Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Investing in Somalia

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
shaab_
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Investing in Somalia

Postby shaab_ » Tue May 08, 2012 1:27 pm

Mogadishu looks like a rubbish dump, I can't believe people would be willing to spend much money on property there.

Osob101
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Osob101 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:30 pm

Real estate is ridiculous. Fix up your house and rent it out for anywhere between 5k to 20k a month.

One of my awoowes just rented out a property he fixed up near the beach in Xamar. He got 6 months rent up front and is ballin
Which area maa xafaada liido cause we just rented our Villa in Liido for 5000 and got a year upfront 60,000 :mrgreen: As for investing dont know meelah kale laakin in Xamar fixing your house now will cost you alot more because the labor baa very expensive noqdaye. Niinka fuundlaha wants 20$ a day and shows up late at 9 in the morning and leaves by 3 and u cant fire him because he will just go find another house to fix. Nabadaan balaayo kibir badaan keentaye :lol:

PrinceDaadi
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby PrinceDaadi » Tue May 08, 2012 1:31 pm

I was in Mogadishu last yr from July to December and to tell u the truth Land Speculators were making a kill. Yesterday i was told a land on the K4-Airport road was sold on amount of one Million US Dollar.

A decent Vila in Bulla Hubey area was changing hands in abt 50k.

But if u are a businessman, that is not where the business is, there is heavy construction going in the country and no viable construction firm exits. there also large public projects including roads, airports and ports as well as government facilities have to be rehabilitated. Construction materials is also needed in large quantities. I remember when Istanbul municipality asked the availibility of 15,000 Mt of cement, biz ppl have to say that they will get from Dubai.
Bubble bust on its way. It is like the somali currency; its value against the dollar and other currencies reflect the cost of printing.

Executive (Mr. Post graduate), war ninyahow isku xishoo! You are intellectually bankrupt as regards this issue.

I dont think the bubble bust is near, this is the begining of the boom, it will bust as happened around 2001 but I was encouraging the sectors that cater real estate sector.

Lillaahiya
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lillaahiya » Tue May 08, 2012 1:33 pm

I'm entertaining the idea of putting some money into a couple oil shares and buy some land :up: I'm banking on Dahabshiil buying it sometime down the line :lol:

Lamagoodle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lamagoodle » Tue May 08, 2012 1:34 pm

Prince Daadi,
Every that shoots upwards is bound to hit the ground. As is the case of Ponzi schemes (and as a matter of fact common investments) the winners are those who enter the system earlier and take home their returns.

Where is our Post graduate? Is he devising a theorem? :lol: :lol:

Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Throw me to the hyenas and I will return laughing as the pack leader.

Postby Adali » Tue May 08, 2012 1:39 pm

Real estate is ridiculous. Fix up your house and rent it out for anywhere between 5k to 20k a month.

One of my awoowes just rented out a property he fixed up near the beach in Xamar. He got 6 months rent up front and is ballin
I earn roughly $150 for a property I own in Caabudwaaq and $300 for one in Kismaayo, 5K is that even possible ? even in Xamar that sounds a bit too much bruv.. :lol:

Yes invest in Somalia, I have done so and not only am I building my something I can fall back on in the future but I am also getting returns which I reinvest. Also advice to invest in rural Kenya, the business over there is Buy land and resell it to Somali diaspora for more than double the original price, you will make money and they will end up selling the land back to you in a few years. :lol:

Also import/export is very good, get involved in that brother. :up:

Executive
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Executive » Tue May 08, 2012 1:43 pm

I earn roughly $150 for a property I own in Caabudwaaq and $300 for one in Kismaayo, 5K is that even possible ? even in Xamar that sounds a bit too much bruv.. :lol:

Are you renting it out to families? NGOs pay ridiculous money,

tightrope
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby tightrope » Tue May 08, 2012 1:44 pm

tightrope, your clearly kidding, but i sense and undercurrent of seriousness :?
in the future, if you ever see a dime off that "oil money", you can build yourself a palace outside kismayo.
with your riches you can be supplied with rent-a-dreads all summer long.
they won`t be any the wiser back east, and you will be contributing to the local bantu economy :D :som:
THE ONLY GROUP IN KISMAYO WHO WILL BENEFIT FROM PUNTLAND OIL IS HARTI. THEY WILL GET THE MONEY, LAND, AND WEAPONS, WHILE THE HUTUS, ILKOYARS, JAREER DIRT POOR :clap: :twisted:

PrinceDaadi
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby PrinceDaadi » Tue May 08, 2012 1:45 pm

Lam: All m saying is the bust is not near but it will bust, i m also waiting at that time. I m interested a decent vila Some where in the southern coastline of the city and i cant buy it because the asking price is very high.

Mantra of Investment is buy when the price is low and sale when everybody is talking abt but how do u know when to enter the market is very high.

I do follow commodities and it is fascinating.

Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Throw me to the hyenas and I will return laughing as the pack leader.

Postby Adali » Tue May 08, 2012 1:52 pm

Are you renting it out to families? NGOs pay ridiculous money,
nope, I rent it out to small business its a warehouse, family use to stay there for just $50 a month but I kicked them out since others were prepared to pay more, but I hooked the family up with a Jingad instead and they are happy with that. :up: :lol:

the Kismaayo one is a two story building shop and flat, I own the flat and I rent that for $300 a month, another family member owns the shop.

I know NGO's pay more money, but there aren't any NGO offices in Caabudwaaq or Kismaayo, but when they come I will hook them up swiftly.

Shirib
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Shirib » Tue May 08, 2012 1:54 pm

The real estate in and around Xamar is going sky high solely through speculation. It's not really worth that much.

Somalia is volatile you can make big money, but you can also lose everything you've ever worked for with the blink of an eye.

Personally if you don't have top notch connections that can whether the storm, I wouldn't do it.

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Tue May 08, 2012 9:54 pm

So I am not the only one got confused FAH's ## eh? 5K to 20K a month for a property in Xamar? Really? I heard some villa's are about 20K in Xamar so why not buy one instead of paying that much for a month's rent? :|

Lamagoodle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lamagoodle » Tue May 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Lam: All m saying is the bust is not near but it will bust, i m also waiting at that time. I m interested a decent vila Some where in the southern coastline of the city and i cant buy it because the asking price is very high.

Mantra of Investment is buy when the price is low and sale when everybody is talking abt but how do u know when to enter the market is very high.

I do follow commodities and it is fascinating.
True, that is the mantra of investment. But, it also says prudence. It is about institutions ( e.g. property rights). If the payoff is before the bubble bust you have nothing to lose.

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:09 pm

Which area maa xafaada liido cause we just rented our Villa in Liido for 5000 and got a year upfront 60,000 :mrgreen: As for investing dont know meelah kale laakin in Xamar fixing your house now will cost you alot more because the labor baa very expensive noqdaye. Niinka fuundlaha wants 20$ a day and shows up late at 9 in the morning and leaves by 3 and u cant fire him because he will just go find another house to fix. Nabadaan balaayo kibir badaan keentaye :lol:
Dude, yeah its that area and my awoowe got something similar I think 8k a month and got 6 months upfront. crazy shid :lol:

So I am not the only one got confused FAH's ## eh? 5K to 20K a month for a property in Xamar? Really? I heard some villa's are about 20K in Xamar so why not buy one instead of paying that much for a month's rent? :|
Adali and Twist,

Real estate in Xamar is ridiculous guys. I didn't believe it until my dad went there himself and claimed the properties my awoowe (AUN) left in his will to him and his siblings.

I don't want to get into too much details since this is the internet and I could be putting someone in danger but let's just say I helped my pops negotiate rent with an NGO to rent out a property. The NGO was bullshidding and saying we can only pay $2k a month. I wrote back to them saying the plot of land they are using is the jewel of the property and that their offer was not going to work.

2 hours later I got a response and they gave me the number I wanted which was $6k a month for the plot they want to use.

If your fam has property, claim it with your papers and make money off it. Renovate and rent your shid out

Lamagoodle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lamagoodle » Tue May 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Fah, your dad is probably a first mover. Many will enter the market because they realise the rents he is making on his capital and before you know it there is a saturation of the might as prices fall. Creative destruction.

P.s. I know a friend(he recently passed) who has six houses in Xamar and he is also renting them to NGOs.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.