Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who remembers the Internet cafe stereotype?

Soomaalida waddankan ku dhaqan

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators, Islam mods, uk mods

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
hydrogen
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Who remembers the Internet cafe stereotype?

Postby hydrogen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:06 am

It was a stereotype that Somali people owned internet cafes but it seems now, that stereotype has been replaced with minicab driving :down:

I haven't heard anyone associate Internet cafe with Somalis for about two years now but I think that's because most of them have closed down

GeoSeven
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Out of my mind somewhere...always somewhere, never an exact location.

Re: Who remembers the Internet cafe stereotype?

Postby GeoSeven » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:38 pm

Did Somalis own a lot of internet cafes in London :-O

ZubeirAwal
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: No one feels safe from hypocrisy except the hypocrite.

Postby ZubeirAwal » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:39 pm

Minicab driving and internet hot-spots are somali stereotypes, also the setting up of telephone cubicles within the internet cafe's, there's a cafe not far from my place in the same building where they do money transferring.

hydrogen
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby hydrogen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:44 pm

Yep, many, it was like how Asians owned grocery stores Somalis owned internet cafes but for some reason it has faded away.

ZubeirAwal
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: No one feels safe from hypocrisy except the hypocrite.

Postby ZubeirAwal » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:45 pm

Yep, many, it was like how Asians owned grocery stores Somalis owned internet cafes but for some reason it has faded away.
Dude it hasn't, there's 6 internet cafe's in Haringey, wood green and several in my area too. Just because you haven't seen much doesn't mean it faded away...

hydrogen
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby hydrogen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:46 pm

Minicab driving and internet hot-spots are somali stereotypes, also the setting up of telephone cubicles within the internet cafe's, there's a cafe not far from my place in the same building where they do money transferring.
Those cubicle calls used to be very popular, nowadays everyone has connections in their homes so that's practically died down.

hydrogen
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby hydrogen » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Dude it hasn't, there's 6 internet cafe's in Haringey, wood green and several in my area too. Just because you haven't seen much doesn't mean it faded away...
I remember going to Finsbury park the streets were lined with Somali words and Somali telephone companies as shop titles :lol:

MujahidAishah

Postby MujahidAishah » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Somalis always jump on to a new phase from internet cafe to.minicab to" business centers " which in reality is a shop seperated by plywood cubicles with 10 women sitting in them selling the same diraac and abaya shampoos and soaps which u can.cheaper at pak :snoop:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.