(By Estera Popowska)
A security source said in an updated toll that at least nineteen people were killed, most of the victims beheaded, in Thursday night's attack on a Cameroonian village by Nigeria-based Boko Haram militants.
A security source said Saturday on condition of anonymity that “The final toll from this attack is 19 dead, with a majority of the victims decapitated.”
Earlier, security sources had said 10 civilians were killed in the cross-border raid on the village of Bia in Cameroon's Far North region.
The attack comes after a regional military offensive, which includes Cameroon, has claimed a string of successes in their fightback against the Islamist militants in Nigeria in recent weeks. Bia, which borders Lake Chad, has been identified previously by security forces as a recruiting ground for Boko Haram militants.
The source speaking to AFP on Saturday said security forces were slow to react to the raid on Bia, located in an area with several military bases.
“We noted a late response by our forces," the source reportedly said adding that “Many huts were burned down."
The killings and brutality by Boko Haram , which is seeking to create a hardline Islamic state, has claimed atleast 13,000 lives in northeast Nigeria and rendered 1.5 million homeless since 2009.
In recent months, Boko Haram reportedly widened its attacks into neighboring nations, prompting Chad, Cameroon and Niger to launch a joint offensive with the Nigerian army, resulting in a series of rebel-held towns and villages being recaptured in Nigeria's northeast (Agencies)