(By Estera Popowska)
As Nigeria marked the first anniversary of the abduction of 219 school girls by Boko Haram rebels, Nigeria’s president-elect Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday said he could not make promises on their return, AFP reported.
Nigeria’s newly elected leader said there was a need for “honesty” in his new government’s approach to the girls’ abduction, with nothing seen or heard from the students since last May when they appeared in a Boko Haram video.
“We do not know if the Chibok girls can be rescued. Their whereabouts remain unknown. As much as I wish to, I cannot promise that we can find them,” he said in a statement. “But I say to every parent, family member and friend of the children that my government will do everything in its power to bring them home,” Mr. Buhari reportedly said.
AFP says a march was held in Abuja symbolically involving 219 schoolgirls, part of a number of events around the world to mark the abduction, which Amnesty International said was one of 38 since the start of last year that had seen at least 2,000 women taken by the militants.
Meanwhile, The UN and African rights groups also called for an end to the targeting of boys and girls in the conflict, which has left at least 15,000 dead and some 1.5 million people homeless, 800,000 of them children (Source: AFP)