http://somalinet.com/forum/groupcp.php?g=605">join</a>. Send PM to the <a href="http://somalinet.com/forum/privmsg.php? ... 711">Group Moderator</a> " /> What Our Scholars Said About Debate - SomaliNet Forums

Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What Our Scholars Said About Debate

Private - This forum is for Islamic education. contributors and anyone who wants to learn about Islam is encouraged to <a href="http://somalinet.com/forum/groupcp.php?g=605">join</a>. Send PM to the <a href="http://somalinet.com/forum/privmsg.php? ... 711">Group Moderator</a>

Moderator: Junior Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Aiman
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Aiman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:16 pm

Asalaamu Caleykum Waraxmatullaahi Wabarakaatuh my dear respected brothers & sisters in Islam

Bacadu Salaam,

Shaykh Saleh Abdullah bin Humaid
Excerpted from "Islamic Principles and Rules of Debate"
© Al-Manara 1994
http://islaam.com//Article.aspx?id=661

"A debate is only justified to unveil truth, so that the more knowledgeable should impart knowledge to the less knowledgeable, and to stimulate a weaker intellect." - adh-Dhahabi

"I never talked with someone but sincerely wished that Allah guard him, protect him from sin and misdeed, and guide him; and I never debated with someone but sincerely wished that we would come upon truth, regardless of whether he or I should be the one to think of it first." - Imam al-Shafi`i

"Cooperation in seeking truth is inherent to religion, but sincerity in the pursuit of truth can be distinguished y certain conditions and signs. A diligent seeker of truth may be compared to one who is looking for his lost camel. It would be immaterial for him if he or another person should be the one to find it. Likewise, a sincere truth-seeker would perceive his partner as a helper rather than an adversary, and would be grateful to him if he should guide him to truth." - Al-Ghazali

If quoting, maintain accuracy; if claiming, provide proof. [An aphorism of Muslim scholars]

"Some scholars used to excuse anyone who disagrees with them in debatable matters, and did not insist that he should accept their view." - Ibn Qudama [Al-Mughni]

"My viewpoint is right, but can be wrong; and my adversary's viewpoint is wrong, but can be right." [An aphorism of Muslim scholars]

"I have never debated with a knowledgeable person but beaten him, and I have never debated with an ignorant person but been beaten by him." - Imam al-Shafi`i

"Let each one of the debaters accept statements of the other party supported with proof. By doing that, he would demonstrate a nobility and self-respect, and he would prove himself to be an acceptor of truth." - Ibn Akeel

"Over-enthusiasm is a mark of corrupted scholars, even when the case they are defending is true. By showing excessive enthusiasm for truth and their contempt of their opponents, the latter would be stimulated to retaliate and react in the same manner. They would be driven to stand for falsehood and to be true to the label attributed to themÂ…If the champions of truth had spoken kindly to them avoiding publicity and humiliation they would have succeeded in winning them over. But as it is, a person who enjoys a place of prestige is strongly inclined to preserve his position by attracting followers, and the only way to that is to boast and to attack or curse adversaries." - Al-Ghazali

"I never debate with someone and he accepts my proof except that I hold him in high esteem, and I never debate with someone and he refuses my proof except that I lose all esteem for him." - Imam al-Shafi`i

"If you sit with scholars, my son, be more interested in listening than in speaking. Learn good listening just as you learn good speaking. Never interrupt a speaker, even if he takes long, until he comes to an end." -Advice of Al-Hasan ibn Ali (radhiallahu `anhu) to his son.

"Learn good listening just as you learn good speaking. To be a good listener, you should give a speaker time until he concludes, not seeming anxious to reply. Have your face and look in the direction of the speaker and try to understand what he says." - Ibn al-Muqaffa`

Wa Billaahi Towfiiq

eyes-only
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: What Our Scholars Said About Debate

Postby eyes-only » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:32 pm

May God guide us all to the truth and give us the patience to listen

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.