Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somali-Kenyans: Sixth Largest of Kenya’s 44 Ethnic Groups

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
EEGA9
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby EEGA9 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:30 am

Thursday, September 02, 2010

The average Kenyan woman is having 4.6 babies, pushing up the country’s population by a million people every year. As a result, the population now stands at 38.6 million nationally, up from 28 million in 1999.

But it is the growth in population of the Somali community, now Kenya’s sixth largest community, that is most noticeable in the results of the 2009 census figure released by Planning Minister Wycliffe Oparanya on Tuesday.

At nearly 2.4 million people, Kenyan Somalis are now classified as more than the Kisii (2.2 million) and the Mijikenda (nearly two million). Census results released by Kenya’s Planning Ministry show Kenyan Somalis are the sixth most populous ethnic group with 2,385,572 people, behind the Kikuyu, Luhya, Kalenjin, Luo and Kamba.

North Eastern Province has grown from 371,391 in 1989 to the present 2.3 million people.The sharp rise in the population of Somalis is due to a high birth rate. The Immigration ministry said it was not due to the influx of refugees from war-torn Somalia, as advanced by some experts. Immigration Minister Otieno Kajwang’ ruled out the influx of refugees saying there were not more than 350,000, most of whom are in refugee camps and were counted.

Source: Daily Nation

EEGA9
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Somali-Kenyans: Sixth Largest of Kenya’s 44 Ethnic Group

Postby EEGA9 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:32 am

Kenyan-Somalis clans were considered Ethnic groups before, so Ogaden,Ajuraan,Degodi would be seperate and only those unclassified were Somalia extremely underestimating the population.Kenyans should realise now Somalis deserve there positions in the Gov.

EEGA9
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby EEGA9 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:36 am

Good piece regarding this.
Why the number of Somalis in Kenya exploded
By Sadik B Abdullahi
Sept 01, 2010

Early this year, rumours had it that the number of Somalis in Kenya have increased substantially. And that the results for the census that was carried last year were cancelled because of this. Actually, this story appeared in one of the tabloids in Kenya - The Star. Now, the results are out; Oparanya officially announced the Kenya Census 2009 results today, 31st August, 2010.

Seems like they are not rumours anymore; the population of Somalis in Kenya which was just under a million in 1999 has more than doubled in just a decade and now stands at about 2.4 million. Is that possible? Yes and no. The new figures for the Somalis would not be possible if you base your analysis on natural growth alone, i.e. the net difference between births and deaths. But, there are many ‘non-natural’ reasons that could increase the population of a community.

Thus the question here is; what could have caused the exponential growth of the Somalis in Kenya? In my opinion there are many reasons underlying this seemingly doubtful growth rate that have nothing to do with immigration. And that the growth rate in essence could be a true reflection of the Somali population in Kenya. Therefore, these reasons include, but are not limited to, the following; changes in method of data collection and analysis, and changes in the pattern of intra-country migration – notably from nomadic to sedentary lifestyles. Other reasons could include inaccuracies, either deliberate or accidental, in the base population from which we found our previous assumptions. If, for example, the earlier census was not properly conducted or the results intentionally distorted, both of these would have an effect on the validity of our base population i.e. 1989, 1999 etc.

I know for sure the method of calculating Somalis in Kenya has changed. This, by sheer happenstance, I came to learn while a student at a certain college in Nairobi when we were given some assignments part of which entailed getting some figures from the census book. A friend of mine, he was a Turkana, decided for some reasons to compare the Somali population in Kenya to his community’s. He was shocked when he realized that the Somalis were indeed much fewer than the Turkanas. When I went back to the library with him, I was stunned too. The Somalis were divided into clans and each clan listed separately. Only a tiny minority were listed as Somalis. I later explained to my friend that the Degodias, Gurres, Ajurans and Ogadens he was seeing were actually Somali clans and not some distinct communities.

Why they decided to enumerate the Somalis in that manner is something that I have never understood. Now, if indeed the ‘Somali’ population, as listed in the 1989 census, was much lower than the Turkanas in Kenya, would the KNBS also be basing their analysis on inaccurate figures? Wasn’t it also easy for the guys behind these evil machinations to push the figures for the Somalis downwards? I have this feeling they not only could do that but they did. Why they did it is something that we would probably need to ponder on, for a long time to come.

Secondly, the Somalis in Kenya are predominantly nomads. We also know that the region mostly inhabited by these people has suffered from perennial drought and famine. This, I know for a fact, pushed many nomads to a sedentary lifestyle. Some of my relatives currently living in Garissa can attest to that. Also, it is only possible for government officials to enumerate settled residents. I thus, do not believe that the census clerks can exhaustively count nomadic tribesmen wandering in the expansive arid northeast, especially, when the census exercise is carried within a relatively short period of time. Therefore, the fact that many people now live in the urban centres in North-Eastern would definitely affect the number of Kenyan Somalis and of course push their numbers upwards.

Thirdly, and slightly related to the previous point is that the enumerators could have done a brilliant job this time round. I have a feeling that with each subsequent census the sophistication of the whole exercise improves. And this would have a positive effect on the census. Therefore, this would most likely increase the population of a community and in this case the Somalis who usually were not counted would effectively be captured by the census clerks.

Fourthly, I have this feeling that someone somewhere has some vendetta against the Somalis. I say this because it was only early this year when we heard that there would be some audit of Somali owned properties in the city. I am convinced that someone, reeling from the failure of the anti terrorism bill fail to go through, wants to pass the same through the backdoor. Thus as Kenyans we need to be careful about this shadowy figures.

Conversely, the argument that immigration, too, has something to do with the increase of the Somalis could be true. And, in the case that this is true then the government should be held responsible for that. How, for example, should Kenyan Somalis be held accountable for the corruption condoned by the government? If any non Kenyan Somali has illegally obtained Kenyan citizenship then I doubt whether their accumulated numbers could exceed a few thousands. Thus, I doubt this last point could substantially increase the number of Somalis.

Lastly, most of the above would also be true for the Turkanas whose numbers have also been questioned. Or, is this some clever way of justifying the imminent downward revision of the number of Somalis in Kenya? By making it appear as though it’s not just Kenyan Somalis they have a problem with? Anyway, I pray that sooner rather than later we will come to bottom of all this.

Sadik B. Abdullahi
Email: sdiq77@gmail.com]

Queen_Arawello
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Queen_Arawello » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:57 am

they're breeding like rabbits :lol: :up:

hargaysaay
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Best part about getting high having sex with you is geting high having sex with you part.

Postby hargaysaay » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:22 pm

Kenyan-Somalis clans were considered Ethnic groups before, so Ogaden,Ajuraan,Degodi would be seperate and only those unclassified were Somalia extremely underestimating the population.Kenyans should realise now Somalis deserve there positions in the Gov.
they should dust there selfs off take the weaopons and fight for their freedom, even if its impossible.

sorry to say this but somali kenyans are lost they are the most useless somalis of all time walaahi

EEGA9
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby EEGA9 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:32 pm

ninyahow aduunkalaad ku nooshahay, Somalidu Kenya ilaa 10-20 sano ee soo socda iyagaa la wareegaya wadanka.Iyagaana xukumaya dadka kalee ku nool dhulkaas.Maantana awood sii kordhaysay ku haystaan.Kenyaatigu waa dad aan sii tartiiba u qabsan doono.Itoopiya waa cadow Somali dhamaan rabta inay maamusho taasna waxay ku salaysantahay iyadoo taariikihiyan soo jireen ahayd cadowtinimadaas.Kenya kuma duulin dhul somaliyeed cadowna kuma aha dadka Somaliyeed.

Useless waxay ku noqdeen fursada malaayin Somaliyeed maanta ka faaiday? Ee dhinac ganacsi, dhinac qaabilaada qaxootinimo iyo dhul ayna ku ahayn Ajinabi u surta galiyay.Itoopiya inay dagaal iyo fitno ka dhex qasdo Somali ma wax kalay u tartaa.

Ta kale Itoopiya dadka wax ma u ogoshahay waa maya? Kenyaatigu waa dad lala shaqeyn karo, sidaa awgeedna Somali buu dhulkaa xukunkiisa ku wareegi.

Lord Diplock
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Lord Diplock » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:44 pm

and half of them are Ogadeen. :lol: :lol: :lol: :up:

Siciid85
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Siciid85 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:37 pm

The Kenya Authorities are questioning the validity of the results.

How North Eastern figures went wrong

William Oeri | NATION Planning and National Development minister Wycliffe Oparanya during the launch of 2009 Kenya Population and Housing Census results at KICC in Nairobi on Tuesday. On Wednesday the minister said officials detected anomalies when enumerators from North Eastern asked for more forms.

The census results for some districts in North Eastern Province have been cancelled and a fresh count ordered after the figures showed its population had risen almost three-fold, from 962,143 in 1999 to 2.3 million last year.

Mr Oparanya said the count was badly conducted after enumerators allowed residents to fill the questionnaires themselves.

The minister said respondents, especially the elderly, refused to answer census questions asked by young enumerators and filled the results on their own, thus compromising the accuracy of the results.

“Most of them refused to be asked questions by our enumerators, saying it was against their culture. They would instead grab the questionnaires and fill them themselves. This led to the inaccuracies,” Mr Oparanya told the Nation.

The population of North Eastern should be 1,394,367 as projected by census officials, said Dr Lawrence Ikamari, the Director of Population Studies at the University of Nairobi.

It is not clear why all the respondents who chose to fill the forms rather than answer questions consistently inflated the sizes of their households. The census questionnaire is a complex, technical document and enumerators have to be trained to fill it.

How elderly people in the depths of North Eastern, where more than 80 per cent of the people are illiterate, were able to understand the questionnaire was another mystery.

Census officials got alarmed when North Eastern residents demanded that a second batch of questionnaires be sent, saying the first one was not enough, the minister revealed.

“We had counted all the households in the province and on the basis of this, took an equal number of forms there. Suddenly, we were told that the forms were not enough so we airlifted more forms there. We started suspecting something was wrong when they asked for extra forms for the third time.”

Population experts are calling for a recount, saying the numbers don’t add up.

“The figures do not conform with the natural population trends. There is a need for the re-evaluation of the fertility and mortality rates as well as migration patterns,” said Dr Ikamari.

A re-evaluation will enable the government to get the true figures and therefore be able to allocate resources in a fair and equitable manner.

According to the Interim Independent Electoral Commission, the province has 232,099 registered voters, only 10 per cent of the total population.

In other provinces, registered voters are normally above 20 per cent of the total population.

But nominated MP Mohammed Affey, who comes from the province, dismissed views that the population in the province was unusually high.

“The population has been understated, the figure could have been much higher if the exercise was done accurately especially in places like Wajir South,” he said.

Experts are particularly puzzled by the big difference between the projected population and the actual population. Population forecasting has become a reasonably accurate science.

In other provinces, the projected population was only slightly higher than the actual number.

Census officials said they detected anomalies in eight districts, five of them in North Eastern, and ordered a recount. They eight include Mandera Central, Mandera East, Mandera West, Lagdera, Wajir East, Turkana Central, Turkana South and Turkana North, the last three in Rift Valley.

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/How%20Nort ... index.html

EEGA9
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby EEGA9 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Jealous Kenyans...worried christians for the most part, scared of the muslim prominence in Kenya especially after the new constitution.This is another blow for them.How can a census be over-estimated by that much :arrow:

Most of the nomad population have not even been accounted for...there has to be a better census conducted to account for all.

udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby udun » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:55 am

Jealous Kenyans...worried christians for the most part, scared of the muslim prominence in Kenya especially after the new constitution.This is another blow for them.How can a census be over-estimated by that much :arrow:

Most of the nomad population have not even been accounted for...there has to be a better census conducted to account for all.
:up: :up:

I am just wondering if the Somalis in other parts of Kenya was counted and then that counted were added to the main one that took place in North Eastern provinces? I asked because there are many Somalis in all of Kenya and I am sure it would add huge number to the already counted number in Northern regions. I have heard before the total number of Kenya-Somalis were 3.5 Million and I am just wondering what happened to that figure?

EEGA9
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby EEGA9 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:01 pm

I am not sure we have to ask Lorddiplock.Somalis from across the border dont usually gain citizenship unless they do some shifty stuff, so most of them are not counted but the Kenyan Somali numbers should be atleast be that figure if not more.If you add all the other Somalis perhaps this number will double.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.