Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time to understand the story of Mudug; the myth of Dhusamareb/Inequality/Resources/Conflict

Dadka ku dhaqan ama ka imaaday gobolkan

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Time to understand the story of Mudug; the myth of Dhusamareb/Inequality/Resources/Conflict

Postby Gubbet » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:37 am

One of the odd consequences of our past as Somalis without a written record is even we may no longer remember our own subjective, individual histories.

This underpins a lot of mythology, of which Marehan and Dhusamareb is important for this discussion.

Even Marehan believe they "lost" a Dhusamareb.

Nobódy in Mudug remembers anymore what "Gelinsoor" is.

And hardly anyone bothers to observe and question why all the pastoralist fights in Mudug is about going west or for that matter, why 90% of Mudug's main settlements are on the Western side.

If you can't even see a problem, how can you fix it?

In this topic, we will learn about the story of Mudug.

barbarossa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Time to understand the story of Mudug; the myth of Dhusamareb/Inequality/Resources/Conflict

Postby barbarossa » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:40 am

Over the years, a course of necessitous circumstances, though they could not entirely subdue the courage and spirit of the bellicose ilkoyar clan, had some effect in diminishing considerably the size of territory under its dominion. Existing historical records indicate, as recent as hundred years ago, all the following regions belonged, exclusively, to beesha barakeysan: Mudug, Galgaduud, Doolo, Sool, Lower Juba.

Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Time to understand the story of Mudug; the myth of Dhusamareb/Inequality/Resources/Conflict

Postby Gubbet » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:21 pm

Is this your entire purpose on the forum?

Troll, spoil, and derail. Provide nothing of value, even little information we can possibly learn from you, yet unable to escape your unrequired and really counter-productive attention.

As a matter of courtesy, please give me a wide latitude considering I do not respect nor appreciate your interaction with me in this space.

Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gubbet » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:00 pm

1. The clan boundaries have stayed almost completely the same since 1899 and the Galti migration.

If you notice people like Kees and Mahadalla love to give the perception of land receding clan wise.

This is the point behind maps like this one made by Kees;

and topics like "building a well in Dibira near Caabudwaaq/Ethiopian border" by Mahadalla.

However, since the Galti migration, the boundary has stayed almost completely the same.

These are 3 maps between 1890 and 1940's by the British War Office, Italian military, and travelor Robecchi Brichetti.

We will get back to explaining this, but for now, here are the maps.

barbarossa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby barbarossa » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:33 pm

Troll, spoil, and derail. Provide nothing of value, even little information we can possibly learn from you, yet unable to escape your unrequired and really counter-productive attention.

As a matter of courtesy, please give me a wide latitude considering I do not respect nor appreciate your interaction with me in this space.
I congratulate you, most learned Sir, on this display of encyclopedic erudition in matters qabiil in nature. But, having said that, would you, kindly, do us all a favor by sparing us the insufferable volumes of your daily matag.

Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gubbet » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:51 pm

I congratulate you, most learned Sir, on this display of encyclopedic erudition in matters qabiil in nature. But, having said that, would you, kindly, do us all a favor by sparing us the insufferable volumes of your daily matag.
Are you frigging serious dude?

You are in my topic in the GEDO section of a public discussion forum on the world wide web.

That fact that even has to be explained to you is intolerable.

The rational, objective response to your problem is to ignore not harass me as you have been doing for as long as I can remember in an attempt to attack and silence my free expression.

Again, your interaction with me has caused me not to appreciate nor respect any engagement between us, please give me a wide berth as I do you. Hell, put me on your ignore list.

Thank you.

Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gubbet » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:08 pm

2. Population Density and Settlement.

So again, I am not going to expand on this right now, but following the community boundaries, I want to go ahead and present the general population density and settlements.

Becausr population estimates in Somalia are controversial, I am presenting density with settlements to reinforce a general picture or outline supported by most authorities on Somali population estimates.

I am also going to use two different eras, with population density from the most cited of recent estimates (UNDP 2000) and for settlements I will post from exactly 1960 in a malaria field study.

For settlements, it is important to show they have not been biased by Somali governments development schemes but actually show the same settlements existing today organically formed due to human reasons.

1. Population Density

The line for population density is a perimeter/boundary line between dífferent clusters (low density is separated from high density}

2. Population Settlement

The line for population settlements is the slope in XY graph (towns/village dots are the intercepts)

grandpakhalif
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby grandpakhalif » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:09 am

Is it true MSB was to blame for destroying the Tomelessi line that delineated the HG and Marehan pastoral border in Mudug? I heard this narrative from many of the elders in Cabudwaaq that his free range policy effectively worked against Beesha Sade and caused the Dhuusomareeb quagmire. Italians strictly enforced it. What are your thoughts?

Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gubbet » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:29 am

Grandpa-

I love you like a brother and meeting you in Xamar completely reoriented our relationship as we both got to see the real us, so if anything that follows sounds sharp or biting, you knowy intention is the opposite, however;

1. This topic is about understanding. I don't really want to make a judgement call or critique anything or take a partisan position or argue for/against any community position. It is to understand the issue in Mudug holistically as in big picture.

2. When I finally understood it, it actually made me personally change my views against "clan" orientied settlement/segregation. Like literally there shouldn't be Clan X grazing zone. There shouldn't be a "Marehan" or "Darod" side of the road and a "HG" or " Hawiye" side of the road.

3. So because of my views in #2, I would not br critical of Siad Barre in that Marehan complaint. Furthermore, Siad was the President of Somalia not Marehan so Marehan are inappropriate for even thinking from that perspective.

But of course, I have only brought up l0% of what understanding the Mudug issue is so allow me to get through the understanding and then we can discuss what this means.

Kees70
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Kees70 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:57 am

Sxbyaal Voltage iyo co, the past is the past today we are one family under 1 state Galmudug and I say family not with a loose tongue but because of the reality on the ground, by example look at how Kablalax led Jubaland who is closer to you in kinship is treating you folks and than look at HG Galmudug how it's treating you, in fact we HG have been nothing but brotherly and warmly to Beesha marexaan.

Voltage the map I posted was purely for the sake of FKD, now and than I like to start FKDs so never take it seriously, walahi we HG never did we or will we ever have cuqdad it's not in our nature.

So anyway let's make use of this thread and talk about how we can corporate the troublesome wagardhac back into the family Galmudug and how the maamul should once and for all bring everyone together and address their grievance because in the end we all want the same thing and that's a peaceful life and development for our successful state Galmudug.

Peace out y'all.

grandpakhalif
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby grandpakhalif » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:38 am

Grandpa-

I love you like a brother and meeting you in Xamar completely reoriented our relationship as we both got to see the real us, so if anything that follows sounds sharp or biting, you knowy intention is the opposite, however;

1. This topic is about understanding. I don't really want to make a judgement call or critique anything or take a partisan position or argue for/against any community position. It is to understand the issue in Mudug holistically as in big picture.

2. When I finally understood it, it actually made me personally change my views against "clan" orientied settlement/segregation. Like literally there shouldn't be Clan X grazing zone. There shouldn't be a "Marehan" or "Darod" side of the road and a "HG" or " Hawiye" side of the road.

3. So because of my views in #2, I would not br critical of Siad Barre in that Marehan complaint. Furthermore, Siad was the President of Somalia not Marehan so Marehan are inappropriate for even thinking from that perspective.

But of course, I have only brought up l0% of what understanding the Mudug issue is so allow me to get through the understanding and then we can discuss what this means.
Absolutely you are correct I was just interested in your perspective dhulka Ilaahi wa lo simanyahay. May Allah fully integrate these warring clans and place peace and love between their hearts. The Mudug cowboy mindset may take decades to change but the proper formation of Galmudug and true reconciliation can only bring barwaaqo to the region. Absolutely MSB AUN was vindicated as clannish thinking has lead us to our poor state today.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.