Qaybtan waxaa loogu talagalay dadka wax ku qora luqada Soomaaliga. " /> Somalis harness solar energy to fight diversification - SomaliNet Forums

Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somalis harness solar energy to fight diversification

Afka hooyo :) Qaybtan waxaa loogu talagalay dadka wax ku qora luqada Soomaaliga.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Brobaganda
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: Praying for world peace because the violence affects mothers and kids the most

Somalis harness solar energy to fight diversification

Postby Brobaganda » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:46 am

Dozens of families in Mogadishu and Borama are starting to take advantage of solar energy instead of using charcoal, petroleum or natural gas to cook food and heat water.

Muna Abdikadir Muhiyadin, 27, said she brought about 50 solar cookers with her from Stockholm, Sweden, to sell in Mogadishu.

"Using solar energy to heat water or cook food is good for the environment and is great for fighting desertification [caused from] people cutting down trees and burning forests," she told Sabahi.

The solar cookers are made of several mirrored panels set together to look like a satellite dish. These panels focus sunlight at the centre of the appliance enabling it to heat a cooking pot or an oven.

Muhiyadin said some of her friends have also started businesses buying solar cookers from China and transporting them from Mogadishu to be sold in Borama, capital of Awdal region in north-western Somalia. She said they are thinking of bringing this service to other Somali towns and cities, including Hargeisa, Kismayo, Baidoa, Beledweyne and Bosaso.

The solar cookers can produce heat up to 200 degrees Celsius and can be used to prepare all types of foods, including vegetables, meat, chicken, fish, rice and bread, among others, Muhiyadin said.

"Prices vary based on demand and they offer various cooking methods, such as steaming and boiling," she said.

Somalis are starting to embrace the technology for use at home and in businesses.

Anab Daud, a resident of Mogadishu's Hamar Weyne district, said she has not been able to buy solar cooker because demand has outpaced supply.

"I am looking forward to buying one if they are on the market again because they are environmentally friendly and non-hazardous," she told Sabahi, adding that solar cookers are easier and faster to use.

"I saw my friend making food using a solar cooker," she said. "I used to see her kitchen fill with smoke and she would sweat profusely. It was hard for her to control the flame [using charcoal] so she could not control the amount of time it took her to cook the food."

Aweys Rage Siad, 56, who recently returned to Somalia from the United States, said he would like to see businessmen open cafes and restaurants using solar energy instead of polluting fuels.

"Using firewood in urban and rural areas has caused desertification and drought," he told Sabahi. "As a result, wild animals have fled the [once] green Somali forests for Kenya."

The Somali government and local administrations have worked to fight the practice of harvesting charcoal from Somali forests, as it causes the destruction of pasture for animals, increases the prevalence of floods, and makes the land unsuitable for agriculture. In addition, charcoal has been a major industry for al-Shabaab.

Lul Shire Abdi, an energy expert in Mogadishu, said Somali citizens should take advantage of solar energy or other alternative fuels, instead of chopping down trees and burning forests.

She told Sabahi that the energy emitted from the sun can also be harnessed using solar panels to operate pumps, fans, lighting, water heating and air conditioning.

"This is a good test to see if we can be self-sufficient and do without charcoal, oil, gas and other resources if solar energy is finally adopted," she said.

original dervish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Somalis harness solar energy to fight diversification

Postby original dervish » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:54 am

good article but when can I get my house back? :?

Brobaganda
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: Praying for world peace because the violence affects mothers and kids the most

Postby Brobaganda » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:15 am

You're never getting it back. I will make sure you never enter that city or any of the clan's lands for matter. Do you understand me? You will be shot between the eyes if I hear such a disgusting request ever again. I dare you to even think about going on expedia.com and booking tickets to Xamar. Those houses are property of the HAG and it's people. You have a better chance of you single handily conquering Europe than getting back your house you most likely got through illegitimate means (BOOLI QARAN).

Focus on Las Anod, Somaliland :clap:

I joke, I joke. You can talk to municipal officials to claim re-ownership of your home if it was obtained legally and halal. I understand Al-Shabab, when controlling Xamar, was giving back people's houses when they came to them with their property papers. HAG officials have made it their priority in reuniting homes with their proper owners who've obtained it in a halal way

original dervish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby original dervish » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:22 am

Man that was deep....... actually we`re from K-I-S-M-A-Y-O hag free zone :D :som: :up:

Brobaganda
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Brobaganda » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:37 am

You know what's funny..... you will never enter Kismayo.... ever. Your ass belongs in Las Anod. Why do you run away from Las Anod? Why don't you claim it? It's a nice, picturesque town. I have some pictures of the city somewhere in my house... maybe I will upload it for you. Maybe you'll recognize my ayeyo and the townspeople in the pictures. It is a small town after all :clap:

:stylin:

GIJaamac
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby GIJaamac » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:49 am

:blessed: Once again reer muqdisho have outdone themselves. I predict Muqdisho will go full solar in three years insha allah. :clap:

Oba
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Oba » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:55 am

Original Dhiii,lo did you even had a house in xamar abahiis wase yahow :arrow:

Oba
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Oba » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:56 am

You're never getting it back. I will make sure you never enter that city or any of the clan's lands for matter. Do you understand me? You will be shot between the eyes if I hear such a disgusting request ever again. I dare you to even think about going on expedia.com and booking tickets to Xamar. Those houses are property of the HAG and it's people. You have a better chance of you single handily conquering Europe than getting back your house you most likely got through illegitimate means (BOOLI QARAN).

Focus on Las Anod, Somaliland :clap:

I joke, I joke. You can talk to municipal officials to claim re-ownership of your home if it was obtained legally and halal. I understand Al-Shabab, when controlling Xamar, was giving back people's houses when they came to them with their property papers. HAG officials have made it their priority in reuniting homes with their proper owners who've obtained it in a halal way
:ooh: :russ:

ofafrique
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: Preaching Pan-Somalism throughout the corridors of your city.

Postby ofafrique » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:02 am

:stylin:

Next level shid.

original dervish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby original dervish » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:20 am

Nugaal will forever be home for us.....Kismayo will be a southern stronghold for beesha. :D :som: :up:

hiloowe....your still a pussyboy :lol:

Oba
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Oba » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:13 am

Nugaal will forever be home for us.....Kismayo will be a southern stronghold for beesha. :D :som: :up:

hiloowe....your still a pussyboy :lol:
looool nicca is that all you got :pac:

original dervish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby original dervish » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:26 am

Kismayo is what I got you piece of HAG......... :D :som: :up:

Oba
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Oba » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:41 am

Kismayo is what I got you piece of HAG......... :D :som: :up:
:dead:

nigga stop living in a dream and free your regions from SL badow yaho :lol:

TeAmo
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: STOMP STOMP STOMP was the noise the fat little troll made.

Postby TeAmo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:42 am

All these niggas claiming to be from xamar and supposedly having a house there :arrow: if you were a real Mogadishuian you would know how to get your property back by now. Nearly everyone got their property back.

Secondly shut the hell up with this Jubbaland BS your ass is from Las Anod where the isaqs occupy and rule you guys by force. Forever talking about Kismayo when you need to free yourself down north first. How can you talk about Hawiyes when you can't even free yourself from isaqs out of all people? Lord give you a brain :blessed:

DANGIRL
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby DANGIRL » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:54 am

Anyone who owned a house or two feels your pain brah, but don't worry about it. Kismaayo is waiting for you. :blessed:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.