Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shire Jama Script (Somali written language)

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Cumar-Labasuul
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Shire Jama Script (Somali written language)

Postby Cumar-Labasuul » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:55 am

Somalis are a strange bunch of people, they use quotes from non-somalis when it suits them and refute them when it goes against them. :up:

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:55 am

Volt,

Notice that the word they chose was "evolved". They all had a hand in it.

Hirsi wasn't using it in 1966 and MSB didn't adopt it until (you're right) 1972.

I have a book of Somali poetry, printed in 1969 and with a forward signed by Mohamed Haji Ibrahim Egal, that uses Hh for X and credits the script to Musse Galaal.

accident
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby accident » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:56 am

There you go BV. Your simplicity has become undone. Nepotism existed, but it wasn't Shire's side, it was the side that leads Grant to believe his mentor didn't get credit because of Siad big bad wolf. In 1964, the most authoritative non-Somalis (Andrezjewski for Somali language and IM Lewis for Somali history) crediting Shire as having the most suitable script for writing Somali.

That well deserved accolade for Shire is what I did not want Grant to diminish with his doe eyed tales of his mentor.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Is this serious?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Sheikh Voltage ibn Guleid-Shire al-Garbaharawi, Oil Baron

Postby Voltage » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:01 am

Grant, Kim Jong Il could have his own modified version. It would be beside the point.

My point is was the 1972 officially chosen script Shire Jama Ahmed's? And also was it chosen through nepotism or merit when BW Andrezjewski ("Xoosh"), the most authoritative non-Somali linguist on the Somali language in that era, and IM Lewis both specifically credited Shire as having the most suitable version for them to use back in 1964?

Those were my contentions and I think I have proven. I think you need to admit that.

SultanOrder

Postby SultanOrder » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:03 am

Grant made my point exactly :up: there is more to it than the "accepted truth"

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:23 am

The effort was joint. The credit was singular. I see where X is more ecomomical that Hh or H plus/, but they all do say the same thing and are workable. MSB made a choice that by 1972 probably represented a consensus that Musse Galaal had not yet accepted in 1969.

During the same era MAH was created a national hero, a fiction many foreign scholars went along with in the interest of creating Somali nationalism among two disparate groupings. Hirsi preferred Osmaniya, but did have a part in the evolution of the Latin script. He deserves to be remembered for more than his opposition and disowning Ayaan.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:29 am

I see. You obviously still have great appreciation for the man and if he left that impression on you from the time you were an American kid in a foreign African country, I suppose he must have been great. I agree he should be remembered, as Muuse Galaal, and all the others. I felt a push back was needed when you took a passive aggressive approach to Shire to the point of even trying to delegitimize him while unconditionally embracing your former mentor. All should be remember but not at the expense of the most important contribution. Still, no one deserves to be remembered just for disowning Ayan and I suppose one can understand your position.

eyes-only
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby eyes-only » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:37 am

I'm confused, what script are you lot talking about? The Latin alphabet? I don't think you can credit that to Shire Jama or any Somali person for that matter.

The only debate or discussion that can exist in this area is why latin was adopted instead of Osmania...and at the end of the day, the conclusion will be because they chose to take the easier and most economical route.

Somali alphabet needs a lot of work and is far from perfect. I find it sad that you lot are arguing over who used 'x' before whom.

accident
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby accident » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:39 am

I'm confused, what script are you lot talking about? The Latin alphabet? I don't think you can credit that to Shire Jama or any Somali person for that matter.

The only debate or discussion that can exist in this area is why latin was adopted instead of Osmania...and at the end of the day, the conclusion will be because they chose to taking the easier and most economical route.

Somali alphabet needs a lot of work and is far from perfect. I find it sad that you lot are arguing over who used 'x' before whom.
They took it because Shire and MSB were from the same clan. :lol:

Shire's script was not the only one based on Latin alphabets.

NoAngst.
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby NoAngst. » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:39 am

Grant is right on the money. All Somalis who played part in the attempt to develop a written scrip for the Somali language deserve recognition and gratitude. Why some have this neurotic urge to minimize or even deny the contribution of others except for their fellow clansmen is a mystery to me. Recognizing the contributions of Xirsi, Kaddare, Galaal etc take nothing away from the prodigious achievements of Shire.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:42 am

Eyes-Only-

Those movements were considered revolutionary for their era. It is better for people to refrain from making judgement calls on issues beyond their grasp even today.

Accident-

Your trolling habits are becoming markedly noticeable and is highly unsuited for such discussions as this. Refrain before you are lobbied to refrain.

NoAngst-

I suppose Grant and I are in agreement now. He felt was totally ignoring other contributions and I felt he was delegitimizing Shire. We are in agreement now.

accident
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby accident » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:44 am

Eyes-Only-

Those movements were considered revolutionary for their era. It is better for people to refrain from making judgement calls on issues beyond their grasp even today.

Accident-

Your trolling habits are becoming markedly noticeable and is highly unsuited for such discussions as this. Refrain before you are lobbied to refrain.

NoAngst-

I suppose Grant and I are in agreement now. He felt was totally ignoring other contributions and I felt he was delegitimizing Shire. We are in agreement now.
Give me your best shot. :lol:

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:45 am

Eyes,

The Latin alphabet does not fit the Somali language. It had to be adapted for sounds like x and c and aa, oo uu, ii etc. It was actually a very complex evolution arriving at what is agreed upon today. There is probably just one script only because MSB said so.

XimanJaale
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby XimanJaale » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:47 am

I don't get these ignorant fools.

Somalia had NO official written language, every piece of written work was written in Italian, Arabic or English. All the governments in Somalia prior the Siad Barre revolution failed to create and implement the Somali written language.

One of the biggest achievement of the revolutionary government was the implement and creation of the Somali script. With thanks to academic professor Shire Ahmed who designed and worked hard to create a script to a precise perfection let it be economic wise or being close to matching a script with our language.

All the governments before Siad Barre failed to implement a script to our language, they pushed and shoved eachother to use Arabic text, Osmaniya, and others. Which all failed to present our language.

We should be proud of the Shire Jama script, and we should be proud of the revolutionary government for making it possible.

Eyes only,

This thread wasn't about who created the X. Cause the Somali script we use in Somalia, is created by Shire Jama, there is nothing in our script that comes from another person. Somalia has only 1 script, that is Shire Jama script :up:

accident
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby accident » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:48 am

Eyes,

The Latin alphabet does not fit the Somali language. It had to be adapted for sounds like x and c and aa, oo uu, ii etc. It was actually a very complex evolution arriving at what is agreed upon today. There is probably just one script only because MSB said so.
:up: :up:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.