Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Everything you ever wanted to know about Wikipedia

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Lovingit

Everything you ever wanted to know about Wikipedia

Postby Lovingit » Thu May 28, 2015 1:33 pm

Greetings Somalinetters! :up:

I am a former member of Wikipedia, having officially retired as an editor on May 25, 2015. My handle there was Middayexpress and I focused on the Horn WikiProjects (Somalia, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea).

I am here today to share my overall experience during my seven long years editing Wikipedia. I would also like to invite you guys to join the website, and field any questions you may have about how things really work over there.

I first joined Wikipedia way back in 2008. At the time, the pages within the Horn WikiProjects were in substandard shape. This was, however, mainly due to indifference rather than a few bad faith editors specifically targeting them. With the help of some good faith Horn editors, these WikiProjects eventually evolved into among the better ones on the website. If you've ever read any of its Somali, Ethiopian or Eritrean related pages, chances are I probably had at least something to do with them.

The best thing about serving as an editor on the Horn WikiProjects is that one can channel one's knowledge on the Horn in a constructive way. For example, abtirsi-related edits are probably the single most popular type of edit by Somali contributors. Everyone is an expert on clan lineages especially their own, as I'm sure you're already aware. ;)

Another advantage is that one gets to see the actual inner workings of Wikipedia. That includes identifying any vandals or detractors, which one can then do something about.

To join the website, you can register in the following link; it should take only a few minutes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... fromhttp=1

I recommend then contacting the editor below, AcidSnow. He is now in charge of overseeing the proper functioning of the Horn WikiProjects, and he has agreed to mentor any new members:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:AcidSnow

I should also quickly warn you that there are a handful of ajnabi editors that do not want you guys to join Wikipedia. You can probably imagine why they are so worried. :lol: One of them actually threatened to give you a hard time even before you registered (not that that will have any effect whatsoever). Another tried to prevent me from inviting you to join the website by invoking a wiki policy known as "canvassing". This canvassing policy is basically a gag order that forbids wiki editors from discussing Wikipedia-related matters in off-wiki venues and even in some areas on that website. However, since I am no longer a wiki editor, I am not bound by its rules.

This freedom of association is actually one of the chief reasons why I decided to finally retire from that website. The main reason, though, is because it was just time for me to move on and hand over the mantle to a new generation of Horn editors.

On the point of wiki detractors (including who they are and what they've attempted to do), there is a lot more I would like to write. But first I'd like to field any questions Somalinetters may have.

McD30

Re: Everything you ever wanted to know about Wikipedia

Postby McD30 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:07 pm

Hello. I've edited on Wikipedia a few times, not on the Horn of Africa projects. What initially made you join Wikipedia and what was your initial experience like?

TheGrumpyGeeljire
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby TheGrumpyGeeljire » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:34 pm

:pacspit: :pacspit: Waar ama adiguu ahaa kii maapka Somaliland badaley. Dhandhaan :pacspit:

thegoodshepherd
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby thegoodshepherd » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:51 pm

Hello middayexpress, I am Thegoodshepherd.

I wanted to edit the Kenya article section about ethnic groups size. There is a bastard by the name of materialscientist who obstructed every attempt I made of adding Somali to the ethnic groups list. I even posted the Kenyan census of 2009 and he deleted it and uploaded the CIA world factbook.

What can the average user do about such flagrant abuse by an editor??

Itrah
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Itrah » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:53 pm

Middayexpress, wow you DID SO MUCH WORK for the Somali wiki pages... damn. Look at that guy's editing history. Almost like a job.

Itrah
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Itrah » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:59 pm

The qabiil wiki pages are especially a mess. So much trolling goes on there.

McD30

Postby McD30 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:28 am

I've seen the Somali qabiil pages and they seem alright, perhaps there may be trolls now and then. I'm no longer on the site but I remember the Horn of Africa projects like Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, Djibouti are some of the smallest on the site. I think the Somali one probably has less than 10 contributors on there. The problem with Wikipedia is that there's always users on there with an agenda.

SahanGalbeed
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby SahanGalbeed » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

I saw once on wikipedia that Kush according to the hebrews was the" cursed son"
How can the biggest wanderers of human history call anybody else "cursed "?

no to "whitification" a semitic character trait !!

Buraanbur
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Buraanbur » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:16 pm

Greetings Somalinetters! :up:

I am a former member of Wikipedia, having officially retired as an editor on May 25, 2015. My handle there was Middayexpress and I focused on the Horn WikiProjects (Somalia, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea).

I am here today to share my overall experience during my seven long years editing Wikipedia. I would also like to invite you guys to join the website, and field any questions you may have about how things really work over there.

I first joined Wikipedia way back in 2008. At the time, the pages within the Horn WikiProjects were in substandard shape. This was, however, mainly due to indifference rather than a few bad faith editors specifically targeting them. With the help of some good faith Horn editors, these WikiProjects eventually evolved into among the better ones on the website. If you've ever read any of its Somali, Ethiopian or Eritrean related pages, chances are I probably had at least something to do with them.

The best thing about serving as an editor on the Horn WikiProjects is that one can channel one's knowledge on the Horn in a constructive way. For example, abtirsi-related edits are probably the single most popular type of edit by Somali contributors. Everyone is an expert on clan lineages especially their own, as I'm sure you're already aware. ;)

Another advantage is that one gets to see the actual inner workings of Wikipedia. That includes identifying any vandals or detractors, which one can then do something about.

To join the website, you can register in the following link; it should take only a few minutes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... fromhttp=1

I recommend then contacting the editor below, AcidSnow. He is now in charge of overseeing the proper functioning of the Horn WikiProjects, and he has agreed to mentor any new members:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:AcidSnow

I should also quickly warn you that there are a handful of ajnabi editors that do not want you guys to join Wikipedia. You can probably imagine why they are so worried. :lol: One of them actually threatened to give you a hard time even before you registered (not that that will have any effect whatsoever). Another tried to prevent me from inviting you to join the website by invoking a wiki policy known as "canvassing". This canvassing policy is basically a gag order that forbids wiki editors from discussing Wikipedia-related matters in off-wiki venues and even in some areas on that website. However, since I am no longer a wiki editor, I am not bound by its rules.

This freedom of association is actually one of the chief reasons why I decided to finally retire from that website. The main reason, though, is because it was just time for me to move on and hand over the mantle to a new generation of Horn editors.

On the point of wiki detractors (including who they are and what they've attempted to do), there is a lot more I would like to write. But first I'd like to field any questions Somalinetters may have.
Is it true you got pushed out? What's the deal with Buckshot and when are you going to release your exposé on the inner workings of Wikipedia?

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:18 pm

:roll: This entire thread is made up of pathetic, sad people. Mentally decrepit if u will. :eat:

PS Having said that, I love Wikipedia. It fulfills my aristocratic studies thirst. :D

McD30

Postby McD30 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:14 pm

:roll: This entire thread is made up of pathetic, sad people. Mentally decrepit if u will. :eat:

PS Having said that, I love Wikipedia. It fulfills my aristocratic studies thirst. :D
SAYS YOU :pacspit:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.