Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wilfred Thesiger declares British Jubaland as a Marehan coun

Dadka ku dhaqan ama ka imaaday gobolkan

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Hidden_Treasure

Wilfred Thesiger declares British Jubaland as a Marehan coun

Postby Hidden_Treasure » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:24 am

Here is a letter written in 1917 By the famous explorer and British minister in Ethiopia, Wilfred Thesiger, to the Governor of Sudan General Sir R. Wingate. Basically, he is asking whether they can give Marehan Country (Jubbaland), British Somaliland and French Somaliland to the Italians in return for some conditions.

There are some incomplete parts in the letter but the important part is clear.

"Letter from Wilfred Thesiger British Legation, Addis Ababa, October 11th, 1917 to General Sir R. Wingate.

My dear General, Addis Ababa October llth, 1917 Your letter of the 25th April and mine of the 16th May last concerning the future of Abyssinia and any possible arrangements with Italy and France. In that correspondence we discussed the various combinations possible with Italy, basing our considerations on the necessity of eliminating French influence by the acquisition of Jibuti without any attempt to establish some form of stable Government in Abyssinia must be impossible. As I mentioned in my letter it is hopeless to expect any good result so long as three powers have the right of interference in Abyssinian affairs, altough cooperation between two governments might be possible.

It is very certain that after every effort will be made to clear up contentious questions between us and our present allies, and it has struck me that a fourth His Excellency General Sir Reginald Wingate Governor General of the Sudan. GCB, GCVO, KCMG, DSO, etc. etc.solution might be possible in regards to Abyssinia and Italy which like the other three mentioned in my letter of the 16th May, is based on the primary necessity of acquiring Jibuti without which the whole of the presnt discussion falls to the ground. Briefly stated the fourth proposition would include the cession of the Sudand of Eritrea in return for British Somaliland, French Somaliland and the MAREHAN country, and a protectorate over the whole of Abyssinia. Italy, in return for this, must guarantee to the Sudan all rights over the waters of Tana and the eventual reversion to the Sudan of the four provinces of Gojjam, Walege, Jimma and Kaffs, which are vital to her future prosperity and will then assume all responsibility for the future government of this country. As you mentioned in your letter of the 25th April. "This telegram (of the 27th March) made it clear that His Majesty's Government were anxious arises whether, as regards our future relations with Italy, it would not pay us to make this concession as generous as possible as long as this generosity could be made compatible with thesafeguarding of the interests of each of our Colonies as border on Abyssinia."

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.