Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dir dawe and the Oromo Population

Siyaasada Soomaali Galbeed

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators, Islam mods

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
St8OuttaDirree
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Re: Dir dawe and the Oromo Population

Postby St8OuttaDirree » Sun May 23, 2010 4:47 am

St8OuttaDirree, who are those oroms in dhire dhaba what are they called? afan oromo?
Afaan Oromo is the language, The Oromos in Dirre are Afraan Qallo = Noolee, Jaarso, Alaa...

Gartay, who are the largest of the three tribes you mentioned of the Afraan Qallo and are they muslim mostly?
Alaa has about 10 subclans
Babille i dunno how many subs......
Oborra dunno
Daggaa subclans Noolee Jaarso and Humee
Noolee is almost as large as alaa as what i heard but i'm not sure.

All 100% muslim

bareento
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: "telling me I am getting dignity by linking myself to Harar?" Wise Words of a Busted poor Sheegatto!

Postby bareento » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:27 am

In Dire Dawa, and mostly in the town and cities, the largest Oromo contingent in East Harerge (ie Afran Qallo clan) are Noolee.
But all in all the biggest clan of Afran Qalloo is Alaa with 12 subclans, followed by Oborraa clans.
Other AQ clans lost many lands and population to the Somalis.

For present day Oromos clan means nothing, many youngsters think Afran Qallo is the name of a music band..
But yet the folklore is still there; old poems clans made against each other are vivid and funny :D

The one between Alaa and Noolee is epic...

B.

Siciid85
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Siciid85 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:13 pm

bareento & St8OuttaDirree, thanks for the details about the oromo clans of dhire dhaba.

Rooble90
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Rooble90 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:02 am

In Dire Dawa, and mostly in the town and cities, the largest Oromo contingent in East Harerge (ie Afran Qallo clan) are Noolee.
But all in all the biggest clan of Afran Qalloo is Alaa with 12 subclans, followed by Oborraa clans.
Other AQ clans lost many lands and population to the Somalis.

For present day Oromos clan means nothing, many youngsters think Afran Qallo is the name of a music band..
But yet the folklore is still there; old poems clans made against each other are vivid and funny :D

The one between Alaa and Noolee is epic...

B.
How Many Major Clans Do Oromo's Have In General ?

bareento
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: "telling me I am getting dignity by linking myself to Harar?" Wise Words of a Busted poor Sheegatto!

Postby bareento » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:10 am

Roble, I am afraid no one knows, the number of clans

One possible classification:
Humbannaa-Itu (Harerge highlands )
Arsi
Wallo
Boran-Guji
Maccaa (West Showa, Walleggaa, Illu Abbaa Boora, Jimmaa regions)
Tulama (Showa)
The first three are known as Bareentuma, and others as Borana.

In ancient times, to be Oromo a clan or a person should belong to one of these tribes (or other defunct tribes like the Orma/Warday)
There r numerous intermingling clans and subclans the exact number and classification on which there is no general agreement.
The problem is , in the past, when a subclan gets powerful, it starts to consider itself as a clan!
Besides tribes are free to admit whoever, non oromo clan, they want and thus become powerful;
those admitted can also renegate and revert back to their ancient identities

Arsi and Macca r the two biggest Oromo tribes, they probably each make close to ten millions (Arsi probably a little less).
Once powerful with kingdoms and Sultanates, Wallo oromos r today the smallest oromo tribe, probably hardly a million
B.

Rooble90
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Rooble90 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:58 pm

Roble, I am afraid no one knows, the number of clans

One possible classification:
Humbannaa-Itu (Harerge highlands )
Arsi
Wallo
Boran-Guji
Maccaa (West Showa, Walleggaa, Illu Abbaa Boora, Jimmaa regions)
Tulama (Showa)
The first three are known as Bareentuma, and others as Borana.

In ancient times, to be Oromo a clan or a person should belong to one of these tribes (or other defunct tribes like the Orma/Warday)
There r numerous intermingling clans and subclans the exact number and classification on which there is no general agreement.
The problem is , in the past, when a subclan gets powerful, it starts to consider itself as a clan!
Besides tribes are free to admit whoever, non oromo clan, they want and thus become powerful;
those admitted can also renegate and revert back to their ancient identities

Arsi and Macca r the two biggest Oromo tribes, they probably each make close to ten millions (Arsi probably a little less).
Once powerful with kingdoms and Sultanates, Wallo oromos r today the smallest oromo tribe, probably hardly a million
B.
So I See You Guys Aren't Like Somalis,
We Are Hardcore To The Bone When It Comes To Our Clans...

We Are Taught Our Lineage At An Early Age...

If Two Somalis Meet, They Always wanna know Which Clan The Other One Comes From....

Siciid85
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Siciid85 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:34 pm

Rooble, i told you Oromos are deep in Dhire dhaba. :geek:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.