Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Horrendous' Portrayal of Islam on 24 Angers Muslim Groups

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
michael_ital
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

'Horrendous' Portrayal of Islam on 24 Angers Muslim Groups

Postby michael_ital » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:22 pm

Question. Why don't the jew bastards at Fox portray a Zionist Extremist group as terrorists for a change ?? Dirty filthy jew c'ocks'uckers. Makes me proud of the fact i've never even seen 5 minutes of their filthy "show."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Muslims protest reprised role as terrorists in Fox hit series '24'
ADVERTISEMENT

Thu Jan 18, 02:49 PM EST
Wayne Parry

By Wayne Parry

CLIFTON, N.J. (AP) - Two years ago, Muslim groups protested when the plot of the hit Fox drama '24' cast Islamic terrorists as the villains who launched a stolen nuclear missile in an attack on America.

Now, after a one-year respite during which Russian separatists played the bad guys on the critically acclaimed series, Muslims are back in the evil spotlight. Unlike last time, when agent Jack Bauer saved the day, the terrorists this time have already succeeded in detonating a nuclear bomb in a Los Angeles suburb.

Being portrayed again as the heartless wrongdoers has drawn renewed protests from Muslim groups, including one that had a meeting with Fox executives two years ago over the issue.

"The overwhelming impression you get is fear and hatred for Muslims," said Rabiah Ahmed, a spokeswoman for the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations. She said Thursday she was distressed by this season's premiere. "After watching that show, I was afraid to go to the grocery store because I wasn't sure the person next to me would be able to differentiate between fiction and reality."

She said the group had a conference call Wednesday with Fox executives to protest the current plot line and request more positive portrayals of Muslims on the show, but was not promised anything.

After a January 2005 meeting with CAIR, Fox aired a commercial in which the show's star, Kiefer Sutherland, urged viewers to keep in mind that the show's villains are not representative of all Muslims.

In a written statement issued late Wednesday night, the network said it has not singled out any ethnic or religious group for blame in creating its characters.

"24 is a heightened drama about anti-terrorism," the statement read. "After five seasons, the audience clearly understands this, and realizes that any individual, family, or group (ethnic or otherwise) that engages in violence is not meant to be typical.

"Over the past several seasons, the villains have included shadowy Anglo businessmen, Baltic Europeans, Germans, Russians, Islamic fundamentalists, and even the (Anglo-American) president of the United States," the network said. "The show has made a concerted effort to show ethnic, religious and political groups as multidimensional, and political issues are debated from multiple viewpoints."

The current season began with Muslim terrorists waging an 11-week campaign of suicide bombings across America, culminating in the detonation of a suitcase-sized nuclear bomb in Valencia, Calif., about 26 miles north of Los Angeles. Estimated death toll: 12,000.

Watching the show's characters talk about detonating a nuclear weapon a few blocks from where she works unnerved Sireen Sawaf, an official with the Los Angeles-based Muslim Public Affairs Council, and a self-described "huge '24' fan."

"It's a great show, and I do realize it's a multidimensional show that portrays extreme situations," she said. "They have gone out of their way to have non-Muslim terror cells.

"But I'm concerned about the image it ingrains in the minds of the American public and the American government, particularly when you have anti-Muslim statements spewing from the mouths of government officials."

Sohail Mohammed, a New Jersey immigration lawyer who represented scores of detainees caught up in the post Sept. 11, 2001 dragnet, watched the episode depicting the nuclear attack with an Associated Press reporter.

"I was shocked," he said. "Somewhere, some lunatic out there watching this will do something to an innocent American Muslim because he believes what he saw on TV."

Engy Abdelkader, a member of the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee from Howell, N.J., launched a campaign Wednesday to encourage Muslims offended by the program to complain to Fox.

"I found the portrayal of American Muslims to be pretty horrendous," she said. "It was denigrating from beginning to end. This is one of the most popular programs on television today. It's pretty distressing."

Concerns about Muslims' civil rights, detention of terror suspects in Guantanamo-like holding centres, and stereotyping are given vastly expanded treatment on '24' this year. In one exchange, the show depicts the president's national security adviser challenging the White House chief of staff over the detention of Muslims without criminal charges.

"Right now the American Muslim community is our greatest asset," the security adviser says. "They have provided law enforcement with hundreds of tips, and not a single member of that community has been implicated in these attacks."

"So far," the chief of staff responds.

Gatspy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gatspy » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:10 pm

have u seen Little Mosque on the Prairie yet Mikey? its pretty funny.

michael_ital
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby michael_ital » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:18 pm

Actually, I haven't. But I've heard it's pretty good.

intellex
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby intellex » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:24 pm

[quote="michael_ital"]Actually, I haven't. But I've heard it's pretty good.[/quote]

why are u telling the bull sh.t waryaa you know iam good did you shave your hairy azzz Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

muktaar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: In East Timor getting my huge ceeb circumcised !!!!

Postby muktaar » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:36 pm

intlx

i want u so , bad.. ur anus make my ceeb moist with pre cum, blud

get bak to my bed, im so horny , so fukin horny

intellex
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby intellex » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:38 pm

[quote="muktaar"]intlx

get bak to my bed, im so horny , so fukin horny[/quote]

i dont mind fcking u i know you are here to help your brother inlow micheal or is he your uncle Laughing Laughing or awoowe?? who did fcked ??

muktaar
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: In East Timor getting my huge ceeb circumcised !!!!

Postby muktaar » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:42 pm

intlx
im here to take u from this room to the other, i want ur total attention, blud

lets go to the next room so i can anal sex with u,bruv
i missed ur anus

michael_ital
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby michael_ital » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:24 pm

[quote="muktaar"]intlx

[/quote]

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Steeler [Crawler2]
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Steeler [Crawler2] » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:48 am

You guys really need to stop with the homosexual references.

Gatspy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gatspy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:45 pm

Mosque on the Prairie is the funniest thing on Canadian TV since The Trailer Park Boys.

Ashlee
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming.

Postby Ashlee » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:47 pm

funny, i was just watching 24. didn't seem like that to me.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.