Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Female Genital Mutilation

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Madaxweyne

Female Genital Mutilation

Postby Madaxweyne » Fri May 09, 2008 4:46 am

Salaam brothers and sisters. As a former trained nurse, I have decided to write what I know from the so-called FGM. I'm not a woman but I can tell you I can feel the pain that our little girls feel day in and day out. So I hope Halimos will never allow this old-fashioned practice performed to their daughters and sisters. Let's go and read the story and see what you can learn fom it, or what you can add to the it based on your experience.
http://www.libaax.com/2008/05/female-ge ... ation.html

Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Female Genital Mutilation

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Fri May 09, 2008 6:16 am

Madaxweyne ..its a good job what you are doing..but please dont underestimate the sisters here..we know better than to do something like that.. :D

Also..I'm sure you will find 100% of everyone here against this barbaric practise on this board..and i firmly believe we should not just be vocal about it..but active too..no point burying our heads in the sand and wishing it would 'just go away'.

Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Fri May 09, 2008 6:26 am

thanks for the link!! i learnt a few new things..subhanallah :shock:

also thanks for linking that programme from Al Jazeera..i missed it first time around.

Xoogga

Postby Xoogga » Fri May 09, 2008 7:26 am

Thanks abaayo. It was tough and time consuming to write this story today, but knowledge is power and we all need to share everything we know. FGM problem is not new to us and everyone knows it, but I went into great detail and wrote everything I knew.
Thank yopu guys and please keep this board clean and stop insulting walaahaa.
Jaakoole

Sakhraan
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Sakhraan » Fri May 09, 2008 4:15 pm

Best medicine against AIDS. :roll:

laila2008

Postby laila2008 » Fri May 09, 2008 4:18 pm

Enlightened~Sista wrote:Madaxweyne ..its a good job what you are doing..but please dont underestimate the sisters here..we know better than to do something like that.. :D

Also..I'm sure you will find 100% of everyone here against this barbaric practise on this board..and i firmly believe we should not just be vocal about it..but active too..no point burying our heads in the sand and wishing it would 'just go away'.

not everyone in here is against it, specially not ciise who admitted it and his gaylord supporter muktaar are for FGM

surria
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby surria » Fri May 09, 2008 4:23 pm

The only people who do this to their kids are the poor and uneducated who hail from the baadio. I don't think that it is as commen as you people make it out, maybe it was for those who were born in the early 20th century, but not people of today. I think, you people take one or two cases from the media and blow it out.

QansaGabeyle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby QansaGabeyle » Fri May 09, 2008 4:27 pm

You know what is strange, western women are performing a new procedure on themselves that is very similar to what they call FGM. According to them the vagina will look better if this procedure is performed on them. lol They are removing the labia and everything.....ok not everything but everything other than the kinter. lol I believe the western will soon be performing fircooni circumcision on their daughters and call it a different name while crying foul about the non-western people who do it.

http://www.siecus.org/inter/connection/conn0057.html

wastegal
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby wastegal » Fri May 09, 2008 4:30 pm

Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Fri May 09, 2008 4:33 pm

QansaGabeyle wrote:You know what is strange, western women are performing a new procedure on themselves that is very similar to what they call FGM. According to them the vagina will look better if this procedure is performed on them. lol They are removing the labia and everything.....ok not everything but everything other than the kinter. lol I believe the western will soon be performing fircooni circumcision on their daughters and call it a different name while crying foul about the non-western people who do it.

looooooool

snowflakes821
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby snowflakes821 » Fri May 09, 2008 4:38 pm

surria wrote:The only people who do this to their kids are the poor and uneducated who hail from the baadio. I don't think that it is as commen as you people make it out, maybe it was for those who were born in the early 20th century, but not people of today. I think, you people take one or two cases from the media and blow it out.

I agree with this. My grandfather is completely against FGM and remember this is a man in his 70s. I think United Nations completly fabricated those numbers and only went to the baadio to conduct surveys. They never went to Mogadishu. They want to portray Africans as backwards.

Also, why is FGM considered an African practice. Because its not, its something that backwards parents who do this to their daughters. As well, I read somewhere that it happens in Kurdistan. Yet, these Iraqis are covering up b/c they don't want the media to think they're barbaric however its perfectly fine to portray Africa as backwards afterall its the world's garbage dump.

http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/ ... xt/archive

Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Fri May 09, 2008 4:40 pm

surria wrote:The only people who do this to their kids are the poor and uneducated who hail from the baadio. I don't think that it is as commen as you people make it out, maybe it was for those who were born in the early 20th century, but not people of today. I think, you people take one or two cases from the media and blow it out.

Im sorry sis..but you are wrong its prevalent amongst baadiyo and reer magaal..go to Somalia..and they will ask u if you are done...they did ask us.

Firefly
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Underneath the apple tree, at one with nature's beauty.

Postby Firefly » Fri May 09, 2008 4:41 pm

QansaGabeyle wrote:You know what is strange, western women are performing a new procedure on themselves that is very similar to what they call FGM. According to them the vagina will look better if this procedure is performed on them. lol They are removing the labia and everything.....ok not everything but everything other than the kinter. lol I believe the western will soon be performing fircooni circumcision on their daughters and call it a different name while crying foul about the non-western people who do it.

Now that's disgusting. We sure live in a sex obsessed world!

laila2008

Postby laila2008 » Fri May 09, 2008 4:42 pm

this issue should not be taken as a joke and even in the 21 century people still practise this barbaric act and call it "suuni" making the kintir bleed or chopping it off a little bit off. Same thing still a faraou practise. And so called edcated somalis practise this in western world. So don't sit here and type its all exagerated. It's a fact.

QansaGabeyle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby QansaGabeyle » Fri May 09, 2008 4:43 pm

Surria is not an ethnic somali so you can understand why she thinks it is not common. The reer xamar and the somali bantus do not perform female circumscion on their daughters as far as I know but then again they make less than 1% of the somali population.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.