Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

THE NAME FARAH

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Arabmann
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: THE NAME FARAH

Postby Arabmann » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:39 am

please just accept defeat like a man and we'll leave it at that, we all make mistakes.
OK Mr. winner, if it makes you happy.

waryaa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby waryaa » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:41 am

people and there weird theories with zero substance smh
Why should I share evidence with you when you rejected the idea before I could answer your question? I'd try to look for evidence had you not fired at me like that :mrgreen:

Hyperactive
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Hyperactive » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:52 am

i havent seen either ways arab guy/male named faarah. however they name farah girls, though in the arabic grammar is muscular word/name.

Arabmann
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Arabmann » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:03 am

i havent seen either ways arab guy/male named faarah. however they name farah girls, though in the arabic grammar is muscular word/name.
Does the word/verb فارح exist in Arabic? I googled it, and results include child hafiz named Abdurahman Faarah and famous soccer player.

waryaa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby waryaa » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:04 am

hyper, farrah/farah is a women's name outside Somalia. If you check with images.google.com i am sure u'll find almost all women images.

Hyperactive
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Hyperactive » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:10 am

Does the word/verb فارح exist in Arabic? I googled it, and results include child hafiz named Abdurahman Faarah and famous soccer player.
faarah could be in grammar 3ala wazn faa3il. but haven heard as name for male or female.

waryaa: in arabic there is no : haa" in the end . is فرح and is verb. in arabic language every world has origin which we call "masdar" is 3 words and it's verb. so فرح is muscular form and could name a man if you want. it's same as nour. is muscular but could name both male and female.

waryaa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby waryaa » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:18 am

hyper, gaalos cant pronounce the letter ح. They pronounce it is "h" so if your name is Farax, you must right it as Farah when you are in countries where they cannot pronounce ح.

Hyperactive
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Hyperactive » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:21 am

oooh. so do gaalo's have different meaning than arabic ?

The`Republic
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby The`Republic » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:25 am

I had a Jordianian male classmate named Farah but pronounced like the female Somali name (Fa-rax) rather than the male Somali name (Faa-rax). I think because Somali is a tonal language and masculine/feminine can be differentiated by tone (exp: "inan") Faarax must have been the masculine tone for the feminine Farax.

So I just found out Marehan is a popular Egyptian name for girls. :)

blackstars25
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby blackstars25 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:29 am

OK Mr. winner, if it makes you happy.
Truth be told, I'm very happy :mrgreen:

Why should I share evidence with you when you rejected the idea before I could answer your question? I'd try to look for evidence had you not fired at me like that :mrgreen:
Image Because you know it's nonsense.

waryaa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby waryaa » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:32 am

no, that was for your comment: Arabic has no "haa". The "haa" you see in Muslim/Arabic names like Farah, Halima, Abdirahman is just a substitute for the letter ح

Hyperactive
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Hyperactive » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:32 am

arabman, i googled and i found this aljerian kid who named faarah, exactly how somalis pronounce :

voltage, isn's popular at all. is really very rare and it pronounce : maree-haan" مريهان not in ح but هاء. unless your tribe was with هاء in origin. there is many words similar in many different languages. doesnt mean it comes in the same origin or meaning.

The`Republic
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby The`Republic » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:51 am

Hyper-

I was joking about that and didn't mean to imply any sort of origins. :) I know Marehan both in Somali and Arabic mean the same thing--one who walks on sweet flowers (Maru-reexaan). It has historical significance.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3530/myrrah.jpg
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5966/textqc7.gif

Hyperactive
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Hyperactive » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:57 am

brother i dont mean to bother you, i read you many times writing is arabic meaning, i just didnt bother with it. excuse my ignorant , what mareehan/murhaan means in arabic? all my 21 years and studying classic and asool arabic, and as arabic speaker to come cross that name in arabic. bal e bar.

The`Republic
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby The`Republic » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:14 am

Mar-reexaan

In Somali

Mar = to walk past/walk over
Reexaan = sweet smelling flowers

In Arabic

مر (v) = to pass by/go over
ريحان = sweet basils
ريعان = flowers

So when you look at the historical placement of the clan and how it was described by past observers, the name makes sense.

Last edited by The`Republic on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.