Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I am going to Ethiopia x2.

Dadka ku dhaqan ama ka imaaday gobolkan

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

I am going to Ethiopia x2.

Postby Gubbet » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:06 am

Since the other topic was hijacked by the Queen of Toxicity, I will restart it here;

-My itinerary is finished
-It will be a 6 month journey
-I hope to get my hands into the academic historiography of Northwest Horn of Africa.
-I want to peruse the record, feel the history, and smell in the dust.
-I don't have an actual subject title; this is immersion
-Out of it perhaps will come a discovery; at the least will come something that forms a thesis

I will be heading out in couple weeks. :clap:

Turbulence
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: I am going to Ethiopia x2.

Postby Turbulence » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:27 pm

Good luck with your trip Voltage. Ethiopia is a beautiful country and I enjoyed my time there a few years ago. Hawassa, the capital of the newly formed Sidama region was my favorite. Shashamane is nice too. They have a sizeable Rastafarian community there.

Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gubbet » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:30 pm

Good luck with your trip Voltage. Ethiopia is a beautiful country and I enjoyed my time there a few years ago. Hawassa, the capital of the newly formed Sidama region was my favorite. Shashamane is nice too. They have a sizeable Rastafarian community there.
When did you go there and why didn't you share? Admittedly, Ethiopia was much safer then so I suppose you did not have to deal with the head ache I am facing with security.

Shashamane is out of the question or any place that is ground zero for hundreds of years of Oromo vs. Amhara grudges facing each other street by street.

Sidama or southern highlands is also out of the question (see Oromo vs. Amhara).

So far I have Addis Nazaret/Adama to Bahir Dar, to Dirir Dhaba to Harar to Jigjiga corridor.

This is sort of like an immersion period in between before I come back and start a professional academic program.

That is why I go as is, without even a particular topic or subject, and without any academic sponsorship, entirely out of my own pockets. I want to make extensive academic and research network that would be beneficial or even important to future research projects.

I was hesitant about doing it for quite some time even though I wanted to, but the past year and half has been incredible.

A lot of things have materialized that I wouldn't risk before and it has brought a lot of incredible permanent change.

To think I am just randomly going on a sabbatical to Ethiopia for 6 months for no reason other than academic historical interest without a single soul I know in front of me! I have goosebumps just writing about this and it's not because I finally got the 1st of the Covid shots today in preparation for the trip!😂

Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gubbet » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:38 pm

Also, any advice or suggestion, no matter how big or small is welcome man. Send anything my way, it's hot out there now although completely safe from all judgements.

Thecoolguysomali
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Thecoolguysomali » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:41 am

Also, any advice or suggestion, no matter how big or small is welcome man. Send anything my way, it's hot out there now although completely safe from all judgements.
Please how old are you?

Gubbet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gubbet » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:56 am

Please how old are you?
You asked so nicely, it makes me conscious of even coming across rude to you. [Side Note: It is sort of ironic when you realize the people that despise me from this forum are people who have absolutely failed to honor respect and goodwill and so have nobody to blame but themselves when my fangs were bared] The truth is my age or age group or how tall I am or even allegedly what I look like have been public, uncontested knowledge even from me.

With that said, I despise anything that directly personalizes discussion beyond what the contributor has established as acceptable. Please do not ask me any personal questions of any direct kind brother. You will understand my position I would hope seeing how the 1st topic was ultimately destroyed by venom which seems obsessed with me.

However, considering how you asked, if you are asking the question to inform something about yourself ( for example; if this is something you would like to do, but it seems daunting or difficult to put together), if you are in your early or even even mid 20's , I don't think I could have done it at that time.

For example, as much as I love history, for some reason I did not pursue it academically. It wasn't even my undergrad.

And throughout then and after, I was corporate, somewhat of a party boy, and was not good about saving or interested in more than me to be honest .

Today I am in a totally different place and I have pretty much committed to something that has me being a life long learner.

If this was perhaps the intention behind the question and you may be looking for inspiration, example, or introspection shoot me a PM if you like and we can talk more privately about any or more of this.

The only reason why I even say that is because oddly, and I was not expecting it at all, but I already got a PM message from member I had never chatted with who read this topic and was inspired by it. Wallahi it just made this whole topic worth it. It is the greatest thing you can possibly be; to be of service and to help another younger Somali brother realize his love of learning just by sharing experiences and possibly contributing something that ends up also factoring into their choices

So if that was the point, shoot me a PM.

If not, let's just keep it as strictly impersonal as I have voluntarily chosen to keep it at.

Turbulence
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Turbulence » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:14 pm

Get your visa stuff straight before you get there. I don't know how long you intend to stay there but getting it renewed can be quite annoying.

grandpakhalif
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby grandpakhalif » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:16 pm

Voltage Im worried for you Ethiopia is very volatile right now and youd be safer in Somalia. Unless your staying in Galbeed please be careful the current situation can escalate at any moment

SultanOrder

Postby SultanOrder » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:52 pm

V sent hello from HARGEISA. He expanded his Addis Ababa-BahirDar-Diradhaba-Harar-Jigjigga journey to include Hargeisa and Borama. :clap:

He told me to tell Saddam and Murax he will send word soon. :D

Northkil

Postby Northkil » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:35 pm

V sent hello from HARGEISA. He expanded his Addis Ababa-BahirDar-Diradhaba-Harar-Jigjigga journey to include Hargeisa and Borama. :clap:

He told me to tell Saddam and Murax he will send word soon. :D
:up: :up: :up:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.