Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Area of Somaliland towns and other towns in the horn

Dedicated for Somaliland politics and affairs.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
libaaxyare
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: The Area of Somaliland towns and other towns in the horn

Postby libaaxyare » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:43 am

greater Cairo size 1,709 km2
Johannesburg, Area 1,645 km²
Mogadishu, Area1,657 km²

Nairobi, Area 696 km²

Addis Ababa, 527 km² Area

Rambie
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Rambie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:05 am

I really think Gabiely, Borama and Lascanood and others are underrated when you compare it to 2005 estimations.

abdikarim86
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby abdikarim86 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:17 am

Mogadishu itself comes to around 90 km2 give or take a few km2 (see previous posts)

However when you take into consideration Ceelasha Biyaha, Afgooye and the wider Banaadir urban area
it is considerably larger.

Afgooye - image from January 2015 - area 5.16 km2

Urban area between Afgooye and Mogadishu - image from March 2015 - area 17.43 km2 (a lot of buildings lie outside
the polygon but there are quite a lot of open spaces within the polygon - I'm hoping they compensate each other)

Banaadir urban area totals around 113 km2 give or take a few km2 - by far the largest in the Somali region
You can also make out rapid growth when you compare images from various time periods.

Rambie
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Rambie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:49 am

Regarding the coastal towns/cities,

It would be more appropriate if you excluded
the port, warehouses from the town when making that line.
How come Berbera & Kisamayo are measured without the port and Mogadishu, Djibouti and Bosaso are included partially?

Also, Airport facilities in major cities should be taken into consideration too.

GeoSeven
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Out of my mind somewhere...always somewhere, never an exact location.

Postby GeoSeven » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:23 am

This thread is by fair the most accurate and unbiased area calculation I've come across on snet. Bear in mind that city size probes are a favorite pastime on the forum :lol:

PrinceNugaalHawd
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby PrinceNugaalHawd » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:11 am

Mogadisho is no way 5+ mllion, and it is not the 5th largest metro area in Africa. Somalis are not that many.

Abdikarim is more accurate, Plus Mogadishu is around 1+ million.

KingWaslawi
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Kayd-kii jacaylkaa riyo laygu keenaa, kabbo baan idhaahdaa, mise waaba koob madhan :(

Postby KingWaslawi » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:45 am

Wikipedia says :lol: :lol:

I can edit that less than 5 mins and replace it with dhuusamareeb as top five

Rambie
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Rambie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:13 pm

Dude you're right.

Dhusamareeb is larger than Xamar.

:ohhh: :ohhh: :ohhh:

KingWaslawi
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Kayd-kii jacaylkaa riyo laygu keenaa, kabbo baan idhaahdaa, mise waaba koob madhan :(

Postby KingWaslawi » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:18 pm

^^
:lol:

PrinceNugaalHawd
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby PrinceNugaalHawd » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:26 pm

That towns name need to be changed lol Dhuusamareeb

:lol: :lol:

libaaxyare
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby libaaxyare » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:37 pm

Go and try to edit, only facts backup by a real UN or similar accurate data stays on wiki. Facts and its the reason why Mogadishu is on top 5 because its linked real data when measured km square all around.

Togdeer
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Togdeer » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:51 pm

They are all small towns. You can walk from one corner to the other. I class most of them as villages. The only two places that deserve to be called cities are hargeisa and xamar.

thegoodshepherd
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby thegoodshepherd » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:51 pm

I enclosed urban areas within a polygon, this area was measured by Computer software.

I may be accused of bias when it comes to what was contained within the polygon but NOT the actual measurements.
The screen shots clearly show that I tried to contain most urban areas within the defined polygon.

I have clearly tried to be objective and I've clearly shown my sources so that others may see for themselves.
Daarood faan as a counter argument/refutation is just NOT gonna cut it ...ma fahamtay.

Burco is much larger than Boosaso ...either deal with it or prove me wrong.

As for wealth, Burco is the gathering place for the vast majority of livestock destined for Berbera,
from where 3.6 million heads of livestock are exported yearly. This accounts for the majority of exports
from the Somali region.

Burco has the largest livestock market in the horn and the wealthiest livestock traders.
These figures can easily be proven with sources.

And you have the nerve to equate Burco with Gaalkacyo ....bilaa calayk
faanka yaree :lol:

Burco is not much bigger than Galkacyo. The problem is that the points which you selected for perimeter are pretty biased. The computer may calculate the area but there is bias always. But Galkacyo is now bigger in terms of livestock export. Burco was overtaken in 2010 according to the UN.
http://goo.gl/G4EsnZ

Bosaso on the other hand has natural constraints to growth, it cannot grow in area much due to the mountains around it.

It is not faan when Jigjiga, Bosaso, Garissa, Kismayo, Galkacyo, Lasanod, Garowe, Wajir, Godey, all seperated by a thousand kilometers or so all belong to one clan. We are more dispersed while everyone else is relativly more concentrated. Mogadishu, Beledweyne, Hargeisa and Burco are multiclan cities, while the only multiclan city we have is Kismayo. Each of our clans has their own urban center. It is like comparing apples to oranges.

KingWaslawi
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby KingWaslawi » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:58 pm

^^^^
Isn't a Bosaso, Gaalkacyo, Jijiga, are all multi-clans. Faanoole fari kama qodna.

abdikarim86
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby abdikarim86 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:05 pm

I enclosed urban areas within a polygon, this area was measured by Computer software.

I may be accused of bias when it comes to what was contained within the polygon but NOT the actual measurements.
The screen shots clearly show that I tried to contain most urban areas within the defined polygon.

I have clearly tried to be objective and I've clearly shown my sources so that others may see for themselves.
Daarood faan as a counter argument/refutation is just NOT gonna cut it ...ma fahamtay.

Burco is much larger than Boosaso ...either deal with it or prove me wrong.

As for wealth, Burco is the gathering place for the vast majority of livestock destined for Berbera,
from where 3.6 million heads of livestock are exported yearly. This accounts for the majority of exports
from the Somali region.

Burco has the largest livestock market in the horn and the wealthiest livestock traders.
These figures can easily be proven with sources.

And you have the nerve to equate Burco with Gaalkacyo ....bilaa calayk
faanka yaree :lol:

Burco is not much bigger than Galkacyo. The problem is that the points which you selected for perimeter are pretty biased. The computer may calculate the area but there is bias always. But Galkacyo is now bigger in terms of livestock export. Burco was overtaken in 2010 according to the UN.
http://goo.gl/G4EsnZ

Bosaso on the other hand has natural constraints to growth, it cannot grow in area much due to the mountains around it.

It is not faan when Jigjiga, Bosaso, Garissa, Kismayo, Galkacyo, Lasanod, Garowe, Wajir, Godey, all seperated by a thousand kilometers or so all belong to one clan. We are more dispersed while everyone else is relativly more concentrated. Mogadishu, Beledweyne, Hargeisa and Burco are multiclan cities, while the only multiclan city we have is Kismayo. Each of our clans has their own urban center. It is like comparing apples to oranges.
You have turned this into a comparison between clans when it comes to population.
All this might be interesting but this topic solely deals with the area of Somali towns.

If you want a clan population topic - start a new thread. :idea:

As to the biases you accuse me off ...I freely admitted that I may be biased however
the screenshots show that I have tried to be objective.

Knowing that I might be accused of bias I tried to be as objective as possible when
it comes to Isaaq towns

When it comes to Burco I excluded 4 inhabited areas in the vicinity of Burco
(2 to the North and one to the East and one to the South-east ) to try and compensate for any open spaces
that may have been within the polygon I draw up for Burco. (you can view these areas on Google maps/earth where the images are recent).

Bosaso is a compact city and is not spread out like Burco - Therefore it was much easier to
contain all the urban areas within the polygon (there are still open spaces within the polygon though).

To top it all ...my screenshots show this clearly

Whether you believe it or not - these estimations are more or less accurate, give or take a few km2.

As for the Livestock quip, below is a source from FSNAU (some UN agency funded by USAID,UKAID etc.)
clearly supporting my argument that the majority of livestock is exported from Berbera.

The source shows exports from Berbera and Bosaso from every year from as early as the mid 90s

It is common knowledge that most of the animals exported from Berbera is sourced from Burco livestock
market.

http://www.fsnau.org/downloads/Market-D ... y-2015.pdf

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.