Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Al shabab threatens more attacks in Mankal-Disho

Daily chitchat on Somali politics.

Moderator: Moderators

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
User avatar
MrPrestige
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Posts: 10104
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Ceelafweyn-Bancade ' Qardhaasa cadde Yoonisoo, qoodhiyaan ahaye ~~

Al shabab threatens more attacks in Mankal-Disho

Postby MrPrestige » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:45 pm

Somali Islamists threaten more carnage after attack on U.N. base

Thursday, June 20, 2013


Somalia's Islamist al Shabaab rebel group threatened to keep attacking "disbelievers" without respite, a day after launching a deadly assault against the United Nations in the capital Mogadishu.

Security was tight on Thursday as Somali army pick-up trucks mounted with heavy machine guns blocked the main road linking the city center with the fortified airport and nearby U.N. base that was targeted. A water canon truck blasted away bloodstains on the street.


The al Qaeda-linked militants were driven out of Mogadishu almost two years ago by African peacekeepers and government troops. Wednesday's attack, which killed 22 people including four foreigners, highlighted the fragility of security gains and the insurgents' ability to strike at government-controlled areas.

"Our aim is to expel the disbelievers from Muslim lands," Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab, al Shabaab's spokesman for military operations, told Reuters.

"Until that goal is achieved, the disbelievers will never find a safe haven in Mogadishu or in any other Muslim land. Not today, not tomorrow, not as long as a single Muslim is alive."

The loss of urban territory and revenue streams in the last two years has weakened al Shabaab as a conventional fighting force, leading it to resort to a guerrilla-style insurgency.

Western powers, which have long worried that Somalia could provide a launchpad for militant Islam in east Africa and beyond, fear it could slide back into chaos if local forces cannot cement gains.

"NEED TO RE-FOCUS"

A Somalia analyst said the government had been distracted by its bid to extend its influence beyond Mogadishu, in particular a row over who controls the strategic southern port of Kismayu, and had not focused enough on keeping its heartland secure.

"They've taken their eye off the ball," Abdirashid Hashi of the Mogadishu-based Heritage Institute for Policy Studies told Reuters. "They need to re-focus on security in Mogadishu."

The militants on Wednesday detonated a car bomb outside the main United Nations compound in Mogadishu before several gunmen breached the perimeter wall. They shot dead four foreigners including one U.N. employee and three contractors.

Somali guards pinned the assailants back with volleys of sustained gunfire, preventing the attackers from penetrating deeper into the U.N. premises where some staff sought refuge in a safe zone and others hid in their offices.

African Union peacekeepers and government soldiers joined a fierce gunbattle that lasted about 90 minutes before the militant fighters were killed. Somalia's government said some exploded suicide vests.

The U.N.'s international staff spent the night at the airport, which is ringed by blast walls and watchtowers and serves as the peacekeepers' main base.

The United States condemned the attack, which it said highlighted "the repugnant terrorist tactics al Shabaab continues to use to stand in the way of efforts to ease the suffering of Somali people."

At his election in September, Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud said security was "priority number one, two and three." The security forces need rebuilding, but the cash-strapped government faces a struggle to pay and arm recruits, tackle corruption and prevent rebels infiltrating their ranks.

(Additional reporting by Drazen Jorgic and Richard Lough in Nairobi; Writing by Richard Lough; Editing by Edmund Blair and Mark Trevelyan)


http://hiiraan.com/news4/2013/Jun/29930 ... _base.aspx

User avatar
FarhanYare
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Posts: 17372
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:06 pm
Location: Location:Location

Re: Al shabab threatens more attacks in Mankal-Disho

Postby FarhanYare » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:07 pm

war qashiinkaan (alshabaab) dhiib badna far outtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!! ilahoow ka qaabo umada waxaan wada caqli lix saac eeh :down:


OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Politics - General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests