Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Celebrating failure?

Dedicated for Somaliland politics and affairs.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
LiquidHYDROGEN
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Celebrating failure?

Postby LiquidHYDROGEN » Sun May 18, 2014 3:19 pm

In the 21st century, we lack proper roads, 24hr power supply, a sewage system, rail to connect other cities, address and postal systems, organised city-planning, clean water networks and infrastructure and on and on and on...

More than two decades of independence from the south and none of these have been even remotely achieved. 23 years! Eritrea is a younger country than us with less resources and a bigger population and it has all of the above and more. It's starved of financial support and investment yet makes Somaliland look like a collection of shanty-towns. I'm sorry if I seem like a debby downer but I've always preferred brutal honesty to beautiful dreams. I want what's best for my people and between pointless musical chairs that is SL politics and the ictiraaf mania I feel we are being sold down the river.

Cherine
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Celebrating failure?

Postby Cherine » Sun May 18, 2014 3:26 pm

Interesting topic..
I just hope the usual troublemakers( they know who they are) butt out of it.

LobsterUnit
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LobsterUnit » Sun May 18, 2014 3:28 pm

I cringe whenever i see Somalis dancing on tv everytime a road is opened or street lighting is erected. Their politicians are taking them for a ride and nobody holds them to account.I am baasto i get suspicious of kneegrows wearing Hawaiian flower necklaces.

Xildiiid
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak

Postby Xildiiid » Sun May 18, 2014 3:36 pm

None of the main Eritrean towns were destroyed by the Ethiopians and many of their cities use the old sewage systems built by the Italians (similar one exists in Mogadishu). The British didn't build a sewage system in Hargeisa and our main towns were destroyed by the military junta, it's not an excuse but sometimes you have to put things in a historical context.

Instead of partying and sending ministers to different countries so they can party with the diaspora, we need new policies for different sectors be it healthcare, infrastructure, education system, national defense etc.

Cabdiyow, you can't just criticize, we need constructive criticism and our leaders need to listen or they can leave simple as that.

salool
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: "Live Each Day As If It Were Your Last... Tomorrow is Not Promised."

Postby salool » Sun May 18, 2014 3:37 pm

Dee orodo ku noqo wadankaaga and make a diffrence.Looma baahna dad computer ka so calaacala oo dhinac iskriim ka cunaya iyo pizza ma fahantey.Hadaad rabtid inaad wadankaaga horomar oo samaysid sariirta balaaran ka kac, dhalinyarada pizzada kula cunaysana ee computrada ka so baalaxooftaysa la tali oo wadankiini wax oo qabta ku dheh.Internet worrier subag afka ka dareeryo cidi uma baahna, sheekadaadu wa uun qawda maqashi waxba ha qaban. :lol:

abdikarim86
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby abdikarim86 » Sun May 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Why link celebrating SLs independence with development in the first place?
The two things are mutually exclusive
Should we remain dour and pessimistic on this day?
We've got 364 other days of the year sxb ee bal maalintan inoo daa :up:

I agree broadly with you however on the issue of development.

As the person above has stated put things into historical context.
We did not have full peace till 1997 and the ban on the livestock trade
crippled us for 10 years between 1999 and 2009.

Mida kalena runta hadii aynu isku sheegno ...dadkeenu waa iska xoolo.
the bettering of our people through education, religion and other things
is required I would say. Maybe you can play a role in this.

Things will fall into place eventually over time.
Last edited by abdikarim86 on Sun May 18, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XimanJaale
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby XimanJaale » Sun May 18, 2014 3:48 pm

I don't understand these people attacking LiquidHydrogen.

The brother is simply raising awareness and providing solid points. He is far from emotional but rather intellectual and sees things from a clear mind that is free from cuqdad and emotions.

I agree with the brother a lot. I'am not attacking Somaliland but ALL of Somalia is a shithole from Mogadishu to Hargeisa to Bosaso etc. But we Somalis are too emotional and backwards to see why we are failing as people.

Our people are getting all jolly happy over a tiny strip of second-hand pavement whilst the world are busy creating advanced transport networks with high-speed train systems. Somaliland is no different to the other administrations in Somalia. It is all based on qabil, not so long ago did Feysal Cali Waraabe admitted that 80% of Somaliland budget is taken by the Isaaq clan. But also all those budget don't go the Isaaq people but a handful of politicians that buy houses and Villas in the Middle East.

The only reason why the world has advanced is because they know how to work together and lived together, whilst the Somalis would rather prefer to be balkanised and attempt to create their own so-called government. But reality is that no single clan in Somalia can produce a advanced society, the only way to make our society advanced is through unity and brotherhood. How do you expect Somaliland to be successful when you are denying your neighbours (Dhulbhanate, Warsangali, Gadabuursi, Gabooye, Ciise) their rights?

We will forever remain a laughing stock unless we stop this backward mentality.

I wish all regions in Somalia peace and prosperity, but also unity amongst all Somali clans. My dream is the day Somalis unite for the better and not for worse. :up:

abdikarim86
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby abdikarim86 » Sun May 18, 2014 3:50 pm

Not 5 minutes and the boon makes an entrance ...Inaalilah, The topic is specifically about SL
cidina may soo hadal qaadin your homeland :idea:

And who here attacked the OP?

Methylamine
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Methylamine » Sun May 18, 2014 3:51 pm

In the 21st century, we lack proper roads, 24hr power supply, a sewage system, rail to connect other cities, address and postal systems, organised city-planning, clean water networks and infrastructure and on and on and on...

More than two decades of independence from the south and none of these have been even remotely achieved. 23 years! Eritrea is a younger country than us with less resources and a bigger population and it has all of the above and more. It's starved of financial support and investment yet makes Somaliland look like a collection of shanty-towns. I'm sorry if I seem like a debby downer but I've always preferred brutal honesty to beautiful dreams. I want what's best for my people and between pointless musical chairs that is SL politics and the ictiraaf mania I feel we are being sold down the river.
Saxib, there are many differences between Eritrea and Somaliland. Aside from the fact that their major cities were not subject to aerial bombardment and did not go through civil war like us, their major cities were also well built by the Italians. It was said that at one point, Asmara looked better than Rome :lol:

But that isn't any excuse to justify why Somaliland is developmentally challenged. There are many issues that you brought up that we need to face.

One thing that we should do, which is something I've been advocating for years is a diaspora taxation system, similar to what the Eritrean government has done. It is not fair that we as qurbajoogs, who come every summer to build big houses and big shiny buildings, don't pay taxes to enrich the land that we always gloat about. A simple and effective way is to tax through remittance. Statistically, Somalis send around $1 billion a year to Somalia/Somaliland. Assuming that half of that goes to Somaliland, if we charge each remittance a flat rate of 10-20%, the SL government can see an easy $50-100 million dollars in revenue each year. That's more than enough to begin restoring the roads in our cities with traffic signals and sidewalks, establish some sort of sewage system in the major cities, fix our schools and hospitals, and revitalize our ports (especially Berbera). If a transparent committee is set up to oversee all this flow of income, we can get Somaliland going very quickly.

This is an idea that needs to be brought up in the next election...

XimanJaale
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby XimanJaale » Sun May 18, 2014 3:55 pm

I don't understand these people using bombardments as a excuse. Get to the fact, Somaliland will remain a shithole forever just like Somalia until all Somalis clans unite. We have clan division in Somaliland, we have clan division in Somalia the whole f-king country is divided and busy competing with each other when the goal is to compete with the rest of the world.

Reer Somalilandoow all those time and money on attacking Dhulbahante and Warsangali was more useful on benefiting it to the healthy system of the region, the water system of the region. We Somalis are more focused on power and controlling a backward territory.

Eritreans are united and the people of Somaliland (Somalia) are not. Simple

Cherine
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cherine » Sun May 18, 2014 3:57 pm

I don't understand these people attacking LiquidHydrogen.

The brother is simply raising awareness and providing solid points. He is far from emotional but rather intellectual and sees things from a clear mind that is free from cuqdad and emotions.

I agree with the brother a lot. I'am not attacking Somaliland but ALL of Somalia is a shithole from Mogadishu to Hargeisa to Bosaso etc. But we Somalis are too emotional and backwards to see why we are failing as people.

Our people are getting all jolly happy over a tiny strip of second-hand pavement whilst the world are busy creating advanced transport networks with high-speed train systems. Somaliland is no different to the other administrations in Somalia. It is all based on qabil, not so long ago did Feysal Cali Waraabe admitted that 80% of Somaliland budget is taken by the Isaaq clan. But also all those budget don't go the Isaaq people but a handful of politicians that buy houses and Villas in the Middle East.

The only reason why the world has advanced is because they know how to work together and lived together, whilst the Somalis would rather prefer to be balkanised and attempt to create their own so-called government. But reality is that no single clan in Somalia can produce a advanced society, the only way to make our society advanced is through unity and brotherhood. How do you expect Somaliland to be successful when you are denying your neighbours (Dhulbhanate, Warsangali, Gadabuursi, Gabooye, Ciise) their rights?

We will forever remain a laughing stock unless we stop this backward mentality.

I wish all regions in Somalia peace and prosperity, but also unity amongst all Somali clans. My dream is the day Somalis unite for the better and not for worse. :up:

Good God and I thought i made myself clear in my earlier post!!smh
Last edited by Cherine on Sun May 18, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XimanJaale
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby XimanJaale » Sun May 18, 2014 4:01 pm

Do you know why Somaliland and rest of Somalia is a shithole? Because of mentalities like this:
Harris are owned pets in sl, they pay their taxes and the government uses those taxes to buy the bullets that kill them :pac:

BoholKing
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby BoholKing » Sun May 18, 2014 4:09 pm

It is all about work ethic. Step one stop chewing khat. When I go back home I will try to lobby for the ban of all use of khat in my ancestral
villages and towns.

BigBreak
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby BigBreak » Sun May 18, 2014 4:10 pm

why cant some zoomalians get it through their thick skulls that we somalilanders want to be separate from their country jheeze :lol: if somaliland is doing bad its for us somalilanders to discuss NOBODY else so butt out of our internal affairs.

ps somaliland is much better after 1991 than before 1991 FACT.....this alone vindicates our decision to leave the cursed union with :som:

viva republic of somaliland :dj:

Methylamine
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Methylamine » Sun May 18, 2014 4:14 pm

It is all about work ethic. Step one stop chewing khat. When I go back home I will try to lobby for the ban of all use of khat in my ancestral
villages and towns.
Banning it outright will do more harm than good; placing high tariffs on it will force the average Farax to work for his minjin. The money made from that can be used to fund educational programs teaching the youth about the social ills of khat. The next generation won't even go near it :up:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.