby St8OuttaDirree » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 am

Last edited by St8OuttaDirree on Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

St8OuttaDirree
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby St8OuttaDirree » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:36 am

Somalis tend to exagerate their role in the Adal empire; in my opinion they were only mercenaries in Adal sultanates and probably some of adal dignitaries might have somali ancestory thats all! The same way in late 18the century most of abyssinian army was made of Oromo mercenaries and even some abyssinan emperors were of oromo descent. That doesnt mean Abyssinia was an Oromo kingdom :shock:

B.
Agree 100%

Gara Man
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Gara Man » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 am

I guess what some peoples saying are all credit is due to Arabs and Kushites are not creative nation, even when they built the greatest civilizations that world ever known like Sumeria whom their langeuge sounds like Oromo, Egypt was Somali origin, Kush was Beja, Axume and Saba were Saba-kushite nation.
when we deny our own achievement and history it is self defeating thinking. Arabs never had dominated horn of Africa, the people who lived in Harar and Zayla were more educated about Islam then Arabs.
Orgoba was more wild than Maya, Xarla and Somal

When kid beats up another kid Somali mother would say " boy! you are as mindless killer as Orgoba" when i was young i dearly believed Orgobo was cannibal nation but later on i found out the poor Orgobos were eaten alive by Oromo an Amhara and they were victims not cannibals that gave me a lot of sleepless nights.
Your tale of argoba is classic! I must admit am entertained, i think iv heard of something like this but am not sure. Ultimately, I believe though we are referring to two different peoples. But be careful next time!
Our achievements as a people, that is you as a somali, me as a oromo is very small. I dont know really what we have achieved.

Arabs in horn have a very long history. Yes, true they never really dominated it( due to bloodthirsty cushites) but that doesnt mean that they never had any isolated pockets between different wandering tribes. They(the arabs) existed and my opinion for main purpose of missionary activities and latter became one with the people they surrounded. You mentioned Zeyla correct? I remember hearing a tale of a group of an ancient arab population that existed there and a land somewhere in the northern part of the somali region in Ethiopia(past jijiga somewhere).

Anyways we should not take credit that doesn't belong to us.
Last edited by Gara Man on Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gara Man
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Gara Man » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:20 pm

Oromo: does anyone know when the name Oromo was first mentioned in the history?
It doesnt really matter when Oromo or more correctly Orma was first mentioned in history as a group fact remains certain oromo tribes today were mentioned long before somal or any somali was ever mentioned. For instance the Arsi.

Arsi were most likely the first current Oromos to ever be documented anywhere and that occurred during the axumite era where they were having fits with the ancestors of the Abyssinians. The location that was mentioned was the same location were they exist today. This can possibly be to why Arsi often being considered the mother stock of Oromos and where the culture originates. However considering the strong likelyhood of Arsi as well as Bale being where all Oromos grafted from doesn't necessarily mean the name Oromo or Orma did as well. Ill stop at that and leave this up for discussion.

St8OuttaDirree
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby St8OuttaDirree » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:33 pm

Last edited by St8OuttaDirree on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gara Man
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Gara Man » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:29 pm

Last edited by Gara Man on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dudaaye
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Dudaaye » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:08 am

In later times most probaby Oromo=waaqist incorporated in Gada institution

Abbaa Bahrey, mentions oromo with all major clans and subclans in his famous book; (early 16th century).
some of these clans have disappeared or became somali like Akichu :D

B.
the somali Gabbra, Sakuye and gabra miigo adopted boran culture during the Borana expansion The Borana expansion, which is said to have happened around 1660-1720

--------------------------------------
The 16th century Oromo expansion brought great disruption to these Somaloid peoples causing migrations south and westward from their southern Ethiopia and Somalia homes. These peoples were further separated when some groups of them developed ritual kinship arrangements with Oromo (Borana) peoples for protection. The Rendille were the southernmost of these Somaloid peoples and maintained their own culture and language more intact.

http://orvillejenkins.com/profiles/rendille.html

http://www.kenyacommunities.org/article ... %20Six.pdf

Talo alle udaa
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Talo alle udaa » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:21 pm

It's strange how our fellow Oromo brothers come back to life, almost in unison, as soon as something pertaining to Harar or Axmed Gurey is mentioned.

The past is behind us. We can only learn from it and help rectify previous mistakes. I believe the Somali people will one day liberate Harar from Ethiopia, and the Oromo and other muslims will partake in that liberation.

St8OuttaDirree
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby St8OuttaDirree » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:59 pm

The past is behind us. We can only learn from it and help rectify previous mistakes. I believe the Somali people will one day liberate Harar from Ethiopia, and the Oromo and other muslims will partake in that liberation.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :arrow:

Drive threw the Hararghe region, no sight of Somalis my friend. They only live around Dire Dhawa.
Like you said, the past is behind us, forget Harar you don't own it. Focus on Bringing Somalia back to its old position on the continent.
Why care for Harar anyway, the town and land in the surrounding is really crowded. If the Somalis moved in, Oromos will attack for one reason, not enough land.
Last edited by St8OuttaDirree on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.