Gunmen stormed four villages in northern Nigeria's restive Borno state killing at least 43 people, local official and residents said Tuesday according to Xinhua.
Nigeria’s police reportedly said the attacks took place last weekend in Monguno, an area that has suffered deadly violence in the past. But Xinhua says Borno State police chief, Aderemi Opadokun, declined to give the exact casualty figures but said the militant group Boko Haram was suspected to be behind the attacks.
Local officials put the death toll so far at 43, adding that the number could rise as scores of others sustained injuries in the attacks, according to Xinhua. Bukar Abdullahi, a local chief, said the gunmen slit people's throats of residents and fired at fleeing crowds. "This happened for several hours," he reportedly said. Another local chief named Baba Maigoro, said the gunmen also took away the villagers' property.
Reports claim the attacks were carried out in typical Boko Haram style, who has been targeting civilians to cause panic and mount pressure on the government. Boko Haram has reportedly killed more than 13,000 people since its insurgency started in 2009.