(By Estera Popowska)
Despite President Pierre Nkurunziza's order for an immediate stop to the demonstrations against his third term bid, protests continued in Burundi on Monday, Africa Review reported. The Burundian head of state who reportedly survived a coup attempt last week, has claimed that the demonstrators were collaborators of the coup plotters.
Mr. Nkurunziza reportedly made the claim after sneaking back into the country from Tanzania where he was attending a regional mediation on Burundi when his brief overthrow was announced. "It is clear that all the protesters closely collaborated with the putschists and the rebels who attacked the country last year in Cibitoke Province," said the President.
Former Defence minister and one of the coup leaders Cyrille Ndayirukiye claimed Defence minister Potien Gaciyubwenge and army chief Prime Niyongabo were all behind the failed coup. Early Monday, soldiers were deployed around the capital Bujumbura to stop the protests and clear the barricades erected on the main streets.
"'We won't stop protesting until President Nkurunziza steps down, but what we are witnessing on the ground is scary," said an activist who wished to remain anonymous for safety reasons. The activist reportedly said Burundi was at a great risk because of the apparent division in the military. Soldiers were spotted arguing among themselves Monday morning in Musaga, one of the hotspots of the protests.