Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

African American or Somalian American

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Minneapolis Mayor
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

African American or Somalian American

Postby Minneapolis Mayor » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:29 pm

Since I was born in somalia I call myself Somalian american. what about my son who was born in america. should he call himself African american like Obama

Last edited by Minneapolis Mayor on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minneapolis Mayor
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: African American or Somalian American

Postby Minneapolis Mayor » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:25 am

Goljano Lion
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Goljano Lion » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:33 am

Abdilahi yusuf Said ''amuuse macalim jisow nin kafutoxun oo gurigisa laheysto majiro''
contemplate on that :lol: :lol: :lol:

The_Emperior5
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Suldaanka Guud beelaha reer Sheikh isxaaq Bani Axmed Bani Hashiim. In the republic of Soliziland

Postby The_Emperior5 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:48 am

alla hawiye caqli xumma bal wiika yare eeh jeberti siidu ula hadlayo eeg

QansaGabeyle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby QansaGabeyle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:22 am

Amina Ainanshe is your son? :lol: Waraa jug baa tahay Hanadoow!

Cawar
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Cawar » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:39 am

QansaGabeyle wrote:Amina Ainanshe is your son? :lol: Waraa jug baa tahay Hanadoow!

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ka darag
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: He's not invisible anymore, with his father's nine and a broken fuse.

Postby Ka darag » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:29 am

I dont know but I like to call myself British Somali... :up:

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:56 am

Somali American :up:

Atleast know where you're roots are from.

Obama even many times acknowledges his father was a Luo man who hearded goats in Kenya and embarked on his journey to America. :up:

ms.nalia
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: I have no laction, Im a free agent of the Universe..

Postby ms.nalia » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:02 am

wtf?

Is Somalia not in Africa?

I find it funny when Somali people think they are a race of their own....

fok..y'll are african.

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:05 am

ms.nalia wrote:

wtf?

Is Somalia not in Africa?

I find it funny when Somali people think they are a race of their own....

fok..y'll are african.

Sure, but thats not the point

African American signifies the former slaves, who have no idea where they come from

That is why Africans who are immigrants or descented of immigrants have more of a sense of identity.

Hence, Somali American, Sengalese American, Ghanian American, Ethiopian American, ect, ect

I can call myself African American, if you want to be literal with the term. But the meaning of the term does not connotate with myself, hell it doesn't even connotate with Barack Obama.

African = Geo-Political term, it doesn't signify race/ethnicity or culture

Somali does, obviously

ms.nalia
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: I have no laction, Im a free agent of the Universe..

Postby ms.nalia » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:16 am

Do you honestly think that someone is gonna take time to think "no wait, hes' not an african american....it doesnt connotate that his forefathers were once slaves"
You look black- hence you are of african descent; which in my books means your an african american.

If you insist on creating a whole new race for yourself and your/our people...go ahead..but dont use "slavery" as justification.

And FYI
Those people did not chose to be slaves and for you to use that degrade them makes you look insecure and weak.

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:21 am

ms.nalia wrote:

Do you honestly think that someone is gonna take time to think "no wait, hes' not an african american....it doesnt connotate that his forefathers were once slaves"
You look black- hence you are of african descent; which in my books means your an african american.

If you insist on creating a whole new race for yourself and your/our people...go ahead..but dont use "slavery" as justification.

And FYI
Those people did not chose to be slaves and for you to use that degrade them makes you look insecure and weak.

Dude, that was not the intention, its the hard facts.

African Americans look different, have a different culture and they are mostly gaalo, I don't have anything in common with them except my brown skin.

If you really think just in terms of "oh you're black" then you have no idea what you are talking about

I am of African descent, but I know where I come from and I know my roots giving myself a sense of identity the African American people do not have (which was taken from them)

Skin color doesn't constitute what an ethnicity is. African Americans even where rejecting Obama because he is not one of them, he came from a radically different lineage and he knows where his roots in Kenya lay.

We may be "black" but that doesn't mean we are the same, you can't just brush all Africans and those in the diaspora with one brush, and I really hate how Pan-Africanists try to do that.

This isn't about self esteem or superiority. Why would I feel superior when my country is the only one on Earth that doesn't even have a government, doesn't even have a justice system or even a peace? And the African American people live in one of the, if not the, richest and most powerful country on Earth?

This is all about identity and diversity, which faces us all.

AbdiWahab252
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AbdiWahab252 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:23 am

I consider myself to be African America.

We need to boost the number of African Americans are a proportion of the US population. look at the Term "Hispanic" which encompasses so many races with roots in the Latin America

The-Screw
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby The-Screw » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:27 am

Somali-American. :P

Mzbeautifull
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Mzbeautifull » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:28 am

Im British :P
Last edited by Mzbeautifull on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.