Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somaliland’s Lower House lowers Age of Candidacy

Dedicated for Somaliland politics and affairs.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Ismail_Boss
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Somaliland’s Lower House lowers Age of Candidacy

Postby Ismail_Boss » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:35 pm

HARGEISA — Somaliland’s Lower House of Parliament on Tuesday approved amendments to the constitution that will reinforce the role of youth in public and parliamentary life.

Only half of the 82 members were present for the vote and 34 endorsed the new bill that will determine the age at which a person may be eligible to stand for general election.

The current minimum age for a person to be eligible for elective office is 35 which many youth rights groups labelled as unjustified age discrimination.

In today’s session the parliament argued it was important for the youths to take part in decision making and have their voice heard. The parliament lowered the minimum age of candidacy for the Lower House to 25.

The youths in the country welcomed the decision and said it gives them new hope to make other changes as well in Somaliland’s political system.

KyrieJama
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Somaliland’s Lower House lowers Age of Candidacy

Postby KyrieJama » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:09 pm

Mashallah SONYO deserves all the accolades. :up:

Methylamine
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Methylamine » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:12 pm

It used to be 35 :shock: Even 25 is still a bit old; should be 18-20 :up:

2ndtoNone
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby 2ndtoNone » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:03 am

So in somaliland people can vote at 18 years of age but can not represent their people, town and regions untill they're 25!... that fuked up walle. Either raise the voting age to 25 or lower the age of candidatcy to 18. That is fair in my book.

The youth of somaliland should NOT ACCEPT this mallarky policy.

Saraxnow
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Saraxnow » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:27 pm

What is an 18-year-old doing in the parliament? He/She should be going to uni. 25 is young enough :up:

KyrieJama
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby KyrieJama » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:55 pm

What is an 18-year-old doing in the parliament? He/She should be going to uni. 25 is young enough :up:
Your right 18 lol i believe 25 is a lot is too young. I believe a man should be married with kids in order to hold a political post, and gain experience a 25 year old is fresh out of university building a family and becoming a man should be his/her main priorities not entering politics it's pretty absurd if you think about. I'll be 25 in two months, and the last thing i'm thinking is being a politician i can't imagine anybody at my age being able to handle public funds you have to be extremely mature and responsible.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.