Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The True Somali Word

Luqada Soomaaliga

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators, Islam mods

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
thelionwithfire

The True Somali Word

Postby thelionwithfire » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:33 pm

Sick of theses italian, arabic, english words we included into our language. Le'ts find the true somali word for all of these words.
Inshallah we can regain our language before it dies out.

Buuga
buluug (can't it be ciryid?)
Subax
Shukuman
Naf (should be rubad/rubud right?)
kursi
waqti (should be amaan right?)
miis

and many more....
What are the proper somali words for these and anymore you can think of?

theologain

Re: The True Somali Word

Postby theologain » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:21 am

Taking away loanwords is not a good idea lets look at English, 59% of English vocabulary is Romance.

Taking away literature for example would become Bookcraft
Or umbrella will become Rainshade

The issue in Af Somali is that taking away loanwords is harder than making new words, English is easier because you can make compounds easily.

Like Reply will become TalkBack.

Languages don't die off loanwords they die because of a natural process of Language decay when a language evolves and cognates, like Dirybal language in Aboriginal languages, In Dirybal like around 50 years ago it had Free Word order, 5 genitive cases, and more crazy things. Linguists came back to Dirybal and it had no Anglo-Australian influence and it changed so quickly from SVO word order and only 3 genitive cases and more changed.

If we understand languages they are made to cognate over time, loanword don't decay languages. Languages decay them selves.

thelionwithfire

Postby thelionwithfire » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:26 am

English does develop words and has borrowed plenty, i'd 70% truthfully, i'm suggesting we opt out of the foreign words an switch gears to the native ones when possible. Many borrowed words are through colonization so we can start there.
Jalo becomes huruud, buluug could be ciryid/cirid, see what i mean?
Gotta decolonize eventually.

theologain

Postby theologain » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:31 pm

English does develop words and has borrowed plenty, i'd 70% truthfully, i'm suggesting we opt out of the foreign words an switch gears to the native ones when possible. Many borrowed words are through colonization so we can start there.
Jalo becomes huruud, buluug could be ciryid/cirid, see what i mean?
Gotta decolonize eventually.
It won't be easy, Languages are supposed to cognate and borrow. Look at English and Greek, we took words like Mathematics, Science, and Geography. These words made it easier for people to understand, or words will end up with no words to mean something. Making Af Somali 100% with no loanwords won't become Af Somali it will become Proto Cushitic.

Because you are taking away the words that are cognate from Proto Cushitic and reversing it back, like how you are trying to but an Adult back to his/her mother's womb.

Let's use English and French
Judge came from French, but we don't have that Anglish
Beef came from French, but we don't have that in Anglish
Mobile came from French, but we don't have that Anglish
Tally came from French, but we don't have that Anglish

much much more.

Languages are supposed to die and separate, without this process there will be no such thing has Af Somali, Af Carabi, Af Oromo and more.

thelionwithfire

Postby thelionwithfire » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:18 am

100% no loan words? I'm speaking of the words taking since the 1900~ (italian/english). Somali has enough vocab to cover many things however the language is no longer formally taught. For instance, we have our own calender yet use arabic days of the week? It's these type of errors I'm trying to combat on this thread.

The natural order doesn't apply here as different subgroups aren't seperating from a common ancestor but are taking on words from unrelated linguistic trees. It's only right to get a language back in check.
As well, just how english borrowed from latin to formulate new words to avoid direct meaning obscurities, Somali can likely do the same.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.