Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hard to ignore the link between Marehan origins & Eritrea; Akele Guzai in particular

Dadka ku dhaqan ama ka imaaday gobolkan

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Sheikh Voltage ibn Guleid-Shire al-Garbaharawi, Oil Baron

Hard to ignore the link between Marehan origins & Eritrea; Akele Guzai in particular

Postby Voltage » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:36 pm

*Bear with me for a second: when such a suprise link keeps popping up in investigation, at one point you should go all in and try to comfirm for different perspective.

For quite sometime, I have been sharing with Saddam the most odd trails following Marehan history that keep leading to Eritrea-Sudan.

Very clearly, eastern Cushitic origins is from Sudan; Meroe in fact.

It is groundbreaking but I suspect (cannot prove yet) everything about the Somali ethnic group is more "recent' then assumed.

Somalis as a separate ethnic group are not "1,000" years or older.

There is no "Sheikh Darod from the 10th, 11th,12th century, etc" and no "Sheikh Isaaq from 800 years ago."

Intriguingly, I would estimate first Somali abtirsi system, AT MAX, formed mid-late 18th Century (1750-1800).

The overwhelming majority of Somali abtiris system formed late 19th Century to 20th Century (1880s-2005).

It is most likely the "Ugaas/Sultan/Boqor spontaneous combustions beginning the modern Sultanates of most of Somali geneology---is realy the beginning of the Xeer or Contract that brought them together for mutual assurance (started their qabiil).

Furthermore, I have reason to suspect, a number of the combustions were formed by Marehan offshoots.

And Marehan, my brothers and sisters, may actually predate "Somali." 😐

It is shocking---but I think Marehan may have started as the aspect of Aksum/Dmt that accepted Islam.
  • Along with that, I imagine the Marehan Somalis today are only 1/3 of those Marehan---who because of strife, religious conflict naturally got separated.
  • Furthermore I think another third 1/3 are probably derivatives of the Bani Amir of Eritrea who form the bulk of the Beja in Eritrea as well as form a sizable half of all Tigre speakers (not Tigrinya speakers from Tigray) on the former Semhar coast (Bur to Baharnagash}.
    • The Bani Amir are also known as the Amanrar/Amarar anecdotally evocative of the Rida-Amir, forming the majority of Marehan Somalis, are also known as Amaanreer.
  • The last 1/3 of those originally Marehan made the foundations of a number of Somali clans including the Darod as a whole I believe. They also have fused into neighboring Cushitic groups like the Silte of Gurage, the Assamarrah of Afar, and the Warrahiman Afran Qallo/Warrajelu Yejju of Oromo.
I should stop here and say it's not only Marehan with links to Eritea or Muslim off shoots. For example, the "T" Haplogroup carriers among the Somalis oddly seem to also be the people oddly sharing similar cultural names with the Saho-Bilen of Eritrea for example (don't want to get involved in this but you can look it up).

To go back to Eritrea/Marehan
  • In Akele Guzai of Eritrea, there is a famous mountain where people went into for Important deliberations. It is called Hinbari or "Look to Fortune"
    • Marehan are called rer Hodanbari "Prosperous Morning"
  • There is also the long important river vital to the region. It is called Wadi Mareeb.
    • The Marehan homeland in Central SomaIia are called Dhusa Mareeb (Dhuusa btw actually means "to remove the Myrrh/Frankincense from the tree, later became synonymous with anything removed from a whole like flatulence)
  • The old chieftain were called Ag'azi which is the title the Akzumites who embraced Islam took on. Ag'azi is preceded by Goyta.Ag'azi is phonetically and meaning similar to Ugaas or the Somali Military title for someone who commanded the title.
    • For a long time I have seen the Marehan Ugaas called "Ugaaska Ugaasyada Soomaaliyeed" or "Ugaas Emeritus over the Somali Ugases" and that in a meeting with two or more Ugaas, the Marehan Ugaas always talks first. I never understood this, I thought it was just odd respect from the Kacaan days but I have come across this dhaqan before the Kacaan and recently found out in Somalia this is because "The Marehan Ugaas is recognized as the first Ugaas of that Title". Prior to that Marehan was the only title of Goyta/Guuto of any Somalis according to history.
  • The blood price (diya) in Akele Guzai-Bur Region is called "Gar Naqsi" and "Gar Shire" was the sentencing place (today Shire, Tigray)
    • Again, Marehan chiefly line is called Garshireedle with "eedleh" being a suffix "one who does"... essentially Gar Shire" also Shire is historically, along with Guled, Barre, and Siyaad Marehan origin names according to late HG Somali historian/writter Abdiqadir Aramo
  • Common place names like "Marahani", and "Horissamadaga" which are signifiers of very important moments in Marehan oral history underpinning reasons for migration.
  • And a bunch of other weird cultural, linguistic, and historical similarities along with documented Marehan existence, migration, and participation historically in the area from the Futuh to Ethiopian chronicles.
I mean literally there is so much more.

The point is---there is enough grounds for a historical study of this yet not only has no one studied it, but I have yet to come across anyone who has even discussed these similarities/connections (?) inspiring reasons for study?

I think our history is so much more dynamic and integrated to the wider Horn ("Ethiopian nation") than we have ever realized.

The whole Yemen and Arabian descent mythology has hurt Somalia historiagraphy more than we can yet quantify. How much time was spent on that which would have been more productive researching this!

ReturnOfMariixmaan
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Hard to ignore the link between Marehan origins & Eritrea; Akele Guzai in particular

Postby ReturnOfMariixmaan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:29 pm

Fascinating thread. I always suspected Marehan to precede Darood

mmohamed12

Re: Hard to ignore the link between Marehan origins & Eritrea; Akele Guzai in particular

Postby mmohamed12 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:46 am

*Bear with me for a second: when such a suprise link keeps popping up in investigation, at one point you should go all in and try to comfirm for different perspective.

For quite sometime, I have been sharing with Saddam the most odd trails following Marehan history that keep leading to Eritrea-Sudan.

Very clearly, eastern Cushitic origins is from Sudan; Meroe in fact.

It is groundbreaking but I suspect (cannot prove yet) everything about the Somali ethnic group is more "recent' then assumed.

Somalis as a separate ethnic group are not "1,000" years or older.

There is no "Sheikh Darod from the 10th, 11th,12th century, etc" and no "Sheikh Isaaq from 800 years ago."

Intriguingly, I would estimate first Somali abtirsi system, AT MAX, formed mid-late 18th Century (1750-1800).

The overwhelming majority of Somali abtiris system formed late 19th Century to 20th Century (1880s-2005).

It is most likely the "Ugaas/Sultan/Boqor spontaneous combustions beginning the modern Sultanates of most of Somali geneology---is realy the beginning of the Xeer or Contract that brought them together for mutual assurance (started their qabiil).

Furthermore, I have reason to suspect, a number of the combustions were formed by Marehan offshoots.

And Marehan, my brothers and sisters, may actually predate "Somali." 😐

It is shocking---but I think Marehan may have started as the aspect of Aksum/Dmt that accepted Islam.
  • Along with that, I imagine the Marehan Somalis today are only 1/3 of those Marehan---who because of strife, religious conflict naturally got separated.
  • Furthermore I think another third 1/3 are probably derivatives of the Bani Amir of Eritrea who form the bulk of the Beja in Eritrea as well as form a sizable half of all Tigre speakers (not Tigrinya speakers from Tigray) on the former Semhar coast (Bur to Baharnagash}.
    • The Bani Amir are also known as the Amanrar/Amarar anecdotally evocative of the Rida-Amir, forming the majority of Marehan Somalis, are also known as Amaanreer.
  • The last 1/3 of those originally Marehan made the foundations of a number of Somali clans including the Darod as a whole I believe. They also have fused into neighboring Cushitic groups like the Silte of Gurage, the Assamarrah of Afar, and the Warrahiman Afran Qallo/Warrajelu Yejju of Oromo.
I should stop here and say it's not only Marehan with links to Eritea or Muslim off shoots. For example, the "T" Haplogroup carriers among the Somalis oddly seem to also be the people oddly sharing similar cultural names with the Saho-Bilen of Eritrea for example (don't want to get involved in this but you can look it up).

To go back to Eritrea/Marehan
  • In Akele Guzai of Eritrea, there is a famous mountain where people went into for Important deliberations. It is called Hinbari or "Look to Fortune"
    • Marehan are called rer Hodanbari "Prosperous Morning"
  • There is also the long important river vital to the region. It is called Wadi Mareeb.
    • The Marehan homeland in Central SomaIia are called Dhusa Mareeb (Dhuusa btw actually means "to remove the Myrrh/Frankincense from the tree, later became synonymous with anything removed from a whole like flatulence)
  • The old chieftain were called Ag'azi which is the title the Akzumites who embraced Islam took on. Ag'azi is preceded by Goyta.Ag'azi is phonetically and meaning similar to Ugaas or the Somali Military title for someone who commanded the title.
    • For a long time I have seen the Marehan Ugaas called "Ugaaska Ugaasyada Soomaaliyeed" or "Ugaas Emeritus over the Somali Ugases" and that in a meeting with two or more Ugaas, the Marehan Ugaas always talks first. I never understood this, I thought it was just odd respect from the Kacaan days but I have come across this dhaqan before the Kacaan and recently found out in Somalia this is because "The Marehan Ugaas is recognized as the first Ugaas of that Title". Prior to that Marehan was the only title of Goyta/Guuto of any Somalis according to history.
  • The blood price (diya) in Akele Guzai-Bur Region is called "Gar Naqsi" and "Gar Shire" was the sentencing place (today Shire, Tigray)
    • Again, Marehan chiefly line is called Garshireedle with "eedleh" being a suffix "one who does"... essentially Gar Shire" also Shire is historically, along with Guled, Barre, and Siyaad Marehan origin names according to late HG Somali historian/writter Abdiqadir Aramo
  • Common place names like "Marahani", and "Horissamadaga" which are signifiers of very important moments in Marehan oral history underpinning reasons for migration.
  • And a bunch of other weird cultural, linguistic, and historical similarities along with documented Marehan existence, migration, and participation historically in the area from the Futuh to Ethiopian chronicles.
I mean literally there is so much more.

The point is---there is enough grounds for a historical study of this yet not only has no one studied it, but I have yet to come across anyone who has even discussed these similarities/connections (?) inspiring reasons for study?

I think our history is so much more dynamic and integrated to the wider Horn ("Ethiopian nation") than we have ever realized.

The whole Yemen and Arabian descent mythology has hurt Somalia historiagraphy more than we can yet quantify. How much time was spent on that which would have been more productive researching this!
Are you saying marehan were actually habeshi before Islam came to the horn and migrated from Eritrea this so fascinating walahi I always had this feeling that marehans were aksumites even in our abtiris sounded non somali like radameer through our history marehan is only somali to have goita as a title in their even the name darood is actually dawit they just Somalized the name marehan too

grandpakhalif
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby grandpakhalif » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:01 am

This ia very fascinating no wonder we are blessed ileen King Najaashi was Marehan, destined to rule.

We wuz Kings.

mmohamed12

Postby mmohamed12 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:57 am

This ia very fascinating no wonder we are blessed ileen King Najaashi was Marehan, destined to rule.

We wuz Kings.
majority of marehans are actually habeshis that migrated to harar in the 10th century from Massawa Eritrea regions we are related to saho and agaw in Eritrea and the Tigray Region of Ethiopia and Beja in Sudan and eastern coast of egypt

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:12 am

Ma Shaa Allah this is amazing! So proud :blessed:

WadaniggaBarakaysan
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby WadaniggaBarakaysan » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:15 pm

So in short, Marehan isn't part of the Daarod confederacy?

mmohamed12

Postby mmohamed12 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:04 pm

What are we then are we habeshi or saho

mmohamed12

Postby mmohamed12 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:06 pm

So are we Eritreans originally

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:36 am

We are Somali and we are Darod. What we are is not the study nor the purpose of this topic. Even more importantly, what we are is not in confusion or unclear.

History however and illuminating the past is the purpose and it should be studied and critiqued without distinction or limitation.

Also, I never proved anything. I really just wanted to outline a broad set of circumstances that begs research that I have never seen done before.

Is the Buri Region of Eritrea our ancestral origins as Marehan? 👀

Khalid Ali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Khalid Ali » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:03 am

So marehan is not darood. Oo maxaad ku dhimamaysan markaas. I do believe you guys have some habashi in you. Goiyta afteral theodorus hiiraabo was your ancestor.

Sbashi
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Sbashi » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:07 pm

So marehan is not darood. Oo maxaad ku dhimamaysan markaas. I do believe you guys have some habashi in you. Goiyta afteral theodorus hiiraabo was your ancestor.
Habeshis give names to people they border. It was a name given to him by the shewa amharas. It's pretty dumb to think he is anything but a somali, as it's clearly mentioned he was a cheiftain of a SOMALI tribe. No way someone whose father is habashi can be cheiftain of a somali tribe, or no way a habashi tribe can just be called somali. Let's not be illogical.

WadaniggaBarakaysan
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby WadaniggaBarakaysan » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:50 pm

We are Somali and we are Darod. What we are is not the study nor the purpose of this topic. Even more importantly, what we are is not in confusion or unclear.

History however and illuminating the past is the purpose and it should be studied and critiqued without distinction or limitation.

Also, I never proved anything. I really just wanted to outline a broad set of circumstances that begs research that I have never seen done before.

You're making some very contradicting and nonsensical statements here. You're claiming to be Somali AND Darod. YET, you're saying Marehan predated "Somali" and possibly originated in Eritrea. You can't have it both ways. Either you're Somali and Darod OR you're not Somali nor Darod rather you predated Darod and you originated from some region in Eritrea.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:53 pm

You're making some very contradicting and nonsensical statements here. You're claiming to be Somali AND Darod. YET, you're saying Marehan predated "Somali" and possibly originated in Eritrea. You can't have it both ways. Either you're Somali and Darod OR you're not Somali nor Darod rather you predated Darod and you originated from some region in Eritrea.
Wadani, I have more then once explained my theory that Marehan formed the base of what became a number of our large kinfolk amd neighbors.This includes Darod.

In fact, I have explained before my theory that what we call "Somali" was really formed by 5 groups; 4 earlier population groups within one large Eastern Cushitic "ethnic group" and a 5th represented by the the Swahili coast of the Benadir that fused with the 4 to create what is today "Somali."

These 4 Cushitic groups found themselves moving slowly east together----natural Evolution drift---separated from the rest of the E Cushitic ethnic group they were part of, and because of this synergy and proximity shared the same changes in the E.Cushitic tongue which became Somali dialect and developed the same cultural responses to their shared move east which came to be Somali culture
  1. Marehan/Muraayah/Murrah/Mara
  2. Gurguure (as known in North/West)
    • Gorgaarte (As known in South/East)
  3. Jiido(as known below the Shabelle River)
    • Jiidle (as known above the Shabelle River
  4. Aweer/Areer
    • Hariir/Gariir/Garre/Gurre (as known in West)
    • Hubeer/Areer/Irir (as known on the Shabelle
    • Hariin/Hoon/Boon (as known on the Jubba)
    • Areen/Riin/Wa-Ribbi/Rendille (known in the far southwest
  5. Swahili Extension into Somalia (Gibil Cad if light pigmented/Gibil Madoow if dark pigmented)
    • Rer Xamar/Rer Baraawe/Rer Marka (based on geography)
    • Shan Gamaas/Reer Maanyo (based on livelihood)
    • Geledi, Bagadi, Tuuni (based on political organization)
-
It is sort of like space science the way the Somali clan system developed;

Star----Fissure/Impact/Strike----Explosion----Flying particles----Land----Elemental attraction----Bonding----Repeat X Times-----New Stars are born or joined

My theory is the first 3 made what Darod, Dir, Nd Hawiye.

Depending on which group was rubbing against which side that neighborhood them and/or were being influenced by neighbors (Oromo, etc) ) or environments (on the sea side vs towards the plains vs on the plateau)----

----or political issues within the clan and even violent conflict----

----fissures and off shoots formed who bonding with similar entities in the same precarious situation (displaced from pack membership) formed new Xeer contracts with each other ("became new qabiils").

WadaniggaBarakaysan
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby WadaniggaBarakaysan » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:59 pm

"Marehan formed the base of what became a number of our large kinfolk amd neighbors.This includes Darod."

That's a very bold statement and a theory. Darod didn't form Marehan is what you're saying, it's the other way around, Marehan created Darod? Is the way I understood from your theory correct? Where do the other "sons" of "Darod" such as Tanade, Kablalah, Owrtable, Ciise fit into your theory? Were they non-existent when Marehan existed?

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.