Qaybtan waxaa loogu talagalay dadka wax ku qora luqada Soomaaliga. " /> Patriotism - SomaliNet Forums

Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Patriotism

Afka hooyo :) Qaybtan waxaa loogu talagalay dadka wax ku qora luqada Soomaaliga.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
eliteSomali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Patriotism

Postby eliteSomali » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:38 am

Is it a virtue? Are you born with the love you hold for your country or is it something you develop over the years. What comes to your mind when someone says something "fuck somalia they're responsible for this" or the most commonly used "somaliya waay u dhamaatay khalaas" The other day at school we had a celebration held for africans to promote their traditions and culture. Guess who makes up more than half of the africans that go there? Somalis and guess the only people that did not attend the festival? Somalis! NO A SINGLE ONE. Calankana meesha ma yaalin. I had to go home, rip the flag of my wall and decorate it next to the other african flags. Overall I counted 17 flags there and ours wasn't one. The whole time at the celebration venue, I was asking myself the same question along with other questions. Afterwards I brought up the discussion to couple friends and since they were so keen to hear it,I unfolded the story on them. Gimmie your thoughts on this because this is a question that's worthy of an extensive discourse.

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Patriotism

Postby Alphanumeric » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:31 am

what would i have to be proud of? i didn't choose the place of my birth. be proud of colonial lines that have caused bloodshed and continue to divide us? a flag that was designed after the UN's? or a flag that represents separation and division?

a culture, language, people, history, and tradition, perhaps. but a nation? no, never. nations are simply areas of government jurisdiction, that is all.

eliteSomali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby eliteSomali » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:26 pm

what would i have to be proud of? i didn't choose the place of my birth. be proud of colonial lines that have caused bloodshed and continue to divide us? a flag that was designed after the UN's? or a flag that represents separation and division?

a culture, language, people, history, and tradition, perhaps. but a nation? no, never. nations are simply areas of government jurisdiction, that is all.
I am not sure you get me at all. What division do you speak of? At this point I am ignoring all those little states with their "semi autonomy" and shyt. I am focusing on Somalia as a whole. OR would you rather have a boarderless lands accross all of africa or perhaps even a boarderless earth where you're able to permeate freely from land to land? Even if you wanted to would that even be possible. Where does the culture, tradition, language and etc.. that you'd rather be proud of come from? Truth is every culture and people tend to favor to live amongst their kin and we're just doing that. Furthermore, animals mark their territory can you say the same for them? Were they colonized as well because I don't get where you're going with this.

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:01 pm

bro, look at this forum and then try to suggest there arent divisions between people who share culture and language, along national lines. not everyone is accepting of every flag. somalia as a whole doesn't exist and there is no recognized flag for it. i wonder which flag you felt that represented it?

a borderless earth seems unfeasible. european nations are divided mainly along cultural faults. that would seem most appropriate, if nations are a must. but community outweighs nations. if it were up to me, every somali group would be given autonomy as cantons of a larger whole, governed through an assembly council.

the point on colonization is reflective of the most prominent nationalist divisions amongst ourselves.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.