Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hundreds flee deadly gunbattles in Kismayo

Daily chitchat on Somali politics.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
grandpakhalif
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Posts: 30325
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:32 am
Location: Darul Kufr
Contact:

Hundreds flee deadly gunbattles in Kismayo

Postby grandpakhalif » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:52 pm

At least 18 people have been killed in gunbattles in the disputed southern Somalian port city of Kismayu, residents have said.

Hundreds were fleeing the clashes on Saturday, the first since several former warlords staked rival claims on the lucrative port and fertile hinterlands in May.

Gunmen from the Ras Kamboni armed group of Ahmed Madobe, recently self-appointed "president" of the southern Jubaland region, battled against forces loyal to Iftin Hassan Basto, another leader claiming to be president.

"Fighting started when soldiers from Ras Kamboni attacked and tried to arrest me," Basto said.

"But my men fought back and defended me."

Several rival factions claim ownership of Kismayo, a former stronghold of the Al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabab, where Kenyan troops in an African Union force are now based.

Kismayu residents counted at least 13 bodies, nearly all armed men, in the sandy streets of two neighbourhoods which witnessed the brunt of Saturday's fighting. Five people were killed a day earlier when the clashes first broke out.

"The Ras Kamboni militia now controls this part of the city," said Bile Nur, a resident of Kismayu's Calanleey district.

Residents bury dead

"Residents are burying the dead of the militia driven out while Ras Kamboni are burying theirs."

Residents hid indoors earlier as fighters riding in machine gun-mounted pick-up trucks battled for territorial control.

Businesses remained shut and the streets of Somalia's second biggest city were empty of civilians as mortar blasts rang out.

Kismayu was controlled by al-Shabab until last September when the armed groups fled an offensive by Kenyan troops supported by Ras Kamboni, an armed group loyal to a former governor of Kismayu, Ahmed Madobe.

A local assembly last month declared Madobe president of the southern Jubaland region, handing him back control of Kismayu.

But Somalia's central government, which does not view Madobe favourably, said his appointment was unconstitutional.

Within days three other men had pronounced themselves president, including Barre Hirale, a pro-Mogadishu former defence minister.

Fighting broke out when Madobe's fighters stopped another of the claimants from visiting a hotel were Somalia's defence minister and other officials were meeting.

Regional capitals and Western donors were nervous of any reversal of security gains made in Somalia by African Union peacekeepers in the fight against the al Qaeda-linked fighters, seen as a threat to stability in east Africa and beyond.

Mogadishu has said there is no going back to civil war, but government-led talks on Kismayu were being stymied by the divisive clan politics that dog Somalia.

Many residents weary of years of turmoil hold little hope for a negotiated end.

http://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/hundre ... 39702.html

original dervish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Posts: 25243
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:08 pm

Re: Hundreds flee deadly gunbattles in Kismayo

Postby original dervish » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:04 pm

J/Land should swiftly eliminate all undesirables from Kismayo.
The hook nosed defence minister should be strung up from the nearest tree.


OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Politics - General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests