Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Qabsaawaa Channel

Qaybta Soomaali Galbeed

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators, Islam mods

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Aliyyi Oromada
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

The Qabsaawaa Channel

Postby Aliyyi Oromada » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:37 pm

الحمد لله والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله وآله وصحبه ومن وآلاه

Assalamu aleykum wR wB,

In Afaan Oromo, the word 'Qabsaawaa' means 'one who struggles'. The Qabsaawaa channel is a news and history channel dedicated to highlighting the identity of the Muslim Oromo, and the stages which their struggle has passed through, including the stories of key figures and personalities who contributed to it throughout history. We hope this channel is beneficial.

Aliyyi Oromada
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Re: The Qabsaawaa Channel

Postby Aliyyi Oromada » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:42 pm

The Story of the Commander Falmataa

A young man born and raised in occupied east Hararge, he grew up hearing the stories of a time his people lived in dignity, as kings in their land. Jaal Falmataa joined the resistance under the banner of Adda Islaama Bilisummaa Oromiyaa (AIBO) or Islamic Front for the Liberation of Oromia, and climbed in rank due to among other things, his devotion to his beliefs and values, deep knowledge of history, and his eloquence in speech. When the regime of Mengistu Haile Mariam collapsed, the IFLO joined the Transitional Government of Ethiopia in order to spread their message to other parts of the country. Among many places Jaal Falmataa attended rallies, was a rally in the town of Jimma in the Summer of 1991 in front of a packed stadium.

Jimma town was the former capital of the Jimma Sultanate, captured by Ethiopia in the late 19th century. The group held similar rallies from its territory in the east, to the far west of the country in Gore, Ilubabor. Fearing the popularity the IFLO was gaining, the EPRDF assassinated key leaders of the group.

On December 12, 1991 one of its members, AbdulRazaq Muhammad, was killed and two others wounded, in Dire Dawa city.

Dr. Faisal Birru, Deputy Chief of the IFLO military wing, was detained in Asfaw Kasa Hotel and was found killed a few days later.

Its Deputy Chairman, Sheikh Abdurahman Yusuf and the Head of the Political Office, Izz ad-din Muhammad Ahmed, were killed and five other members were wounded in a shootout when their vehicle was ambushed by EPRDF militia in Dire Dawa on January 18, 1992.

In response in late January 1992 the IFLO pulled out of the TGE and began a series of retaliatory strikes against the EPRDF, who were an invading and occupying army in Oromo territory. After the IFLO's retaliation began paralyzing TPLF movements in the region, they moved to take the strongholds of the IFLO. In the district of Fadis, the EPRDF column was no match for the mountainous terrain, where they ended up either burnt or captured. The Tigrayan infantry was surrounded and hunted down. In a video release dated May 7, 1992 the remains of the TPLF armoured column in the district of Fadis were displayed by an IFLO unit stationed in the area. In the same release it was shown that further north, the al-Imam Ahmed unit led by Falmata took 3 TPLF officers captive along with their 4x4 and executed the prisoners at Haromaya, on the main highway between Harar and Dirre Dhawa.

A year later, Commander Falmataa recalled the events which took place;

"They hoped that by targeting our leaders that we would disperse in despair. That was their dream. But alhamdulillah, their martyrdom and their fulfillment of their pledge only increased us in Iman. So naturally what came next was war. We depended on our lord. Not on tanks or heavy artillery, but the Almighty Superpower. The Lord of Russia and America. And as you know they could not stand in front of us in battle...Brothers if we depend on Allah with sincerity, just as we humiliated the enemy in battle we will establish an Islamic Republic of Oromiyaa under the banner of Laa Ilaha Ill'Allah, and govern her by Quran and Hadeeth"

Commander Falmataa never saw this Republic materialize, but received much better than that, when his lord took his soul, while he remained patient and determined, at a time when many men were surrendering, or fleeing the country. This is the story of the Commander Falmataa.

Last edited by Aliyyi Oromada on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliyyi Oromada
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Aliyyi Oromada » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:51 pm

The Martyrs of the Battle of Tirro

The battle of Tirro was fought by a group of young commandos from the Hararge region, led by Hassan Ibrahim better known as Elemo Qiltu. Elemo had been trained in the camps of the Palestinian Liberation Organization in Yemen, where he had been living and working. But his mind was always on the oppression faced by his people, and his heart burned with a desire to bring about a change. So after organizing for sometime alongside other prominent leaders of the struggle such as Sh. Abdul Karim Ibrahim (Jaarra) in 1974, he sought to infiltrate his country by boat with a group of men and was successful in doing so. Eventually they reached the Western Hararge region. Many enthusiastic young men joined the group and pledged to fight the regime of Haile Selassie. After an incident where the group killed some tax collectors of the regime, the regime began to follow their movements.

Army reinforcements were sent in to help track their movements. One of the members of the unit, Dhugasa Bakhakko who was just 16 years of age at the time, explained the situation which led to 'The Battle of Tirro' in a Radio interview decades later;
"This was late 1974, it was the harvesting season so it was easy to hide out in the crops...We arrived at a place called Tirro, between the towns of Galamso, Bookhe and Badheesa. Three men had recently joined us and they were not accustomed to moving long distances on foot. These men were Sheikh Jamal, Ahmed Taqi, who had just arrived from the city, and Colonel Mahdi. He was a Colonel in Somalia (who abandoned his post to join the group), but he was from the Qallu (clan) of Dadar (district, East Hararge). They were exhausted and could not climb the mountain so we left them at a place we trusted to be safe at the bottom of the mountain to spend the night. At dawn we went down to wake them up. We discovered that the government militia had followed us and arrived from the 3 neighbouring towns and had the area surrounded... So we engaged them and a battle took place. From what we heard 83 enemy soldiers were killed, this number included locals who cooperated with them, and the wounded brought their casualties to over 100. From our side, the 3 men I had mentioned were killed (by the militia) before we could reach them. Until noon we repelled the police and militia. They called for Army reinforcements which arrived at noon bringing with them heavy weaponry. They began shelling the mountain and its surroundings. Hassan had been wounded in the abdomen in the morning clashes, so he wrapped it up with his clothing and continued fighting from the ground in the crop field, while sitting. Eventually the army surrounded & ordered him to surrender, so he told them to come and pick him up (since he could not move). Understanding that he had surrendered, a group of 5 soldiers went to where he was sitting. Hassan had a grenade with him, and when they reached him he exploded it, killing all 5 soldiers along with himself. Another was a boy named Sulayman who was shooting down at the enemy from the mountain. He ran out of bullets, but saved one for himself to avoid capture. Another of our men, Ahmed Kahin, he was Sheikhash (a Somali tribe) from Daro Labu district. He fought until his arm was shattered and he was captured. At sunset the remainder of us broke the encirclement and escaped."

Hassan Ibrahim “Elemo”

bareento
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: "telling me I am getting dignity by linking myself to Harar?" Wise Words of a Busted poor Sheegatto!

Postby bareento » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:31 am

thnk u aliyyi :up:

B.

Aliyyi Oromada
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Aliyyi Oromada » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:14 pm

This next article was written by the brothers at Bariisa.com

Hussein Bunee (The Lion of Waabee) may Allah have mercy on him
Hussein Bunee belongs to the last generation of traditional patriotic revolutionary leaders of the struggle of the Oromo people.

In the sixties and seventies he led the armed struggle in eastern Bale with his brother Mahmud Bunee, effectively pinning Ethiopian army units down in many fronts for years, at the same time as the two Waaqoos battled with whole army divisions in the south.

Hussein Bunee was throughout his life not only a man of action and bravery but also of immense natural wisdom. His ability of reconciling a wide variety of views, often accommodating lot of differences in matters of political and military strategy, made him extremely popular among ordinary fighters. His kind treatment of the non-combatant civilian population was exemplary and unforgettable. He ate and slept on the ground with his fighters, never distinguishing himself from them. Jaarra knows him in the field better and is more qualified than myself to talk about him.

It is unfortunate that the names of such great patriots as Hussein Bunee and Waqoo are loaded with military ranks, giving the impression that many Oromo heroes belonged to military establishments, with wrong implications. Among us there are certainly those who rejoice in giving this wrong impression to cover up part of our reality. Others do parrot only what they heard without thinking for themselves. The military rank is true only of General Taddesse Birru versus the Gobanas. I will put them rather alongside, for example, Elemoo Qilxuu , Mahdi or, among the living, Jaarraa, as people’s patriots of revolutionary character without any official ranks, having nothing to do with any state institutions. Haji Ishaq Daadhi can also be remembered in this context along many others as an Oromo patriot who challenged the regime. This fits their genuine historical roles better. It is also part of our historical and political reality. Genuine Oromos, especially Moslems, had never any part or say in the Abyssinian military establishment. Most Oromo generals in the military were and still are, in my opinion, Gobanites, without exaggeration, traitors. By the way I never cease to admire Jaarraa for refusing to join the Institution of the so-called transitional Woyane government, even though the Islamic Front had three chairs in the parliament at the time.

I met Hussein Bunee often in Finfinne from 1991 till 1995 before I left Ethiopia the last time. With the Islamic Front no more in picture, in the parliament, Hussein Bunee remained most of the time in the capital, living in relative poverty. The truth is at times very bitter but it must be swallowed whole, and be, above all, told. I mention this as a reminder of how little our people are practically organized and have no friends in the world so that nobody could take care even of our heroes when they needed help most. When it comes to lip service all of us are nationalists and even revolutionaries.
[his brother] Mahmud Bunee died in complete isolation in 1994, taken ill in Woyane concentration military camp in Bale. Now that Hussein Bunee is dead it is safe for everyone to talk a lot about him.

Aliyyi Oromada
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Aliyyi Oromada » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:17 pm

(Madda Oduu ABO/MOA/Sadaasa 30,2010) Harargee dhihaa magaalaa Baddeeysaa keessatti ergamtooti wayyaanee polisoota Federaalaa ta’an ummata dararaa turan 2 humna addaa WBOttin tarkaanfiin Ajjeechaa irratti fudhatame.

Sababa kana irraa ka’uun, yeroo ammaa guutuu Harargee keeysatti Sadarkaa Goodinaa irraa kaasee hanga Araddaalee jiran hundaatti, maqaa Caasaalee mootummaa Haaromsina jedhuun gaafa 27-11-2010 irraa kaasee walgahii addaan hin cinneen ummata dhamaasaa jiran.

Kana malees magaalaa Mi'eeysoo irraa hanga Magaalaa Qullubbii jidduutti poolisoota federaalaa hiriirsuun karaa fi magaalaa keeysatti sakattaa bal'aadhaan ummata hiraarsaa jiran.
(News) Nov. 30/ 2010
In Western Harargee in the town of Badheeysa, 2 Federal Police officers harassing locals were gunned down. OLA claims responsibility.

Aliyyi Oromada
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Aliyyi Oromada » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:36 am

The Commander Buruysoo Boruu

Known by his nom de geurre, Buruysoo Boruu was a veteran OLF commander in east Hararge, active throughout 1980’s and 1990’s. After the fall of the derg he spent much of his time travelling throughout the province overseeing training in the OLF administered areas, and fighting with the EPRDF which started immediately after the EPRDF’s arrival in the Hararge region in late 1991. His fighters were in charge of controlling the major highway which ran from the capital Finfinne/Addis Ababa through the east of the country. The TPLF/EPRDF was desperate to gain control of this highway, which was the main line of communication in the east, but was unable to do so for a year. And they would have not have been able to do so without the betrayal of the OLF leadership. The OLF leadership led by the chief negotiator & vice chair-man Leencho Lata, born to a Christian family in the west of the country and an ideological Marxist, signed a deal with the EPRDF brokered by the United States, which agreed to pull all OLF fighters away the major highways and back into their garrisons. The US chief broker secretary Herman Cohen promised the OLF delegation that the EPRDF would not attack its garrisons and the OLF complied. The leadership justified this to its members as an effort to keep the EPRDF from spoiling the upcoming regional elections. The EPRDF plan was likely to escalate the conflict in order to postpone the vote, which the OLF was likely going to win.

In June 1992 the EPRDF broke its agreement and attacked the OLF garrisons, dealing the OLF a major military blow. The leadership situated in the capital, which had negotiated the deal, fled the country abandoning the armed wing to its fate. Many fighters were killed and captured, while many escaped and among them was the Commander Buruysoo. Buruysoo, alongside other commanders such as Tuuji Raggaasa were among those who took the responsibility of rebuilding the organization after the betrayal of those whom they called leaders. Buruysoo reorganized the OLA and immediately began retaliatory strikes at EPRDF military installations in East Hararge. Among one of his achievements was that he established an urban insurgency In Dirre Dhawa town, organizing a series of kidnappings and assassinations of EPRDF officers and cadres based in the town. EPRDF cadres did not know who to trust and suspected any civilian in their midst. Sometimes Buruysoo’s men would dress like homeless beggars on the street, and before the EPRDF cadre knew it, the “beggar” would attack with a pistol, and the cadre was laying in a pool of blood. The EPRDF made it their highest priority to catch Buruysoo, and in one such attack, one of his men were captured. He was tortured and finally gave up the hideout where Buruysoo was staying. The EPRDF mobilized a large force and surrounded the hideout, and a shootout followed. It was here, Oct. 4/1995, that Buruysoo was believed to have been fatally wounded and killed.
Last edited by Aliyyi Oromada on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aliyyi Oromada
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Aliyyi Oromada » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:39 am

This is the story of an IFLO commander in Baale (told by a friend of his) who led a small unit, and how his honesty even with his enemies, led to his martyrdom. May Allah accept him.

The Story of Commander Hassan Juuree and his unit (taken from Bariisa.com)

I met Hasan Juure immediately after I was assigned to Bale by EPRDF. At the time he commanded an armed group belonging to the Oromo Islamic Front which was part of the parliament of the so-called transitional government formed in 1991. Till I was removed from Bale I met him almost regularly together with the representative of the branch office of the Front in Goba. As a result I came to know him closely. He was a middle aged man of about fifty, looking much younger for his age, a short man, dark and agile. For years he had led a small group of fighters against the DERG in eastern Bale putting up an obstinate resistance and distinguishing himself as a heroic fighter fully committed to the fighting tradition of his people. The Bale lowland, especially Hawaxxuu and Raayitu, are the cradle of Oromo resistance against Amhara domination in Bale as far back as I remember from my early childhood. Here you find the race of men who are born fighters generation after generation and were rarely cowed despite constant repression. Unlike in the upper Bale regions where the peasantry was most of the time passive, the government could not establish full control in the dominantly pastoral and nomadic lowland. My father had great love and respect for these people and received their leaders for years when they turned up in Shabo, our village, near Goba, now wiped out from the map, due to forced villagisation under the DERG, to protest the atrocities of the security forces under Haile Selassie regime against the civilian population. The most famous among those leaders was Haji Ishaaq Daadhii, a very close associate of my father.

Hasan Juure was a practisng Muslim but not what one might call a fanatic or fundamentalist in any sense. Though uneducated, he gained through action extensive fighting skills and was always amenable to reason. I talked with him for hours in Goba and Ginnir many times and was impressed by his honesty and openness. Towards the end of my time in Bale, the Woyane army units started harassing him without informing me about their move. At that time I happened to be in Ginnir to attend the so-called routine assessment meetings in the OPDO headquarters. There were a number of TPLF commanders in the compound. It was midday. Having been sick I avoided taking food for two days and sat up in bed with my back against the wall, covering my head with a blanket. I heard somebody whispering assalaam aleikum. I looked up to see Hasan Juure standing in front of me, draping a big towel over his head and shoulders. He told me he slipped past the guards to see me, having heard the day before, of my presence in Ginnir. He said the military was after him and his men to hunt them down in violation of the charter of the transitional government.
The OPDO cadres and the Woyane officers were clearly shocked by his daring presence. When I asked the OPDO cadres what was going on I found them in utter confusion. The Woyane commanders denied trying hunting him and his men down and said they were only looking for him to discuss with him certain security problems in the area. When I asked if they could discuss the matter then with him in my presence they became suddenly cagey and uncommunicative..I insisted on knowing what the problem was. One of the commanders said nervously at this point that they acted on unfounded rumours and there was no need to discuss anything further. I asked what the rumours were. He suddenly looked perplexed. After a long silence he said he had no mandate to talk about them. Juure openly mentioned situations where TPLF army unit opened fire on him and his men. Had they not been helped by armed ordinary people in the area, surrounding the unit, he and his men would have been liquidated a number of times. I had no reason to suspect the truth of Juure’s statement and started really worrying. The commanders said they had no idea what happened and promised to check. I called a short meeting of Woyane commanders and OPDO cadres and made it clear to them that any violent action against Juure and his men was tantamount to the violation of the charter of the transitional government because, I said, I knew personally that Juuree and his men were strictly observing the charter. I said that because I knew the fact on the ground. Juree was in no position in those days to challenge the military. After the meeting both Woyane commanders and OPDO cadres tried to appear extremely amicable and friendly towards Juure, reassuring him and shaking hands with him, finally inviting us all to tee. At the end they even offered him protection on his way back to his base. Juure thanked them, saying he did not need any protection.

Almost five months after my removal from Bale the Woyane army units penetrated Juuree’s base area in a dark moonless night and surrounded him and his colleagues, gunning them down in cold blood in the early morning while they were doing morning prayers.

Together with some friends I mourned their death silently in Addis Ababa. Later a number of people informed me that the Woyane security had early on already gunned down in cold blood a number of very old peaceful and highly respected Moslem clerics in Addis Ababa and Wollo, men who, unlike Juure, were not involved whatsoever in politics. Soon, a little before I came back to Germany in 1995 the Woyane army stormed the central mosque in Addis Ababa by broad day light as we know and gunned down a large number of innocent people. The BBC tried to play down the incident. Woyane started liquidating respected Moslem figures even before the global war on terror started.

Although it is mainly targeting Muslims and oppressed nations, Woyane is also actually holding hostage the people of Abyssinia proper as well. The main instrument that it is effectively using for the systematic control of the masses in the entire country is called Kebele structures. It is the invention of the fascist Mengistu regime, the result of forced brutal villagization. It became clear also that individuals who guided the Woyane army to locate Juuree were members of the Kebele.

The governments of the western democracies know very well these instruments of repression and mass control. Yet they are determined to ignore them because the regime is serving their military strategy in the so-called war on terror. The regimes in Ethiopia and Eritrea are the only ones in Africa who openly and eagerly supported the American invasion of Iraq. Now it is becoming clear to the great majority of the peoples of the world that most of the human beings bombed out of existence in this war whether it is in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan , Ethiopia, Somalia, Lebanon and Palestine are innocent civilians. It seems to me that Muslims are purposely provoked to legitimize the war as a part of mainly Anglo-American strategy for world domination in post soviet era. So what does it matter if the peoples of Ethiopia are quarantined in fascistic Kebele structures even though half of them are Christians?

Gara Man
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Gara Man » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Aliyi did you see the new OLA video?

Aliyyi Oromada
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Aliyyi Oromada » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Nah bro. Haven’t seen it. I’m not really in the loop, but I heard about it. OLF branches tend to stay away from the Oromo muslim community. We tend to view them as drinkers and party animals (which for the most part they are), while they view us as “alagaa”. And we have no problem with that label :) . But the thing is I have respect those who leave their families to defend their people, and the diaspora party animals don't fall in that category. nah mean.

Somali_Boqor
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Somali_Boqor » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:58 am

What is the situation with the islamic movement in oromia at the moment?

Aliyyi Oromada
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Aliyyi Oromada » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:31 pm

What happened was bad leadership. Poor Shura, and making decisions without consultation, sometimes even for personal reasons (by the leader) led to an internal dispute in the leadership. Eventually the ikhwan spilled one anothers blood because of this, and the organization collapsed. To the best of my knowledge most of the fighters ended up joining OLF. Nothing good came after that really, except a lesson learned.

Aliyyi Oromada
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Aliyyi Oromada » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:44 pm

Waaqoo Guutuu (The General)

General Waaqoo Guutuu was born in 1924 in the region of Bale, southeastern Oromia. His father was born in freedom prior to the Ethiopia occupation of the region under Minilik, and would constantly remind his son of this time. From a young age this motivated Waaqoo to change this situation. Waaqoo began the armed stuggle in 1963 and would continue on that path for the remainder of his life.

Waaqo Guutu's force moved to Dallo, the birthplace of Waaqo, and joined old friends like Aliyyi Chirri, who had already revolted and were in the Madda Walaabu forest. The first time the join Waaqo/Chirri guerilla force encountered the enemy was at Malkaa Arganno, where they tasted their fist victory. From there, they advanced to the towns of Oborso and Bidere and liberated them.
The Waaqo/Chirri rebellion spread like forest fire through Dallo, Waabee and other provinces. More leaders with hundreds of followers went to Somalia and received assistance. They used classical guerrilla tactics operating out of bases in the dense forests and mountains of Baale. The guerrillas made constant raids on the colonial force and army outposts and roads to make it difficult for the army to move or to receive supplies. Some of the prominent leaders in the Baale uprising were Waaqo Guutu, Waaqo Luugo, Aliyyi Chirri, Abbaa Washa and Hajji Yisihaq.

Using air cover, the Ethiopian army launched an all-out offensive in Dallo and Gannale to defeat the Baale rebellion. After some of the ferocious fighting, the army captured the towns of Hawo and Buluq in Dallo. But it was a temporary defeat to the guerrillas since they recaptured these places after a few weeks and the government offensive ended as a total failure. At this juncture, the Ethiopian government became desperate, and once again it turned to its patrons for help to rescue the Empire. The British sent over 400 British army engineers to build bridges and roads. One of the bridges that was of tremendous strategic importance was built over the Gannaale river. The American Air Force experts were brought in to improve the fire power of the Ethiopian Air Force jet fighters for more accurate air strikes. Several Israeli counter-insurgency and explosive experts were brought in to advise and guide the army. In spite of all these efforts, the guerrillas were able to repulse the enemy and continue to expand their area activity.

(Taken from Gadaa.com History section)

Colonel Aliyyi Chirri explains the condition of the fighters during the aerial bombardment;
“What hurt us most were the airplanes. That was what hurt us, and if there were no airplanes, they could not touch us. Airplanes do not differentiate between cows and camels, they destroy everything. They tore people bodies apart. However, let it tear them apart and cut them up, our people never feared or ran for cover under the trees. We just stood our ground. No running, no fleeing. The same when we encounter the enemy on the ground. If it came down to it we would charge them with bayonets and our bare hands, but there is no fleeing. That is how we fought. No fear whatsoever.”
The fighting eventually came to a halt after a peace deal was signed with the Haile Selassie regime. After the deal was signed, Haile Selassie made a visit to Waaqos home region in Dallo Baale. Haile Selassie would later ask Waaqoo, “when I came to Dallo, why didn’t you come and greet me?”. Waaqo replied “I am the ruler of Dallo, and you are the ruler of Shawa therefore when you come to my house, you come and see me.” Such was the contempt he had for a Haile Selassie, a man who could not fight his own battle a day in his life.

Fighting would reignite in the late 1970’s against the regime of Mengistu Haile Maryam. During that time Waaqoo Guutuu organized organized under the banner of the Somali Abbo Liberation Front to gain support from the Somali government. This move was unpopular with Oromos, and eventually the organization abandoned the name but by that time his movement lost momentum while the Hararge based OLF and IFLO moved into its territory.

After the collapse of the Mengistu regime, the Generals group which controlled parts of Baale province, joined the transitional government, but eventually pulled out in 1992 after it realized the nature of the enemy. The group reorganized under the name “Tokkichumma” (also know by the English acronym UOPLF) and continued the armed struggle. In 1995 it formed a coalition with the IFLO, and in 1997 it formed another united front.
Ethiopian political and Islamic groups based in the Somali capital Moqdishu, have announced the formation of a new opposition alliance aimed at overthrowing the government of Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi. The new organisation —the Oromo, Somali and Afar Liberation Alliance (OSALA)— claims that it has established a military force to fight against the current governments in Ethiopia and Eritrea. The group is said to comprise the
United Oromo People’s Liberation Front (UOPLF), Oromo Abbo Liberation Front (OALF), Somali People’s Liberation Front (SPLF), Oromo People’s Liberation Organisation (OPLO), Afar People’s Liberation Army (APLA) and the Islamic Union of Western Somalia (IUWS). At a news conference held in Moqdishu on 5 September, the alliance vowed to put an end to “centuries of Judeo-Christian ideological hegemony,” in Ethiopia and Eritrea and install governments committed to the principles of self-determination for all people. (AFP 6 September 1997).
Tokkichumma claimed responsibility for a number of attacks on the EPRDF in the late 1990’s. In coalition with the OLF, they established training camps in Southern Somalia until eventually they were closed down after pressure was mounted by Ethiopia on the Somali warlord in control of the area, Hussein Aideed.

A year later 5 Oromo groups, including General Waaqoo’s Tokkichumma, along with the OLF, and IFLO formed a coalition called the ULFO and General Waaqoo was chosen as the leader, which he continued to serve as until he passed away in 2006. He was buried in Baale province, his place of birth. To this day his home region is one of the most volatile regions for the enemy. Along with his political life, he was also a family man. He had 49 children, 34 of which are alive today.

“When I met with him in July 1980 was his confidence in himself and his ideas. Even if he had a difference of opinion with you, he always respectfully listened to what you have to say. And then he explained his rational with clarity, without insisting that his view is the only road to the promised land of freedom. That was the mark of maturity, intelligence, wisdom, and the product of long and hard experience. I hope we will learn from his experience.” (Dr. Muhammed Hassan speaking about General Waaqoo)

Aliyyi Oromada
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Aliyyi Oromada » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:46 pm

(Taken from Saphalo.com)

Sheikh Bakri Sapalo (born Abubakar Garad Usman; November 1895 - 5 April 1980) was an Oromo scholar, poet, and religious teacher. He is best known as the inventor of a writing system for the Oromo language.

Life

Bakri Sapalo was the son of Garad Usman Oda, a landowner in the area of the Sapalo River who was among those who were carried over into Emperor Menelik's regime after the conquest of Harar. His son Abubakar was born eight years after the conquest of Harar; Abubakar had three brothers and four sisters. Although reputed to have been a good Muslim and remembered to this day for his skill in oratory and command of the Oromo language, Garad Usman remained illiterate. After receiving his elementary education, Abubakar went to Chercher where he studied under the Islamic teacher Sheikh Umar Aliyyi Balbaletti, and afterwards went to Harar to study with Sheikh Yusuf Adam for a number of years there. Although he also studied under other Islamic teachers, these were the only ones he wrote biographies about.

After devoting 20 years of his life to his studies, he returned to his home village of Sapalo, where he began to teach. Besides religion, subjects he taught included geography, history, mathematics, astronomy, Arabic, and the composition of writings in the Oromo language. He also began to compose poetry in the Oromo language, which not only brought him fame but the name he afterwards was known by, Sheikh Bakri Sapalo: "Bakri" is the popular form of "Abubakar" and Sapalo after his village. Sheikh Bakri eventually left Sapalo and taught in a number of places, of which the three best known are Hortu, near Dire Dawa, the city of Dire Dawa itself, and Addelle, a place some 25 kilometers from Dire Dawa, on the road to Harar. It was at Addelle where he built a school and what came to be known as his mosque. He is said to have married a local woman at every place he stayed, at least 11 of whom are known. He had eighteen children by three of his wives, thirteen sons and five daughters. Despite the large number of wives, he carefully obeyed the Muslim commandments on polygamy, for he is said never to have had more than two wives at once, and towards the end of his life he had only one wife. During this time he also wrote prolifically both in Arabic and Oromo.

He is believed to have invented his writing system for Oromo in 1956 at the village of Hagi Qome. Neither Hayward nor Hassan offer a reason why Sheikh Bakri returned to his home area to work on his system, "unless it was for the purpose of keeping the thing secret, for the authorities would certainly have been adamantly opposed to the idea of Oromo being written in any form, let alone in a script other than Ethiopic."[3] Although it was initially met with great enthusiasm and found a number of users in his province of Hararghe, the Ethiopian authorities predictably reacted with fear that he was "inciting the Oromo to too great an ethnic consciousness and thus endangering the national unity." The Amhara moved quickly to suppress its use, and in 1965 Sheikh Bakri was placed under house arrest in Dire Dawa but allowed to continue his teaching. In 1968, he was given permission to visit Addelle two or three times a week. It was during these years that he wrote Shalda, a twenty-page pamphlet which purported to be a work of religious instruction, but was actually from beginning to end a caustically worded indictment of Amhara colonial oppression and an account of the suffering of the Oromo under the rule of Emperor Haile Selassie. Hayward and Hassan further note that "Shalda is of interest in that it is really both the first and the last major writing in Shaykh Bakri Sapalo's alphabet."

In 1978, after Emperor Haile Selassie was deposed and the Derg gained power, Sheikh Bakri and his wife fled the Red Terror and fled to Somalia where they were admitted to a refugee camp in Hiraan. Sheikh Bakri had hoped he would be allowed to proceed further to Mogadishu where he could work and have his writings published, but he never received permission to leave the camp. Conditions there proved too much for a man in his eighties, and he died in the camp after a prolonged illness.

Works

Although Sheikh Bakri wrote many works both on religious and secular topics, except for a few distributed in mimeograph form all of his writings remained in manuscript form during his lifetime, and were distributed amongst his students.[5] Hayward and Hassan list eight of his writings in Arabic, which at the time could be consulted in Mogadishu: Dirdsa fi al-mantiqa 1-Harariyya jughrafiyyan wa bashariyyan, a study of the geography and demography of the Harar region of about 200 pages; two works on history, Janaza shamarikh min hadayiz al-tawarikh 95 pages in length, and Kitab irsal al-sawarikh ila sama' al-tawarikh a history of the Oromo in 56 pages; three religious writings Al-mawahib al-madadiyyah fi l-'awf al-'adadiyya, Muqaddamat taysir al-zari'a (48 pages long), and Taysir al-zari'a ila fuquhiyy fi ahkam al-shari'a; and the two biographies of his teachers mentioned above.

Mohammed Hassan made use of Sheikh Bakri's Kitab irsal al-sawarikh ila sama' al-tawarikh in writing his The Oromo of Ethiopia, a History: 1570-1860, describing the manuscript in the bibliography as sketching "an overall panorama of Oromo history from early times to the present. Although it is not free from major limitations on early Oromo history, it contains much useful data on the gada system." Hassan relies on it heavily in his discussion on the gaada system.

As noted above, Sheikh Bakri was also a renowned Oromo poet. "Shaykh Bakri, write Hayward and Hassan, "stirred the imagination and captured the love of the Oromo masses by means of his poems, which were composed in their language and were short enough for the people to learn by heart."

Sheikh Bakri Sapalo's chief accomplishment is his writing system. Although Oromo has been transcribed using two writing systems Sheikh Sapalo was familiar with, the Ge'ez script and the Arabic alphabet, both are "far from adequate" in Hayward and Hassan's opinion, for reasons they set forth. (Most important being that Amhara has only seven vowels while Oromo has 10.) While they "have no reason whatsoever to entertain the belief that Shaykh Bakri had ever studied modern linguistics, or was acquainted with the concept of the phoneme, it is nevertheless the case that his writing system is almost entirely phonemic; that is to say, it is a system achieving the ideal of just one graphic symbol for each phonologically distinctive sound of the language." They further describe his writing system as a combination of a syllabary and an alphabet, in that while the Ge'ez script builds on a consonantal base the base character never appears without a modification to show the paired vowel; however, although the symbols he adopted are not cursive, which suggests a connection with Ge'ez over Arabic, none of them can be traced to either writing system; "they are a complete novelty."

Aliyyi Oromada
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Aliyyi Oromada » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:43 am

(OLF News, December 11, 2010) The heroic Oromo Liberation Army (OLA) continued its attack on enemy troops expanding its radius of operation to Northern Oromia, a report we received from Oromia revealed. Accordingly, OLA freedom fighters operating in Northern Oromia, Northern Shoa zone at a place bordering Kuyyuu county [woreda] and Mettaa Roobii county have attacked an enemy troop which was dispatched to terrorize the local population, instantly killing 8 and wounding at least 3 others on December 05, 2010. In this operation our freedom fighters have also confiscated military equipments from the enemy and made the property of the Oromo peoples’ struggle led by the OLF.

Meanwhile, OLA “Special Force” of Eastern Oromia zone continued its attack on the forces of the TPLF regime and killed a top Woyane spy and “intelligence head” of the area named Kiros Haile in the town of Dire Dhawa at a place called Saabbiyaan on December 07, 2010. It is known that, the attack by OLA panicked the regime and the so called “day of nations and nationalities” celebration could not take place as planned in Dire Dhawa city.

It is to be recalled that OLF News has reported on November 21, 2010 that OLA has killed 53 and wounded 38 others in Eastern and Southern Oromia and on November 25, 2010 that OLA has made 82 enemy troops out of action in Western Hararge zone, Bookee Xiqqoo County.

OLF News

I.U.Of!!

Oromo Liberation Army (OLA) Killed 14, Wounded at Least 7

(OLF News, December 27, 2010) The heroic Oromo Liberation Army (OLA) fighters operating in Easter Oromia, Eastern Harage zone have carried a sudden and coordinated attack on a TPLF led Ethiopian troop deployed in a camp in Qarsa town on December 14, 2010 killing 14 and wounding at least 7 a report we received from OLA Eastern Oromian command revealed.

Our freedom fighters have also confiscated military equipments from the enemy after the attack and made the property of the Oromo peoples’ struggle led by the OLF

This surprise attack was carried by an “OLA Special Unit” during night time when the enemy troops are at sleep. The panicked enemy troops opened fire on each other leaving their camp in disarray in the middle of the night. Later after the first round of sudden attack ended, the enemy troops got help from another area but they were unable to drive away the OLA unit.

As was always the case in the past, the enemy troops, angered by the attack of the OLA Special Unit, have forcefully called the local population for a meeting and have intimidated them for alleged support of OLA and to “retaliate” on them (the civilians).

It is to be recalled that OLF News has reported on December 11, 2010 that OLA has killed 8 and wounded at least 3 in Northern Oromia, Northern Shoa Zone, that on November 21, 2010 OLA has killed 53 and wounded 38 others in Eastern and Southern Oromia, and that on November 25, 2010 that OLA has made 82 enemy troops out of action in Western Hararge zone, Bookee Xiqqoo County.

Oromo Liberation Army (OLA) Killed 7 and Wounded at Least 4 in Hararge

OLF News, January 8, 2011) The hope and shield of the Oromo people, the Oromo Liberation Army (OLA) operating in Eastern Oromia, Western Hararge zone have killed 7 and wounded at least 4 invading TPLF led troops which were deployed to terrorize the Oromo people on December 24, 2010 in Daro Labu county [woreda] at a place called Gaddarraa, a report we received from OLA Eastern Oromian command revealed.

(OLF News,January 10,2011)A report we received from Oromia revealed that a Special Force unit of the Oromo Liberation Army (OLA) continued its operation in Northern Oromia, Northern Shoa zone and have attacked enemy troops dispatched to search for OLA in Yaya Gulele county [woreda] at villages called Daalaa and Rimeettii on December 30, 2010 killing 6 and wounding at least 4 enemy troops. OLA was able to get information about the Woyane troops and carried out a successful attack at night around 3:00 AM creating panic in the enemy camp. The confused enemy troops were seen shooting on each other sustaining damage on themselves.

It is known that the Woyane troops who survived death and wound were dispersed in disarray in all directions leaving their camp and were able to return to their camp one by one after day light the second day. The demoralized enemy troops were later seen harassing the local population and more enemy troops were sent from Finfinnee [Addis Ababa] to the location.

It is to be recalled that OLF News has reported that OLA has killed a total of 119 enemy troops and wounded a total of 97 others at different places of Oromia in the months of November and December 2010 alone.

OLA stated that it will continue its attack on invading enemy forces until freedom of Oromia.
OLF News

I.U.Of!!

(OLF News, January 22, 2011) A report we received from Oromia revealed that the heroic Oromo Liberation Army (OLA) continued its operation in Northern Oromia, Northern Shoa zone and have attacked enemy troops at a border of Northern and Western Shoa zone around the big Mogor river at a village known as Wiliccoo Bishaan Jabbii on January 13, 2011 killing 14 and wounding at least 6 enemy troops.

The attack started in the evening around 11:00 PM local time and continued intensively until 1:00 AM. The Woyane troops who survived death and wound were dispersed in disarray in all directions and their plan of terrorizing the local population has been completely aborted by the sudden attack of the OLA, the report added.

In this operation OLA has confiscated military equipments and ammunition and made the property of the Oromo Liberation struggle led by OLF.

Meanwhile, an OLA Special Force Unit operating in Eastern Hararge zone have attacked army unit of the TPLF regime in Harar city at a place called Shankor instantly killing 2 on January 19, 2011, another report we received from Eastern Oromia revealed.
It is to be recalled that OLF News has reported that OLA has killed a total of 125 enemy troops and wounded a total of 101 others at different places of Oromia in the months of November and December 2010 alone.

OLF News

I.U.Of!!

(Madda Oduu ABO/MOA/Amajjii 26,2011) Irree fi gaachanni ummata Oromoo WBOn Godina Bahaa Harargee Dhihaa keessa sossohu Amajjii 23,2011 naannoo Dhungataa bakka Dhaga-boor jedhamutti waraana wayyaanee WBO sakatta’uuf bobba’aa ture irratti tarkaanfii haleellaa fudhateen 13 yeroo irraa ajjeesu 8 ol ammoo madoo taasisuu Ajaji WBO Godina Bahaa beeksise.

Loltootni wayyaanee du’aa fi madoo irraa hafan kara karaa faffaca’anii kan baqatan oggaa ta’u, WBOn lola kana irratti meeshaalee gara garaa diina irraa booji’uus Ajaji WBO Godina Bahaa ifa godhee jira.

Sochii WBOn taasisaa jiruun rifaatuu keessa kan gale wayyaaneen, Godinoota Harargee bahaa fi dhihaa keessatti araddoota mara irraa namoota 5, 5n dirqiin walitti qabee leenjisuun WBO dura dhaabuuf carraaqaa akka jirus hubatameera.

Kana malees fiilmii dharaa ABO irratti ololu kanaan dura ofumaaf qopheessee fi yeroon irra darbe araddaaleen qarshii 100, 100n bitanii akka daawwatan dirqisiisuun maallaqa irraa saamaa akka jiru illee ifa ta’eera.

Translation:
(Jan.26 OLA in West Harargee zone repels an offensive by EPRDF, killing 13 and wounding atleast 8. In response to the fighting lately, the EPRDF has been hastily recruiting militia in east and west Harargee and preparing a new wave of propaganda to continue its offensive. )
OLA Video Message calls on Oromos to topple EPRDF:

http://bilisummaa.com/btapha/games/files/dhaamsawbo2011.

video features some gay music

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.